TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: AM16's Thief2 Fixed 1.2d - Bugfixed Original Missions - Updated 2018-06-01

Hey Taffers! Get it while it's hot! AM16's Thief2 Fixed 1.1e is RELEASED!

This version include massive reworking of the terrible Thief2 automaps. Every level has been painstakingly tested to verify the accuracy of the automaps. Some automap images had to be manually edited to reflect the geometry of the level. And let me tell you, there were LOTS of automap problems. In some cases automaps were so bad, they were almost useless, or worse, their bugs misdirected and confused the player. They are far from perfect, however they are MUCH better than before.

This release also include many German text fixes, with thanks to Gnartsch who painstakingly went over all the German texts and fixed errors and bugs. The German automaps also received the same fixes as the English version. Gnatsch also notified me of a rather critical bug when trying to play with Darkloader. Darkloader creates missflags.str automatically if it isn't found in the archive, but only plays the first mission. Including the original missflags.str has fixed this bug, and those playing with darkloader should have a bug free, enjoyable time.

Much of the work on this release went into Life of the Party, as well as Casing the Joint and Masks. Though considerable work was done on all levels.

The textures in Angelwatch were aligned absolutely terribly. The prospect of re-aligning all the textures in the tower seemed ludicrous, yet, for some strange reason, I found myself doing just that! I believe you'll find the textures in Angelwatch to be much more appealing than before. In this process, I had to redo considerable brush work. All the stairs in angelwatch were AIR brushes, carving the stairs out of a SOLID wedge brush. This meant, I'd have to aligned several hundred 4x1x1 air brush blocks... I opted to re-create the stairs out of SOLID brushes, which appear exactly as they did before. I also had to redo the brushwork on the outer walls of the Top floor of angelwatch. They were constructed in an unusual way. Rather than creating a single solid brush, and carving out a hold for a window, they walls were constructed by carving out a space for a wall, then filling it in with 4 SOLID brushes around every window. This meany I'd have to adjust all of the solid brushes around each window individually. The redone brushwork should appear exactly as the previous brushwork, it's just constructed much more efficiently. Oh, and yes, I fixed the solid brush in the elevator Bug I so carelessly introduced in the 1.1c version. My apologies again.

On Casing the Joint and Masks, I ended up fixing a lot of misaligned textures in the room between the Foyer and the Ballroom. I also fixed tons of texture alignment problems in the ballroom as well. I fixed a relatively major bug in the library: the Library Apparition would sometimes walk into solid walls, and get stuck there! Quite a weird thing to do, but it's fixed now. I also found another conversation in Masks that didn't play before, between a mechanist priest, and a Slave/Servant.

Another interesting thing I found, was that on Trace the Courier, for each difficulty level there was supposed to be a conversation at the drop point, which is at a different location for every difficulty level. The conversation on Expert didn't play, because the Difficulty property on the Normal Conversation wasn't set. With this fixed, the "Newboots" conversation now plays while waiting for the Pagan, instead of sitting around doing nothing and waiting in silence.

Anyhow, there's plenty of more things that were fixed, and other interesting tidbits that were fixed, but that's what's coming off the top of my head for now.

I don't believe there will be another release (at least anytime soon or later), unless someone finds a major bug I introduced, or there is some sort of public outcry about some minor change I made. I think this will be it.
    My gift to you, taffers, enjoy!
    Last edited by AntiMatter_16; 2nd Jun 2013 at 22:16.

Hmm, you're work on LOTP is very interesting to me because I'm actually using the base version of miss11 for a modified version of the OM. Would you be willing to help me out with it, or at least give me pointers as to what stuff you've done in it (like a word doc or something?) so that I could maybe go and fix it in my version? I've done too much work on my copy to start over with your version of the .mis file, so if anything I'd have to just add changes that you've made into mine.

The Life of the Party fixes are really too numerous to recount. There's at least a hundred hours worth of fixing done on LotP alone. I've been working on Thief2 fixed for about two years now. The major areas of fixing were object physics size corrections, texture alignments all over the entire map, and room brush type corrections, alignments, & sound propogations fixes. If I'd recorded the changes, it'd likely have taken about 10 times as long. For instance, the secret book lever in the necromancer's tower wasn't correctly rotated. Rotating it takes 10 seconds, but writing down the object number, and what the alignment it was changed to would take forever.

If you change the brush type filters so that only room brushes are visible, and open both versions in dromed, just alt-tabbing between them (these were taken from the original and fixed version of "Kidnapped") will demonstrate the INSANE amount of fixes to room brush alignment I've done. In that example, you'll notice they fit the brushes more tightly, so as to fix room brush propagation errors. The room brushes in the starting area actually crossed through solid rock to connect with the room brushes in the chasm in Kidnapped. In LotP, a lot of the "groundout" type room brushes (which detect when the player ended up on the streets, so as to fail the mission) weren't placed correctly, so you could end up stuck on the streets if were clever, and managed to survive the trip down to the streets.

Most of the fixes are detail changes, which means they're all primarily aesthetic and will be visible to you. So if you don't like how it looks, fix it yourself. =P There are very few changes to actual terrain brushwork. The changes I recounted in the last post are the largest changes to brushwork I've done. There are of course some minor brushwork changes that were done as dictated by texture alignment correction. Actually, the reason there was a solid brush in the elevator in 1.1c, was because I re-added some brushwork that LGS removed. In the Thief2 demo, it was possible to go all the way to the top of Angelwatch, and you could reach it via the south side, via some buildings which LGS removed for the final version. I re-added some of the detail brushwork like some of the railing on top, and the base decorations on the corners of the building, just for fun.

If there was something specific you wanted to ask about, though, I'll see what I can do.

I see, and that makes sense from a sanity/time point of view. (I mean, not documenting stuff.) However, for mine I like to keep track of certain things so I actually have a word document so I can see what's been done and what needs to be done. Let me tell you, I fully appreciate what you're doing because I can understand how much work it can be, especially on such large missions and by yourself to boot. (I'm assuming it was all your doing.)

I guess considering the monumental amount of work you've done to it, the only stuff I'd really want to ask you about is maybe room brushes, texture alignment issues (which, as I said in my last post I've already done with the fireplace textures) and perhaps the stuff you re-added from the LOTP demo. I'm actually quite curious about that, I didn't know about the differences between them, but then I never really played the demo all the way through, or at least thoroughly.

That I can do on my own though obviously, since getting and checking out the demo shouldn't be too hard at all. Really the most important thing is texture alignment stuff, but I'd only ask you about stuff that's obviously a mistake that I may have missed on my own copy. An example of what I'm thinking of is the bridge in Ambush! near the market where the guard and the prostitute are talking. That was an obvious mistake that I had noticed while looking at that mission in dromed.

I was the only one editing missions, but I had help in many ways.
    The stuff I re-added was literally just a couple brushes on the corners of the south side, and I fixed the railing on top of the mission. Most of the posts were missing.

It was VERY seldom that I changed a texture... 99.9% of the texture changes were alignment. But if the bridge stood out to you, too, then you get the idea of the kind of changes I did. If it stands out to you as wrong, or is misaligned, then fix it, and you'll end up with a similar product. =P

In Casing the Joint and Masks, I remember noticing that all the closets had brushes for trim, but mostly only the ones with secrets doors had the trim textured, so I spent a huge amount of time, adding the trim texture, and aligning the closet textures. It was also pretty clear in those missions, that one of the authors didn't know how to alter the time of a brush, so they made 5 air brushes for trim around the perimeter of a room (3 walls, and 1 on each side of a doorway), instead of making one fill air brush for the room, and another one for the trim, then setting the solid doorway brush to be created after the trim. When aligning floor textures I found it easier to just redo the brushwork than trying to align 6 surfaces.

Time for another playthrough of Thief 2! Thanks so much for your hard work AntiMatter_16!

Mirror

Minor problem but I noticed it when opening up your file so that I could compare it to my version:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	miss11tower.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	804.4 KB 
ID:	1712

I've got a comparison shot there so you can see what I did to fix it.

Looks like resetting the scale property to 1,1,1 and moving the object to 144.5, 351, 44 works best.

Well, that's even better than what I did.

Can you tell me who made the custom blackjack model that's included in this release? I had been trying to figure out where I found it from, and it turns out it's in your package. I was thinking of including that same blackjack into my FM, but before I do I need to know who made it specifically so I can credit them in my readme.

I believe Voodoo47 was responsible for that. IIRC, I modified them to use TGA textures though.

Zombified
    nope, somebody else made them. will send him a link to this topic.

I look forward to a response. My mission is practically done, but wanted to add the blackjack object.

Here is the zip with matching blackjacks and blackjack arms. The idea was to make the blackjack arm use the blackjack object so that it would be easy to make sure that they match each other by using the same texture in the TXT16 directories. But, unlike the swords and the sword arm, the original blackjack is larger than the blackjack held by the arm. Additionally, the blackjack held by the arm is at an angle that would have the blackjack handle go right through Garrett's palm.

So I had to resize the blackjack and while I was there I redid the surface normals so that the texture was mapped correctly as a cylinder. Some of the original normals were a little wacky resulting in incorrect texturing. The angle of the blackjack in the hand was adjusted so that the blackjack is held in the hand, not piercing it. These use the original blackjack texture.

Then I took the blackjack image off of the arm model, resized it and reworked it to make a higher definition "EP" texture. And I used that with the new models.

Lastly, I remodeled a slightly higher poly blackjack (from 33 to 64 polys). This new model is shaped more like a real world blackjack. so there is this third variation of the blackjack & arm.

Use any of them that you want. If you want to play around with retexturing the blackjack, you now can do so for both the arm and the blackjack with just one texture.

Mirrors welcome.
    Last edited by LarryG; 7th Aug 2013 at 15:15.

Zombified
    do note that the texture for the blackjack4 is flipped vertically.

Great, thank you Larry!

Update:

I noticed what voodoo47 mentioned, but I also had an issue with the blackjack 4 (the hipoly one) where a part of it was see-through. That may have been because I grabbed AM16's .tga version of the texture for the blackjack and resaved it as a gif. In any case, what I ended up doing was just copying his version of the .bin/.tga files and it works fine. Seeing as how this is for a NewDark mission anyway, using a .tga is of no problem.
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 7th Aug 2013 at 22:17.

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    That may have been because I grabbed AM16's .tga version of the texture for the blackjack and resaved it as a gif.
    Unless you did so carefully, ensuring that colour index 0 did not appear anywhere on the resulting gif, that's guaranteed to be the problem. Most programs that take a truecolour image and convert it to an indexed one will, unless you explicitly tell them otherwise, use all 256 colour slots in the result image including colour 0 - which is fine, provided that you don't then use the resulting image in something that treats colour 0 as transparent like Thief does.

Is the new bug with zombies standing up on level load caused by newdark?

Zombified
    I don't think so - zombies were always funky.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    I don't think so - zombies were always funky.
    Especially the ones in "Framed" lol

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousCallersOnly View Post
    Is the new bug with zombies standing up on level load caused by newdark?
    In newdark AND olddark thief2, if a creature pose is set on an AI, it is restored on load. That's why the guard by the dumbwaiter in Running Interference would stand upright after you blackjacked him if you save and reload. That's been fixed, but the zombies creature pose is part of a metaproperty, and can't be fixed.

Hi AntiMatter_16,

voodoo47 has informed ​me about this great project here. Nobody knows it better than you how much work it is to do that. You have my respect

At the moment i'm working on a T2 HD Mod. Is it possible to include your updated missions to the Mod project? Of course i would write your name to the credits too.

In the readme included by AntiMatter_16 you can read this at the end of the file:

Legal stuff:
    Fixed versions of LGS's unstripped missions not supported by anyone. Not responsible for anything. Use at your own risk. You may edit and redistribute any content herein without permission for any (legal) purposes without credit (though it would be nice). Then...

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post

At the moment i'm working on a T2 HD Mod.

Gecko, you just made my day.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast