TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: T2 FM: The Drymian Codex (10 Mar, 2013)

Desperately Dodgy Moderator

T2 FM: The Drymian Codex (10 Mar, 2013)

by Yandros, Random Taffer and Tannar
    Originally planned for the Reloaded Contest II

Version: Release 1.0
    Release Date: Mar 10, 2013

IMPORTANT PLAYING NOTES:
    • THIS FAN MISSION REQUIRES THIEF 2 v1.19 or higher; IT WILL NOT WORK WITH v1.18!
    • If you installed Thief 2 using Tafferpatcher v1.05 or earlier, it is recommended that you reinstall with the latest version to avoid multiple issues with this mission (and probably other missions).
    • Occasionally, AI that are part of a scripted cutscene don’t get teleported out of the world when they’re supposed to. The cause of this was not determined. If you encounter an AI who seems out of place or who behaves strangely, this is likely the reason why.
    • Italiano & Polski: Be sure and set your language correctly in the darkinst.cfg file in your Thief 2 folder before installing the mission.

Download Links
    Thiefmissions: http://thiefmissions.com/m/DrymianCodex
    Southquarter: http://www.southquarter.com/downloads/2013/Codex_v1.zip

Lootlist: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...kRJV2pkcW1lTWc

In the time of unreckoning
    Did the ground not gape?
    Did the void not reveal our peril?
    And did we not cry out in dismay?

Waste not thy breath in vain laments
    But steel thy nerves for the task at hand
    For the Trickster's deceits are legion
    And He seeketh ever to return

Keep thy faith sharp and thy hammer to hand
    Look not aside lest thee stray from the path
    For the world doth hang in the balance
    And the future lieth hostage to our care

-- From the collected writings of St. Fera

Story
    I've been down on my quota of lucrative jobs lately so I've been thinking about what would make a quick and easy score. I rejected a few ideas as being too risky and then remembered hearing about a rare relic supposedly kept at St. Fera's, a Hammerite monastery known for the quality of its beer and the fervor with which the Brothers espouse the Order.

The relic is a hammer reputed to have once belonged to St. Fera and said to have the power to heal. I don't know if I believe that but, true or not, it should fetch a nice sum. This city has no shortage of those with more money than sense.

But what's important for my purposes is that it's nearby and my sources tell me there is, or used to be, an entrance into the compound from the city sewers. If so, that makes my job much easier and I should be able to get in and out without being seen. Just what I need... a quick and easy job.

I'll still need to be careful, though. I hear they've recently adopted a rather rigorous recruiting practice so there are bound to be plenty of guards around. But I've done my share of sneaking around Hammers before... I don't think this job will present any real difficulties.

Credits

The Build Team
    This mission is based on The Monastery of St. Fera (T1) by Goit.
    It was originally ported to T2 and upgraded a little bit by Yandros. Random Taffer then added a lot of areas (sewers, secret hideout, ruined temple, outside streets) and then handed it off to Yandros, who added some more areas (more sewers, crypts, priests’ quarters) and gave it a bunch of spit and polish. After Dark engine 1.19 appeared, Yandros upgraded some textures and effects to take advantage of the new engine capabilities. Finally, Random Taffer added a few more new areas based on testers’ input from Beta 1.
    The story and gameplay were designed by Tannar, Yandros and Random Taffer. Most of the fancy scripting was done by Yandros. Tannar wrote all the texts, which were proofread by Nickie. One text includes an excerpt from the poem "Dumbness" by 17th century poet Thomas Traherne. Tannar also created the amazing maps for the mission.

Testers
    Freddy Fox, Gaetane, Nickie, Nightwalker, Peter Smith

Translations
    French: Azaran, proofreading by Gaetane and Tannar
    German: intruder
    Italian: Sengu, proofreading by Eternauta
    Polish: trudnicki
    Russian: Soldi and clearing (Note: Russian translations are in a separate ZIP file in the mission archive)

Yandros, Random Taffer and Tannar would like to extend a special thanks to the translators, who put a lot of time and effort into translating a lot of text and had to test and verify all of it.

