TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A look at the resume of the current Thief team.

A look at the resume of the current Thief team.

Nicolas Cantin - Game director
    Pre-production Art Director on Assassin's Creed 1
    UI and Menu Art Director on Tom Clancy's Endwar

Steven Gallagher - Narrative director
    Additional Game Design and Animation Lead on Watchmen: The End is Nigh
    Animator on Ghost Rider
    Artistic Director and Animation on Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon

Eric Martel - Lead AI programmer
    AI/Gameplay Programmer on Assassin's Creed 1
    Single Player Programming on Far Cry Instincts

Yves Breton - Lead sound designer
    Audio Desinger on Assassin's Creed Revelations

Marc Benoit - Lead gameplay designer
    Game Designer on James Cameron's Avatar: The Game
    Lead Game Desinger on Shaun White Snowboarding
    Additional 3D Modelling on Grim Fandango
    3D Animation on The Dig

Emanuel Garcia - Lead Artist
    Lead Artist on Disney's Chicken Little: Ace in Action

Daniel Windfeld Schmidt - Lead level designer
    Additional Artist and Additional QA on Kane and Lynch: Dead Men
    Artist on Hitman Contracts

Well. That says things. At least we know not to expect anything from the level design.

Knows his stuff
    Those credentials are... not very impressive.

Not too assuring that the guy who has done mostly art direction earlier is the Game Director, and the guy who has done mostly animation is in charge of the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Those credentials are... not very impressive.

Not too assuring that the guy who has done mostly art direction earlier is the Game Director, and the guy who has done mostly animation is in charge of the narrative.
    Mostly console based Devs. Now I am worried

I like to think people are inspired to rise to the occasion when given the right project, and the project can make the team as much as the team makes the project.

jtr7
    A possibility exists, yes, and gets pulled off once in awhile, yes. Now that T4's rescue operation has gotten it out of the danger zone, maybe there's time to make it less unique to its brand's core values and more unique among the rest of gaming, making First Person Sneaker not sound so confusing and threatening.

Still Subjective
    Source?
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    Source?
    Mobygames developer profiles.

Knows his stuff
    SE, you can take a look at their profiles yourself if you wish, as there is more to their resumes than presented by the OP, though little that'll paint a better picture of them. Eg. Cantin was also artist/modeller on Syberia 1/2 and Open Kart.

Also of interest might be the resumes of the people behind DX:HR.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    I like to think people are inspired to rise to the occasion when given the right project, and the project can make the team as much as the team makes the project.
    I hope that's the case here, and that these guys have hidden talents just waiting for the right opportunity to present themselves.

jtr7
    In 2009-2011 we* also included LinkedIn profiles. There's a thread around with even more names, mostly of team members who have since left EM or Thief's team. We talked about Mario Aguera, and how his admiration for Mario Kart might affect how he we guide his team, and how with so many former Ubisoft members who'd worked on Assassin's Creed titles, they might bring too much of that to Thiaf.

*Several taffers here and elsewhere who Google things like "TH4" "thiaf" "THI4F" and "Thief 4" whereby old and new things would pop up, especially if EM posted a name or video somewhere to go along with it.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by thiefinthedark View Post
    Mobygames developer profiles.
    Well I don't know if that's really comprehensive.

Even so you've chosen to strategically miss out things.

Nicholas Cantin
    Assassin's Creed (Director's Cut Edition) (2008), Ubisoft Entertainment SA
    Tom Clancy's EndWar (2009), Ubisoft Entertainment SA
    Assassin's Creed (2007), Ubisoft, Inc.
    Syberia II (2004), XS Games, LLC
    Syberia: The Collector's Edition (2004), MC2-Microïds
    Syberia (2002), Microïds
    Open Kart (2001), Microïds

Emanuel Garcia
    Army of Two (2008), Electronic Arts, Inc.
    Disney's Chicken Little: Ace in Action (2006), Buena Vista Games, Inc.

Marc Benoit
    James Cameron's Avatar: The Game (2009), Ubisoft, Inc.
    Shaun White Snowboarding (2008), Ubisoft Entertainment SA
    Speed Devils (1999), Ubi Soft Entertainment Software
    Grim Fandango (1998), LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC
    Speed Busters: American Highways (1998), Ubi Soft Entertainment Software
    Star Wars: Masters of Teräs Käsi (1997), LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC
    The Dig (1995), Softgold Computerspiele GmbH

I'm not going to bother with the rest, but it's clear you've got some agenda here because you're missing out loads of stuff.

Knows his stuff
    "Strategically miss out things"? Do we really need to know that Emanuel Garcia was listed in the Special Thanks section of Army of Two? No. OP listed the relevant stuff and mentioned what role these people had in the making of their earlier games.

Man that's even more damning than the previous team and that team was already worrying. When the game and narrative directors are (literally) beginners at such key positions, it makes you wonder whether they're the only devs that remained after the last exodus. Now I understand a bit better the guys' attitudes in those gameinformer videos.
    There's a high possibility that all the game mechanics and resources have been ready for a long time, and they just kept a few people to try to piece everything together into a game.

If I wanted to be an optimist I'd say that it's an interesting state of affairs, giving some people who were always behind the scenes the power and responsibility to make "their" game could lead to something fresh. If I wanted to be a pessimist I'd say it screams 'budget release'.

Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    I'm not going to bother with the rest, but it's clear you've got some agenda here because you're missing out loads of stuff.
    My agenda was copying and pasting from another forum and then going to sleep. Thank you for the rest of it, though, as it honestly just makes them look even worse than they did in my OP.

BANNED
    Check out Emmanuel Garcia's work, titled “WRAPPED IN HORROR”....

Scroll down to eighth image.

http://tommybeautypro.wordpress.com/...face-off-2012/

Also of interest might be the resumes of the people behind DX:HR.
    When you contrast the Thief team's prior experience to the DX:HR team's prior experience, things look a little better. Most of the DX:HR team seemed to have worked on the XBox conversion of Far Cry 1 in some capacity, and a few had minor roles in Tom Clancy franchise games. But those are the only titles I could find that were even remotely related to a DX-type game. And the guys in lead roles seemed relatively inexperienced for their positions.

Still Subjective
    I don't think people realise how experience or the industry works.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Yeah. Not everyone can help make Thief or Deus Ex or Fallout 1 or whatever as their first project. Sometimes you have to do grunt work on crap budget titles just to pay the bills. Read some of the stories here -- most of them are about QA, but there's quite a few from other parts of the industry. It's like journalism -- and take it from someone who knows -- you're not going to be Spider Jerusalem busting open a corruption scandal your first day in the newsroom. You're going to be Lois Lane writing about voting districts.

Knows his stuff
    My personal concern isn't that they haven't worked on well received titles, it's that the people in charge have little experience in the roles they're filling on this project. Expecting them to hit it out of the park on their first try is more optimism than I can muster.

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    Most of the DX:HR team seemed to have worked on the XBox conversion of Far Cry 1 in some capacity
    I haven't played it myself but for what I've heard Instincts was more than a simple conversion. It introduced new gameplay elements, and from everyone I've heard who's played it, it was better than the original Far Cry. Most importantly the gameplay isn't terribly far from DXHR (first person action/stealth), and the EM people who worked on it had similar roles in the development of it and DXHR. The most promising thing about Cantin's resume is Assassin's Creed, but there he played a completely different role.
    Last edited by henke; 19th Mar 2013 at 07:43.

BANNED
    My personal concern isn't that they haven't worked on well received titles, it's that the people in charge have little experience in the roles they're filling on this project.
    According to interviews, a lot of the devs are Thief fans. That is a distinct advantage; to me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by thiefessa View Post
    According to interviews, a lot of the devs are Thief fans. That is a distinct advantage; to me anyway.
    Well, what would you say? "Nah, I don't really like Thief"?

Reminds me of Bethesda developing Fallout 3 - suddenly all of the developers were total hardcore Fallout fans who for some reason didn't want to create anything even remotely similar. At least Thief 4 is going to share the basic characteristics of the earlier games, even if there's a shift of focus to make it more mainstream.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    How is Fallout 3 not similar to Fallout 1/2, besides a perspective/gameplay change? Because in terms of setting, atmosphere, and everything else, it's dead on. Top-down isometric isn't "in" these days, not for AAA developers.

jtr7
    Quote Originally Posted by Disturbation View Post
    Well, what would you say? "Nah, I don't really like Thief"?

Reminds me of Bethesda developing Fallout 3 - suddenly all of the developers were total hardcore Fallout fans who for some reason didn't want to create anything even remotely similar. At least Thief 4 is going to share the basic characteristics of the earlier games, even if there's a shift of focus to make it more mainstream.
    Also, a lot of the devs who worked on Thief 3 had worked at least two of the previous titles, and they dropped the ball on many things that can't be blamed on the borked engine or XBox memory limits. At least they had admitted after TDP that while they were fans of what they'd been doing, they were burnt out and knew all its secrets and had played it too much. Like Lucas, they never had the chance to experience it from our point of view. Emil Pagliarulo was a huge fan of TDP, and gave us Life of the Party, after working up to it through the Gold expansion of TDP, but then he gave us...the Kurshok, hahaha!

Being fans isn't enough, and while I like to hear it, it doesn't mean they have goals with the things we like in mind, or permission to pursue ideas as fans by the employer or publisher. We see here everyday numerous examples of how people define their fandom vastly differently than others. This is why I hope 90% of what TDP/TMA accomplished, even as it lacked confidence, will be included in Thief's DNA. Things I don't like but my friends really do are included and have always been my hope for new titles, and things I'd love to see more of in unrelated new games. We all have our favorite things, and we don't all agree, and I hope Thief includes as many of them all as possible, so no one's left out who hasn't already moved on anyway.

As apprehensive as I am about nuThief after the Game Informer preview, citing previous projects of the dev team doesn't really mean anything. Remember that the game that the majority of the Arkane team made before becoming Arkane and making Arx Fatalis was The Smurfs.

jtr7
    The part that interests me is how long it takes a dev who's never played a Thief title to do their "homework" as they've called it, or hasn't played each of the OMs. How do they know when they are ready to proceed, and how do their teammates or supervisors know, as well? Who makes sure that any non-fan among them is still working well as a part of the team, and what do they look for when hiring someone who tells them they never liked the Thief series? They did bring too much Assassin's Creed to it at first after working on AC at Ubisoft, so it's not entirely irrelevant. I woulda thought they might intentionally not want to repeat themselves or rip off a popular title too blatantly, so what other baggage are they not holding themselves back on? None of it matters to most, so I don't even know why it's being commented on.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    How is Fallout 3 not similar to Fallout 1/2, besides a perspective/gameplay change? Because in terms of setting, atmosphere, and everything else, it's dead on. Top-down isometric isn't "in" these days, not for AAA developers.
    Actually, I found it amazing how faithfully they recreated most pieces from 2D Fallout, objects like computers, desks etc. You may question the way the story is told etc. but from a technical standpoint they did a brilliant job.

As for being the fan or not, you know the saying "no man is a prophet in his own land". It works for artists, writers, journalists etc., so it can work for game devs too. EM already declared they read comments and posts on forums, but they have their own ideas for the game. I hope they do that, since the image of Thief fandom is really distorted here.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featur...ef-legacy.aspx
    Last edited by Judith; 21st Mar 2013 at 06:27.