TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121722 ... LastLast

Thread: The Witcher 3

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by Beleg Cúthalion View Post
    I liked that he admitted that the sweeshing sound of drawn swords is a Hollywood trope. A bit sad that they didn't completely get rid of it, though. But then again, the also fencing is still Hollywood-like ridiculous mostly, so I shouldn't hope for revelations in that aspect in the first place.
    I love it how you're getting annoyed at a lack of authenticity in a fantasy game where you play as a magical dude who hunts mythological monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Delayed again - May 19th, 2015 now.

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-witcher-3-delayed-again/
    Awesome news! I can put off paying off the $280ish for the collector's edition even longer.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    I love it how you're getting annoyed at a lack of authenticity in a fantasy game where you play as a magical dude who hunts mythological monsters.
    In his defense, I think it's a bit different. I mean, if you suspend your disbelief enough to image a medieval history version where magic and monsters existed, the laws of physics should still hold true in most ways. Ergo, the sounds should be normal, unless all swords are somehow magically enchanted (which they aren't). I also think the "Hollywood" part of the trope makes it worse, as those tend to be even more over-used than just your average "hey lets put that in cause it's cool" stuff most games/movies do.

verbose douchebag
    I thought it was put in to enhance the drama, which is fair game for a fantasy game surely. If it was a sword-fighting sim, I'd be more inclined to see unrealistic sword-drawing sounds as a problem.

I'm also relieved to hear that it is getting delayed to be honest as I can't see myself getting the chance to play all the current games I want to get (or install from my backlog), let alone all the other upcoming games as well.

Elder Blood trailer in hi-res:

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_the_wi...-16119_en.html

Opening Cinematic:

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    I thought it was put in to enhance the drama, which is fair game for a fantasy game surely. If it was a sword-fighting sim, I'd be more inclined to see unrealistic sword-drawing sounds as a problem.
    Oh yea, personally, I have no problem with the the sounds, I was just disagreeing with Eva's notion that "if it has magic and dragons you can't argue about realism/tropes" stance.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Aside from the points mentioned, the game/books draw heavily on real-world stuff (I'd use the term "steal" if I hadn't this 1% of doubt that my impression of the books is spoiled by the German translation) and employs "realistic" sub-systems in its fantasy setting. So, as long as their is no indication of sword scabbards being different from what is implied, I complain (only a little) if they differ from what I consider this sub-system to be. For instance I don't complain about the ridiculously unrealistic way to draw swords from one's back since it's explicitly stated to be a peculiarity of this world. If it was stated that its roughly 15th century scabbards were made from steel like 19th century sabre scabbards, I wouldn't complain about the swooshing noise either.

And I believe we've had all of this before.

Ciri confirmed to be a second playable character in the game, both as a child and as an adult.

Young Ciri:

Older Ciri:

Zoltan:

Full res here.

Quote Originally Posted by bukary View Post
    Ciri confirmed to be a second playable character in the game, both as a child and as an adult.
    Oooh that's interesting. I wonder if that means flashbacks to scenes from the books, or if CDProjekt has something else up their sleeves...?

verbose douchebag
    I'm going to need a faster PC /royscheider

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    I'm also relieved to hear that it is getting delayed to be honest as I can't see myself getting the chance to play all the current games I want to get (or install from my backlog), let alone all the other upcoming games as well.
    Pity, as the number of current games that I am interested in playing is 0.

This delay aggravates me.

verbose douchebag
    Indulge in some nostalgia. There's always something worth playing.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    I'm going to need a faster PC /royscheider
    It's not so much speed, but muscle which is by far the primary requirement.

verbose douchebag
    Well yeah, the PC will remain stationary.

Nor flex...

Level 10,000 achieved
    Man that looks so good! The Witcher series is one of those I keep getting hyped up about every new installment off even though I don't actually seem to enjoy the games. I bought both of the previous games and gave up on them fairly early. Of course I gotta get this one as well, even though I'll probablly get bored and frustrated by the complexity pretty fast.

I've said this before, but the worst parts of both Witcher games are definitely at the start. I gave up on the first Witcher shortly after getting to the end of the first castle and it was months again before I decided to give it another try. My next attempt was just as short and my general feeling was that I really couldn't be bothered with it. I can't remember what made me go back to trying it again but what eventually made me stick with it was a growing feeling of how much more organic and responsive the world seemed compared to most of the other RPGs that I had played. At some point soon after I was hooked, and couldn't put the thing down again. I had a similar experience with the first one but that was mainly to do with a tutorial that was much harder than the actual game. The rest of it was utter magic however.

There's a lot in the Witcher games I should like, but I haven't much enjoyed either the first or the second one, mainly because of the writing. I see what they're going for, but the tonal mess puts me off, as do the sub-Deadwood stabs at mature language. Too often, the games felt less like they're presenting real characters and real-world problems in a fantasy universe and more like a teenager trying for the aforementioned but not quite managing. If the writing was up to the visual artistry, I think I'd be much more favourably disposed towards the games.

Huh, I actually found the writing excellent, at least for a video game. Then again, I'm playing it in polish, and I have no idea how is the translation like. In polish it sounds like.... a bit exaggerated and spot-on parody of how Poles actually talk like . It's extremely funny.

But yeah, it's definately not very mature.

What I think sucks in Witcher 2 is the gameplay, or more specifically - the battle system. The controls are unresponsive among other things. CD Projekt RED just doesn't know how to make an action game.

Yea I'm with severan, I played it in Polish too and loved the writing, I thought it reflected the book style well. But watching the trailer, the "fucks" and "cocksuckers" sound weird In English . I think it might be partly the translation. Maybe the polish slurs fit the setting more organically then?

That being said, the trailer looks awesome And there seems to be so much to do. It almost feels... overwhelming? Like, one of those games you'd need to sink 200 hours into and keep track of 50 differentry things to really get thru. But then I'm also not a huge fan of open world games.

The first 15 minutes of the game:

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121722 ... LastLast