Objects & AI
    Christine & Greenhorn – Bookcases
    Daraan – Trees & bushes
    Dave Guerrea – Bloodstains
    Eshaktaar – Water textures, loose papers, lamps, The Sleeper, jackal statue, hammer, sarcophagi, ancient chest, pretty particle bitmaps
    Ottoj55 - Custom AI, Distant building objects, fancy rune symbols
    LarryG – Custom AI, pile of clothing
    NamelessVoice – Many Enhancement Pack objects, torch, lectern, bracelet, jars, vases, inkwell, cylinder
    PinkDot – Books, bookcases, tables
    R Soul – Turbine, pillar, spiders
    Saturnine – Iron corner trim, smokestack
    Shadowspawn – Custom motion database
    Sliptip – Iron bars
    Targa – Custom AI
    tdbonko – Custom AI, shield, practice dummy
    TheOneTrueThief – Bloodstains
    Vigil – Light shaft, cobwebs
    vurt – Improved lava texture
    The Watcher – Hanging lantern
    Yandros – Pretty much everything else custom
    Special thanks go to LarryG and tdbonko for going above and beyond with creating custom and specialized objects and AI for this mission.

Terrain Textures
    Dave Guerrea, DEDx (Rob Hicks), Eshaktaar, Necrobob, Polygon, Renzatic, thief_gotcha, Vigil, Wille, Yandros

Briefing Movie
    Created by Yandros using VideoPad by NCH Software
    Original artwork by Redface
    Quasar video clip by xavinitram96 - http://youtu.be/W98PJWcbkHg
    Music by Eric Brosius from Thief 1 and Thief 2, arranged by Child of Karras

Note: If the movie is cropped (which it may be with default settings from Tafferpatcher), open cam_ext.cfg in a text editor and find crop_movies. If there is no semicolon in front of it, add one to comment it out.

Note 2: The briefing is in widescreen, but NewDark will mush it horizontally to a 4:3 ratio when playing it in game. So it will fill the screen if you have Thief’s resolution set to a 4:3 resolution, but otherwise will be a little mushed and there will be space on either side. If the movie is instead getting cropped and some of it is cut off the screen, open up cam_ext.cfg and try setting ui_scale_mode 1 (instead of 2) and also perhaps scale_movie_to_ui.

The briefing is also available in HD on Yandros’ YouTube page, here: http://youtu.be/ajlEgJxmCW0

Music
    Eric Brosius – Auldale (Thief: Deadly Shadows)
    Howard Shore – A Storm Is Coming
    Kammarheit – Sleep After Toyle, Port After Stormie Sea
    Lisa Gerrard – Mirror Medusa
    Northaunt – Night Alone, Night Came To Us
    Solitaire (Steve Roach & Elmar Schulte) – Runes
    Two Steps From Hell – Freedom Fighters, Dark Harbor
    Yen Pox – Absolute Zero, Twilight Eternal

All ambient loops created by Yandros, but credit goes to original artists above.

Voices
    Random Taffer – USW Newbie, the Ghost, Mechanist hermit voice custom assembly (from stock sounds)
    Yandros – USW Veteran, Thorn, voice schemas and voice importing
    Thief: Deadly Shadows – Additional voice sets

Scripting
    Custom Scripts: Nameless Voice, Telliamed
    All scripts needed to play the mission are included.
    Last edited by Yandros; 7th May 2013 at 20:43. Reason: Added Lootlist link
    Death's Cold Embrace - Info and screenshots

I would like to personally thank Random Taffer and Tannar for their invaluable help in bringing this thing to life. At first it was to be a simple reload of Fera, then I decided to enter the contest, then I asked RT to help out, and then it kept growing and growing. I'm glad we stuck with it and got this thing done. The scary thing - Gaetane must have felt 5X the relief I do now when she released The Black Frog!

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    I would like to personally thank Random Taffer and Tannar for their invaluable help in bringing this thing to life. At first it was to be a simple reload of Fera, then I decided to enter the contest, then I asked RT to help out, and then it kept growing and growing. I'm glad we stuck with it and got this thing done. The scary thing - Gaetane must have felt 5X the relief I do now when she released The Black Frog!
    The download link goes to Thiefmissions, but then fails...

