TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: upversive

Thiefmissions.com

Some useful description of what you expect people to click on would go a long way towards convincing folks this isn't spam.

Its a re-thinking of the Thief gameplay mystic, a first person stealth game. I will be posting more details soon

Is this a game you're working on? Is it a homage to the Dark Project? By adding things, do you mean like procedural things so it's a bit more rogue-like (replayability many times) or new content (replayable 1 time for the new story or gameplay)?

I guess we'll wait for you to give more details or screenshots, since there's not much to reply to so far.
    Good luck with your project anyway.

information seems to be really rare nowadays.

Oooh, can I ask because it will satiate my curiosity... If you make, say, a thing call Upversive in Unity, can you distribute it with level editing / modding tools?

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
    information seems to be really rare nowadays.
    Can't you see how super ....... upversive this is?
    Last edited by nickie; 4th Mar 2013 at 09:22. Reason: A tad too vivid for Thief Gen

Quote Originally Posted by jay pettitt View Post
    Oooh, can I ask because it will satiate my curiosity... If you make, say, a thing call Upversive in Unity, can you distribute it with level editing / modding tools?
    The entire Unity system *is* level editing and modding tools. The only issue I think is if he releases the source files that allow you to open it in the Unity editor. But if it has good gameplay, it would be nice to allow fans to make their own maps for it too...

This is true. But my curiosity persists. Dang. There's two versions of unity, me has heard. A freebie cut down version for everybody to muck around with, and then a posh version with graphics for projects that get serious. Jay (who is ignorant of things Unity) wonders what that means for 3rd party map making / community projects etc etc and whether cheap-skates with the freebie Unity could contribute or make maps for a fancyshamncy Unity Pro project.

So, curiosity being what it is and me being a cat, I went and read a bunch more at the Unity fora and discovered that, basically, Unity Pro isn't modification friendly out the box - with the gaping exception that a very keen developer could develop and ship their own modding tools with their project.

So there you go. Unless anyone knows better.
    Last edited by jay pettitt; 4th Mar 2013 at 06:43.

Thank you for the questions and interest Its a "remake" in the sense of capturing the sense of mistery, stealth, and story telling of the thief franchise. The story itself of course, will be non related with the thief universe, my interest is to tell my own story but with the sense of immersion that the Thief game was master to capture. Of course the unity engine will be able to "mimic" the same feeling but with improvements. It will be multiplayer, a hybrid between singleplayer experience and multiplayer coop experience. Regarding playability im hoping to be able to create a sense of replayability, basicly to avoid a linear gameplay. The level editor option is indeed beeing thinked about Of course its inevitable to avoid the critique of "cloning" since some ideias where just amazing regarding the limitations of the engine backthen, but the core logic remains, the ability to hide from enemies, play with light and shadows, and to outsmart your oponnents. Stay tuned, i will be posting more visual information soon

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Last edited by nickie; 4th Mar 2013 at 13:22. Reason: A tad too vivid for Thief Gen
    Nickie critically fumbles lore reference.

Sorry didnt quite understood the point ...

How far along is this? Is it in the early concept phase? Is there a framework for gameplay in place? Any test levels?

As it stands, it seems all there is right now is "someone has an idea: Do a Dark Mod-like game in Unity". Which is fine, every project is at the concept phase at one point.

Not to replicate the OPDE vs. Dark Mod arguments ("why are you wasting your time on ID Tech 4? It'll never go open source!"/"OPDE will never go anywhere!") but I do wonder why we need yet another Thiefy game in yet another engine.

On one hand- the more the merrier, and there have been one-man projects that really shone. On the other hand, we have TDM, it runs on a truly open-source engine, and if all that fragmented energy were directed in one direction, it might be better.

I see Sorry to "hide in the shadows", its more than an ideia at this stage, that i can tell you. I will post a video soon showing the proper atmosphere.

I didn't want to press on dark mod, but it is worth pointing out, because the engine & game is open source (the sourcecode is here), it is relatively very easy to create a branch game with your own gameplay, and you already have the assets & sneaking mechanic for free. What I mean is, you don't have to even make a dark mod game. You can alter the sourcecode to make your own game. You just have a giant headstart. Unity has its advantages too, but I thought I'd at least let you know that other option is there too.

I can tell that you're really proud of that blue, glowing dais.

Its part of the Homage, i coudnt help it :P
    Last edited by upversive; 7th Mar 2013 at 15:30.

I love it! Playing Thief-like game with android phone? what a great!! Cheers.

Hopefully it will be a more refined Thief experience, since the unity engine has potencial to modernize the gameplay thief model,
    without the dumbing down of modern games.

What do you guys think Thief 1 should have? If it was done "today"?

Quote Originally Posted by htmlsam View Post
    Thief 1 was perfect for me.. so I don't know what should make T1 better

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by htmlsam View Post
    Tighten up the graphics on level 3.

For me some core features where left out, like AI ability to climb ladders, more interactivity with enviroment, more AI tactics, i fell that the AI can easly be tricked especially in combat. What do you mean about level 3?

The inventory system. Thief would have been a much more interesting game with the SS2 inventory.

The ability to move between levels. Again, SS2 solved this.

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast