TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: Do you want Stephen Russell to be the voice of Garrett?

Voters
276. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes...Stephen Russell to voice Garrett.

243 88.04%
  • It doesn't matter.

28 10.14%
  • No...I want someone else voicing Garrett.

5 1.81%
Page 13 of 57 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823283338434853 ... LastLast

Thread: *** Stephen Russell - Petition & Poll ***

Quote Originally Posted by Dia View Post
    I think we all understand this Skaadi. No one is accusing you of having any 'agendas', okay? Yours was a touching gesture that we can all appreciate and there's no longer any reason for argument regarding EM's participation with this. All is well.
    Not really what I meant, I was actually referring to Vae's agenda (ie, I get the feeling she wants the thank you card to be another thing campaigning for SR's return, and I'm just not going to be doing it that way. If I'm wrong however feel free to correct me.)

I'm not trying to criticise Vae of course, because I completely understand where she's coming from, but I wasn't referring to the whole EM argument at all.

Apologies. My mistake.

No probs,

With that all cleared up, I'll be home in a few hours, so everyone start getting your messages ready

I'm not trying to criticise Vae of course, because I completely understand where she's coming from, but I wasn't referring to the whole EM argument at all.
    I'm all man, looking for good taffer women to enjoy.

I'm your huckleberry.

LOL wow, my apologies. That'll teach me to make assumptions.

So now that we've seen what Queue looks like, how about one of yours?...We can have a picture party.
    Last edited by Vae; 11th Apr 2013 at 11:25.

I voted yes, but honestly could care less about this game. Only if by divine miracle EM is turned into a massive crator, and Square Enix has to react quickly to continue the project so they cobble together what's left of the original Looking Glass team...

Oh dear god, fantasy.

(Although nothing against EM themselves. I just don't care for anything besides the first two games)

Quote Originally Posted by Skaadi View Post
    Ok, so after thinking about it for a bit, I've decided to move the whole thank you card thread over here, if that's alright.
    That is good to hear, it is a great initiative and I think more people will sign it now that it is coming from the fan community rather than from the people that decided he shouldn't be part of their re-imagined version of thief. I didn't mean to imply your intentions was anything but honourable, I just feel the same way as Dia and the others about EM's involvement.

Psssshaw! No One's Manipulating Or Doing Any Such Nefarious Thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Inanity's Wonderful New Cohort
    Really enjoying reading your messages guys, keep 'em coming - this will bring a huge smile to Mr Russell's face

2013-04-11
    See?

That's from this morning -- after Skaadi rightfully and correctly decided that the "thank you, SR" repository should be moved out from under the malapropos and inconsistent control of Eidos Forums.

That heartfelt message from Inanity's newest pal, is a shining example... of... something... something pure.

Oops!, but something also went wrong; as Skaadi's post about moving the "thank you"s had been lost in the shuffle; crazy, eh? bummer, eh?

But lo and behold extra-special goodness sakes! The thread at Eidos has too, all of a sudden, now been stickied atop all others over there!

:/
    Last edited by Skaadi; 11th Apr 2013 at 13:39.

Well Taffers, I just checked my e-mail and sure enough, Mr. Russell had responded to my (our) posts on the W.H.A.T. FB page. Here goes:

Dear Dia,

Thanks so much for getting in touch and for letting me know about all the posts at TTLG and the petition. I've been aware of some of this but, nevertheless, I am truly overwhelmed and astonished by the appreciation so many people have shown. I have been meaning to write something on the forum to thank all those who have taken the time to post and I hope to get to that later today. The fact that people all over the world have responded so positively to the work I was fortunate enough to be able to do means the world to me. Creating Garrett's voice (and Benny and Karras) and working closely with the incredibly talented and encouraging audio team at Looking Glass, particularly those geniuses Eric Brosius and Kemal Amarasingham, was one of the highlights of my life and I'm extremely grateful to them for the opportunity. I'm also more grateful than I can ever express that so many fans responded so enthusiastically over the years and continue to do so even now. I hope you do get a chance to visit WHAT this Summer and that you get to see one of the productions. I think you'll like what you see.

If I could ask a favor of a stranger, I would really appreciate it if you would not share this email address. Maybe it's the lingering Garrett in me, but I've always preferred to keep a low profile.

Thanks a million, Dia, and all best wishes to you.

Stephen Russell

My day is complete. Just wish I could sign that petition again. And again.

*dying whale noises*

Keeper of FMs

Wonderful, Dia! I'm so happy he knows how much we love & appreciate his Thief works.

What a lovely man. I sincerely hope Eidos reconsiders their very poor decision.

Truly, what a wonderful reply from Mr. Russell.

... and, yes, it is a poor decision.

But the more I've thought about the whole reboot thing and Thief's new tagline, it's too bad Biggie is dead. He'd quite possibly have been a perfect match for a new Thief with a new attitude.

*From the shadows, a golden and bejeweled blackjack swings. A hand stabs forward, ripping the purse, and maybe a bit of sinew (just for effect, of course) from the prone body, while a triumphant, "Yo! That shit you got is now mine, be-otch!" echos across the city. Hide your wealth and your wenches, Garrote is in the hizzy.*

Rest in peace, Biggie...rest in peace.

It occurred to me, it hasn't been a good couple of years for Stephen Russell - he got passed up after auditioning for both his signature role of Garrett and also for Booker DeWitt in the latest Bioshock. I'm guessing those paychecks are fairly significant to someone normally working in theater.

Eh you never know, somehow I doubt voice acting is his only job. If I had to guess I'd say the theatre is a volunteer sideline.

...picking pockets to keep his ribs from meeting his spine, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by taffersshadow View Post
    ...picking pockets to keep his ribs from meeting his spine, perhaps?
    Let's all go with this one. Its the most probable :P

I got the impression he's fairly involved in theater, I don't think it's just a weekend thing. According to IMDB, Thief was his first voice acting gig - anyone know how he hooked up with LGS in the first place? Given locations, it was obviously partially geographically related, but I wonder how they actually connected.

Quote Originally Posted by Dia View Post
    Well Taffers, I just checked my e-mail and sure enough, Mr. Russell had responded to my (our) posts on the W.H.A.T. FB page. Here goes:

Dear Dia,

Thanks so much for getting in touch and for letting me know about all the posts at TTLG and the petition. I've been aware of some of this but, nevertheless, I am truly overwhelmed and astonished by the appreciation so many people have shown. I have been meaning to write something on the forum to thank all those who have taken the time to post and I hope to get to that later today. The fact that people all over the world have responded so positively to the work I was fortunate enough to be able to do means the world to me. Creating Garrett's voice (and Benny and Karras) and working closely with the incredibly talented and encouraging audio team at Looking Glass, particularly those geniuses Eric Brosius and Kemal Amarasingham, was one of the highlights of my life and I'm extremely grateful to them for the opportunity. I'm also more grateful than I can ever express that so many fans responded so enthusiastically over the years and continue to do so even now. I hope you do get a chance to visit WHAT this Summer and that you get to see one of the productions. I think you'll like what you see.

If I could ask a favor of a stranger, I would really appreciate it if you would not share this email address. Maybe it's the lingering Garrett in me, but I've always preferred to keep a low profile.

Thanks a million, Dia, and all best wishes to you.

Stephen Russell

My day is complete. Just wish I could sign that petition again. And again.

Super-cool. Thanks for taking the time and effort to make that approach, Dia.

He is going to be sorely missed(maybe by some miracle he'll be back, but I just hesitate to even get my hopes up.) You know, everybody talks about Garrett, and Benny, and Raoul, but I think he's never gotten as much credit as he deserves for the Hammerite he voiced. That voice is one of my favorites in all of gaming, and it must have been tremendously fun to record that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuth View Post
    Super-cool. Thanks for taking the time and effort to make that approach, Dia.

He is going to be sorely missed(maybe by some miracle he'll be back, but I just hesitate to even get my hopes up.) You know, everybody talks about Garrett, and Benny, and Raoul, but I think he's never gotten as much credit as he deserves for the Hammerite he voiced. That voice is one of my favorites in all of gaming, and it must have been tremendously fun to record that stuff.
    My 'old' Hammerite in T2X was definitely inspired by Stephen.

Just out of curiosity, which Hammerite was it?

Thanks a million from SR

To all of you who have taken the time to post here and elsewhere over the last few days, I wanted to finally come out from the shadows and express to you how truly overwhelmed and astonished I am by the appreciation so many people have shown. The fact that people all over the world have responded so positively to the work I was fortunate enough to be able to do means the world to me. Creating Garrett's voice (and Benny and Karras) and working closely with the incredibly talented and encouraging audio team at Looking Glass, particularly those geniuses Eric Brosius and Kemal Amarasingham, was one of the highlights of my life and I'm extremely grateful to them for the opportunity. I'm also more grateful than I can ever express that so many fans responded so enthusiastically over the years and continue to do so even now. Anyone who's been involved in the performing arts for any length of time knows full well the vagaries of the business, that there will be good times and there will be not so good times and one always hopes that the former will outweigh the latter. I consider myself very fortunate that I'm still working and enjoying what I'm doing even if the winds have change have once again brought new directions.
    With sincere thanks and all best wishes.
    Stephen

Page 13 of 57 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823283338434853 ... LastLast