It works for me when I click the manual link at the bottom of the page, but the usual autostart did not. Try that link and see if it works - it looks like 5 people have downloaded it already.

well i #was# going to get sleep tnite. builder be praised, thx so much!!!

Congratulations guys! It's been a pleasure.

The autostart worked fine for me.

I let Jason know that autostart fails for me on any mission in both Chrome and Firefox, but it's obviously something on my side. The manual link works fine thankfully.

Nickie, it was a pleasure as always to work with you!

Congratulations on the release, Yandros, Random Taffer, and Tannar. This was a monumental achievement and a great mission to test.

The autostart kind of worked for me. It started a download without bringing up the download screen. Thinking it had failed to start, I started another one manually, and then I found I had two downloads going. Anyway, it downloads one way or the other, and the mission runs. Have fun, taffers!

It works for me when I click the manual link at the bottom of the page, but the usual autostart did not. Try that link and see if it works - it looks like 5 people have downloaded it already.
    Hmmm...my internet won't download it for some reason. Just gives me a connection error page.

Disregard! I had a popup thing on. Once I disabled it, the download is running! Thanks for this! Can't wait to start playing!!

Congratulations guys, it was a pleasure helping out with this

BTW, the download worked for me too.

'Cause it's (almost) me birthday and me wants it!

Thanks everyone. Since the original post is huge, in case you missed it, you can watch the briefing in HD here while you download: http://youtu.be/ajlEgJxmCW0

Clearinghouse
    Congratulations guys

For the record, I had no problem with the autostarting download nor the manual download. Using latest Firefox.

Whoohoo! Congrats on the release! As soon as I'm done hunting Bloodsuckers in STALKER I'm giving this a try.

I feel the need to point out something you should be on the lookout for early in the mission. NewDark has an amazing new feature called light-mapped water, which is used in the mission. What this means is that unlike the glow-in-the-dark water you've all gotten used to over the last 13 years, the water's surface is actually lit or shadowed based on surrounding light. The first time I saw it in the mission, I did a double-take because it was just so different than what I was conditioned to expect (and that I had been looking at for a year; this was only added recently). Anyway, it's one of the NewDark features I'm really excited about, and I hope you agree when you see it for the first time.

Congratulations on the release! It was a pleasure to test and never got boring, even after many, many replays, especially one particular area!

A big thanks to Russ (Yandros) for roping me into this last year and to Mike (Tannar) for his excellent construction of all the texts as well as his freaking amazing maps!

::cracks open a Blue Moon::

Cheers, folks! Hope you all enjoy it.

::drinks::

I already opened an Aventinus eisbock and dove into a vat of beer cheese. Cheers Rob and Mike!

Edit: Thanks Brethen for the Southquarter mirror, original post updated.

downloading now will be playing it all night long ,will post if i get stuck.

I already opened an Aventinus eisbock and dove into a vat of beer cheese. Cheers Rob and Mike!

I'm right there with ya!

I'd like to publicly thank you, Yandros, for inviting me to join the team. It was a great pleasure to work with both you and Rob. You are both men of sterling character, unlimited ability and stellar vision. I learned a helluva lot working with you and I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Cheers!

And to all you taffers, have fun!
    Last edited by Tannar; 11th Mar 2013 at 00:52.

And you've had how many so far?

Congratulations on the release everyone! The new water does indeed look awesome, and I also like the new Pagan characters.

I'm currently playing the mission on expert, and there are two things I'm missing:

1. The key to the shrine
    2. A gear

Any hints on where I might find these?

Quote Originally Posted by Erluk View Post
    Congratulations on the release everyone! The new water does indeed look awesome, and I also like the new Pagan characters.

I'm currently playing the mission on expert, and there are two things I'm missing:

1. The key to the shrine
    2. A gear

Any hints on where I might find these?
    I don't remember where the key is, but the gear is in the sewers in the Mechanist's office

Quote Originally Posted by Erluk View Post
    The key to the shrine
    Hint: The key to such an important place would be hidden away in the quarters of a person of some authority.

Spoiler: Look for a secret in the Captain's quarters.

Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast