TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Divinity: Original Sin...Old School RPG Kickstarter

Divinity: Original Sin...Old School RPG Kickstarter

Been a long time since I've posted here, but I think of TTLG as a place mostly inhabited by old school gamers and though that there might be some folks interested in the Kickstarter campaign currently going on for Divinity: Original Sin.

It is part of the Divinity franchise by Larian Studios and is a bit of a throwback from a design standpoint....It is a party-based, isometric RPG with turn-based combat. It has an emphasis on exploration, environmental interaction and a unique conversation system that is informed by the fact that there are 2 main characters. The game can be played single player (by either directly controlling both main chars or assigning one of them a "personality" that you interact with during conversations...kooky) or co-op with a friend (drop in/drop out) and seems to work equally well either way. Finally, it also includes the editor that the developer used to create the game.

Anyway, I have enjoyed the previous games in the Divinity series and this looks really cool so I thought I throw it out there in case there are some more interested folks.

Here is the link...enjoy!!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...y-original-sin

Moderator and Priest
    Hey, cool. I liked Divinity way back when. I'll keep this one bookmarked, and might just consider throwing in my change for the cause.

Ugh, I got the original Divinity off of GoG and could barely stand the first two hours. Felt clunky and somewhat brutally difficult, with all my crap breaking and all my potions running out, and combat boiling down to tedius whack whack whack. Kind of like a crappy Diablo clone, but donno maybe it gets better later once you stop being a total wimp..?

Moderator and Priest
    Should've played a mage. They're more fun and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Ugh, I got the original Divinity off of GoG and could barely stand the first two hours. Felt clunky and somewhat brutally difficult, with all my crap breaking and all my potions running out, and combat boiling down to tedius whack whack whack. Kind of like a crappy Diablo clone, but donno maybe it gets better later once you stop being a total wimp..?
    You were doing it wrong!

I played a thief with no issues at all. I kind of went into mage territory for the AOE spells. I would give it another chance.

Calling it a Diablo clone is sort of inaccurate.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    and a unique conversation system that is informed by the fact that there are 2 main characters. The game can be played single player (by either directly controlling both main chars or assigning one of them a "personality" that you interact with during conversations...kooky) or co-op with a friend (drop in/drop out) and seems to work equally well either way.
    I'd hardly say that it's unique, since it seems to be "heavily inspired" by the party conversation system from Bioware's SWTOR.

While Divine divinity was (for me) exactly as yakoob described, Divinity 2 was all kinds of fun, broken mechanics and all. And the world is...relatively interesting.
    I reckon turn-based stuffs would circumvent much of my issues with D1, since it usually gives you much more feedback (or at least, time to work out what feedback it's giving you), plus there's this:
    For instance, lowering the intelligence of an enemy with a curse spell, will cause it to walk into pools of lava (uttering words like "look, how shiny").
    SOLD!

Gotta admit my first run-in with this franchise was Divinity2, which I found pretty engaging... never tried the first one.

That said if Original Sin is just half as good as they promise, it'll still be nice. There's a lack of turn-based RPGs lately. that and the $65 package also contains Dragon Commander, which is also having some pretty interesting promises. Will see I guess, though I feel money spent on these is money better spent than on Call of Battlefield 5: Another Generic Shooter...

And on cue, the Divinity Anthology is today's daily deal on Steam.

DD1 is like a ultima game in disguise as a diablo clone. It's got pretty interresting quests in a sea of trash mobs.

Of course, my definition of 'interresting' is 'not telegraphed at all', so you might not even find them if you're not suspicious.

The thing that most annoyed me about it was the diablo mechanics in-fact (random items with random levelscaled stats). Very annoying how random mid game armour obsoleted legendary handplaced items.
    The second thing was how the very last 2 areas are combat fillers (last area is a maze on top).

Also, superb music (you can download the soundtrack on the composer homepage)
    Last edited by SeriousCallersOnly; 8th Apr 2013 at 19:52.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand now the goal is reached.

I seriously hope they put this money to good use (I mean they don't release a rushed, buggy mess and then spend two years patching it to playable state).

Edit: Talking about the music, their composer - Kirill Pokrovsky - is nothing less than awesome. The Dragon Terror Patrol or the Ramble of the Slavs are still stuck in my head.
    Last edited by Assidragon; 9th Apr 2013 at 11:23.

Mildly uninteresting thread necro yay!

The kickstarter is over in roughly a day now, and they have reached the 800k goal. I wonder if they get the last one - it sounds pretty nice, though the companion one is more interesting than potentially waiting two hours for the damn shopkeepers to wake up.

Chakat sex pillow
    Day/night cycles and NPC schedules are important in terms of adding a layer of realistic detail to the world. It's something nice to have even if it's inconvenient - if that, find a bed and sleep until morning instead of waiting! - because the gains in immersivity and world-building offset the potential disadvantages.

I hope they hit the 1 million mark, because it sounds like they're doing something very oldschool Ultima-y, and it's been too long since we've had something like that.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by Assidragon View Post
    I wonder if they get the last one - it sounds pretty nice, though the companion one is more interesting than potentially waiting two hours for the damn shopkeepers to wake up.
    Meh. It wasn't such a big deal in Bethsoft RPGs that I've played. Just use the sleep function until it hits 8am.

I'm really happy that they've hit the $800k stretch goal. That added depth that changes generic hirelings into fully fleshed out companions would be like upgrading from a retardedly written, 2-dimensional Bethesda RPG to an Obsidian RPG.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...n/posts/460101

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    That added depth that changes generic hirelings into fully fleshed out companions would be like upgrading from a retardedly written, 2-dimensional Bethesda RPG to an Obsidian RPG.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...n/posts/460101
    This is assuming that they can write better than Bethesda -- which isn't that hard, but Obsidian? I'm afraid if the previous Divinities are anything to go by, that's gonna be a bit of a stretch for them.

It really depends which Obsidian game we are talking about. I admittedly didn't play all their games, but from my experience:
    NWN2 was interesting, but overall the game was way too long for it's own good and didn't really make me replay it. Even if the setting was interesting, most characters you meet are also relatively meh, and you are stuck with quite a few whom I personally wanted to punch in the face more than a few times.
    NWN2:MotB was however a blast. Great idea, great execution.
    FONV was... mostly good, but also somewhat cringe-inducing at parts (like how the NCR was so completely incompetent it got comical). The core game was all over the place, even though it was still more polished than FO3. To me the DLCs are the saving grace, especially the characters of Graham and Ulysses.

Now, I don't expect Larian to pull a MotB on us, but I think if they stick the Flames of Vengeance style (smaller but very polished areas etc) they could hit the NWN2 level. Then again, they are talking about free-style and exploration - hints at sandbox-ism, and that usually makes for less coherent/engaging stories...

Chakat sex pillow
    Not really. Obsidian games tend to do subversion and inversion pretty well - to varying degrees, of course, and YMMV on the execution. I agree NWN2 was not a terribly inspired game. FO2, Planescape: Torment (Black Isle, but it's the same people really), KoTOR2, Alpha Protocol, and FO:NV, however, are examples of what they're capable of when they've got interesting things to say and do.

And while any game as large as a Fallout is hard to nail in terms of quality consistently, given the sheer amount of dialogue and scripting there is, for all of NV's faults, it isn't as cringe-inducing and generic as a lot of FO3's long-winded blah-blah bits, and actually manages to keep quite a few narrative plates spinning in the air while you're playing it.

Larian doesn't really compare.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Christ Sulph, it was just an analogy.

They were $5000 short of the $1mil stretch goal, but they're nice guys so NPC schedules are gonna be implemented anyway.

Confirmation from the Twitch.tv stream chat:-
    pakoito: @timerider we made it, fell short 5k but we're doing it
    faulchu: Timeraider, we were 4k off, but they're implementing the 1mill goal anyways

TB had a little demo the other day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuF8ruhjlTY

I dunno much about most of it, but skill based conversations is awesome. Very interested to see if they can pull that off.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Release date is February 28th 2014, a delay from Q3 2013. Reason being is that implementing/building the achieved stretch goals for new features/content forced the perfectionists in Larian to increase the scope and density of many aspects of the games. Thus they're throwing in all of the resources and time to do the job properly, i.e having their entire 40 person studio work on it and an additional 5 months.

In our official communication, we’re explaining the delay as the result of wanting to properly integrate our stretch goals. Thanks to Kickstarter these are becoming very integral to the game, so much in fact that parts of the game were completely re-engineered to make room for them.

That last statement can be read in two ways, and both happen to be right: A) Some stretch goals were incompatible with design decisions we had already taken e.g. our character development system wasn’t robust enough to accommodate for companions, and so we had to change things more than we expected. B) Some things in the pre-Kickstarter version sucked, and we took opportunity to fix them as we were re-engineering the game world anyway.
    Swen explains in his blog that he's making a gamble by putting the entire studio on this, but he's doing so because believes in the game that much.

A win for all of us gamers! I hope that the game is successful for them.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

ALL backers will be getting alpha and beta access.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...n/posts/678463

Moderator and Priest

I own the original Divine Divinty and have attempted to play through it a half dozen times - never successfully. I agree the difficulty is brutal if you don't play a Mage. Either that or there was a bug where you could stealth as a survivor indefinitely without stamina ever hitting zero - which ended up killing one of my games (I had no saves to reverse it and it felt like cheating). The GOG edition fixes a lot of bugs and rebalances the game but the patch isn't offered to those who bought the disk edition when the game was first released!

I've been meaning to give it another try, but the story is one trope after another and the humor was a little out of place. That said it may be the most gorgeous 2d game I have ever seen. I wish more games employed a 2d art style as that one did. It's a pity that all games that came after included 3d graphics that haven't aged well.

If I recall correctly the last time I attempted to run it, the sound was incompatible with my sound card - fixed in the GOG edition - but alas never to be fixed in disk version.
    Last edited by Ombrenuit; 27th Dec 2013 at 15:44.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Original Sin Enhanced Edition is out Oct 27th! Free for all existing owners of the vanilla PC release!

It's also coming to both relevant 8th gen consoles, if anyone cares.

Well, now I know where my November is going...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast