TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 26 123456111621 ... LastLast

Thread: The Witcher 3

verbose douchebag
    I must get around to completing the first two games at some point.

Southquarter.com/fms
    There's another Witcher book out later this year (I've only read one of them so far) but maybe Witcher3 will tie into the book being released somehow.

Couldn't help but be a bit disappointed though to hear that the author of the books doesn't really have much input on the game, nor does he really care much about gaming as a whole.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...bout-the-games

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    There's another Witcher book out later this year (I've only read one of them so far) but maybe Witcher3 will tie into the book being released somehow.
    Oh really? I thought the series was pretty much done with. But then, with the games re-sparking public interest, it doesn't surprise me to come back.

EDIT: So reading the Eurogamer article actually makes me dislike Sapkowski a bit, even tho I am a fan of the novles. Few saddening quotes:

The Witcher' is a well made video game ... But in no way can it be considered to be an 'alternative version', nor a 'sequel' to the witcher Geralt stories. Because this can only be told by Geralt's creator. A certain Andrzej Sapkowski."
    'Transfer a book into a virtual world'? Funny. It's impossible
    I realise that current times accustom us - which I find terrible - to the strange convergence of media and the freedom of mixing them.
    ... in reality ... as my success beat the games to the punch.
    A story can only be contained in a book.

Sounds like he's kind of possessive and close-minded
    Last edited by Yakoob; 1st Feb 2013 at 22:33.

I think Brethren meant the long overdue english release of Times of Contempt. Sapkowski IS apparently writing a "sidequel" of some sort currently, but any info is minimal at this point, no release date either.

Also, yeah, Sapkowski can be rather... curmudgeonly, but I think the english translation of the interview makes him sound even worse than the original ( http://www.eurogamer.pl/articles/201...gra-w-wiedmina ).
    Last edited by van HellSing; 2nd Feb 2013 at 00:18.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

RE: Sapkowski's opinions on games. Big fucking whoop. I'm a firm believer that an artist's works should be divorced from the artist's opinions/personal beliefs/etc and be judged on their own merits.

Eg appreciating the first two albums by Oasis and completely ignoring that both Gallagher brothers are massive twats IRL.
    ENJOYING THE GAMES EARTHWORM JIM 1&2 AND SHADOW COMPLEX

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    hooray for giving bigots money

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    RE: Sapkowski's opinions on games. Big fucking whoop. I'm a firm believer that an artist's works should be divorced from the artist's opinions/personal beliefs/etc and be judged on their own merits.

Eg appreciating the first two albums by Oasis and completely ignoring that both Gallagher brothers are massive twats IRL.
    ENJOYING THE GAMES EARTHWORM JIM 1&2 AND SHADOW COMPLEX
    Yeah, it's one of the most annoying things, when people hate on something because the author said this or that when the product itself is stellar. Also the fact that a product itself can have an ugly side and still be an amazing thing (Birth of the Nation/racism for a classic example).

I never got too far with Witcher. I felt it was awfully restricted and dull. I guess my biggest gripe was that the game world felt really fucking small - I constantly bumped into invisible walls and felt that I was literally pushed through a funnel. The combat didn't feel too intuitive either albeit I liked how it different from just hack and slash. Thus I never tried Witcher2, because I felt that there's no point,when I haven't finished the story of the first one.

Oasis was always garbage though

Quote Originally Posted by Kuuso View Post
    Oasis was always garbage though
    Duude, listen to this tune and tell me that they are garbage again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx9SD6-a_GY
    They were garbage after the first two albums, but the first two were stellar.

I liked Witcher 1, it had its shortcomings but overall was good. Witcher 2 on the other hand

verbose douchebag
    You know taste is subjective right?

[EDIT] I kept getting bored during The Witcher, but I think it was largely due to not being in the mood for it. I'll have to think carefully before I start it again as I only think I can re-do the first 8 hours of the game once more before I call it a day.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Dude, zajazd is a known troll, do not engage. He may actually be the 2nd worst poster on TTLG still extant.

I've tried so hard to get into the Witcher myself but it just wasn't happening. I dunno, the combat wasn't doing it for me, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    You know taste is subjective right?
    Yes, I know that taste is subjective, but common sense isn't.

Pretty much everything Oasis did you could find 5 bands doing better a few years earlier.

Aaaanyway, I wish they'd learn not to abuse bloom already.

Chakat sex pillow
    I fail to see how light shafts count as 'bloom abuse'. Witcher 2 did it in spades, though, I won't deny.

I meant the inexplicably incandescent patches of ground, if it wasn't obvious enough.

Chakat sex pillow
    You mean the one bit of cliff in the distance, and the UFO transport beams? Okay then.

Chakat sex pillow
    Aaaaaaaaand yeah, chalk it down to it being 3:30 in the morning. I scrolled right up.

You win this round.

Quote Originally Posted by zajazd View Post
    Duude, listen to this tune and tell me that they are garbage again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx9SD6-a_GY
    They were garbage after the first two albums, but the first two were stellar.

I liked Witcher 1, it had its shortcomings but overall was good. Witcher 2 on the other hand
    Horribly dull. The Nickelback of Britpop.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuuso View Post
    I never got too far with Witcher. I felt it was awfully restricted and dull. I guess my biggest gripe was that the game world felt really fucking small - I constantly bumped into invisible walls and felt that I was literally pushed through a funnel.
    That basically sums up the tutorial in the fortress, but the game opens up after that letting you roam around the whole village; did you not get that far or also found that portion restrictive (which, I can see how)?

One of the problems the witcher had was quest timing: "I need to wait till midnight to do X", followed by "X is done, I need to wait till noon to tell Y", which was clever, semi-realistic and quite engaging, since it made the world feel slightly less 'entirely revolving around you', but it also meant that the overriding impression you were left with was "man, witchers do a fuckton of waiting."

And while they had a fireplace meditation fast-wait mechanic, you needed to find a fireplace first, and then (if it wasn't night time and thus a combat zone that allowed you to FIREBALL) find a flint to light it.

Also, the quests tended to spread across several chapters, often with no real hint that this was the case, leading to you searching for NPCs that were not actually going to spawn until you'd done the next bit of the main quest.

I still haven't finished it: every time I dive back in it just fails to grip me enough.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by zajazd View Post
    Yes, I know that taste is subjective, but common sense isn't.
    Common sense is a cognitive bias. Known troll or no, you could at least try to be good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by van HellSing View Post
    I meant the inexplicably incandescent patches of ground, if it wasn't obvious enough.
    HDR, since the screen is not capable of outputting the same ranges of light we would see in real-life in that very same scenario, it fakes the overbrighted areas due to the eyes having adapted to the dominant dark areas of the scene.

Bad bloom is a scenario like in syndicate where despite having the screen covered with bright areas your in-game eyes do not want to adapt, while in reality they would've and the bloom would've gone away.

CDprojekt have a ton of great artists, they know what they're doing!

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    That basically sums up the tutorial in the fortress, but the game opens up after that letting you roam around the whole village; did you not get that far or also found that portion restrictive (which, I can see how)?
    I don't know, he could be talking about the game in general because compared to the likes of Skyrim etc, The Witcher games are quite linear and boxed in. Even more so with the sequel than the first one.

My biggest wish for the third game would be that they've gone and ripped off the melee combat mechanics from the Souls games. I love a lot of things about the Witcher (the world, writing, moral ambiguity) but the combat been pretty meh in both of them.

A

Quote Originally Posted by DDL View Post
    One of the problems the witcher had was quest timing: "I need to wait till midnight to do X", followed by "X is done, I need to wait till noon to tell Y", which was clever, semi-realistic and quite engaging, since it made the world feel slightly less 'entirely revolving around you', but it also meant that the overriding impression you were left with was "man, witchers do a fuckton of waiting."

And while they had a fireplace meditation fast-wait mechanic, you needed to find a fireplace first, and then (if it wasn't night time and thus a combat zone that allowed you to FIREBALL) find a flint to light it.
    Huh. Frankly while I do remember a few time sensitive quests I don't recall ever having to wait, I always had plenty to do. I used the fast forward mechanic maybe a handful of times, mainly to encounter some night time monster