TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: TG FM - NewDark 64 Cubed Contest: The Unseen by skacky

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post

found aspider and some crypts i guess that what the lever did,still stuck
    You should take a closer look at the main chamber, with the sarcophagus on the ground.

This was a tough mission, but I enjoyed it a lot! I did have to "cheat" and turn up the gamma a few times. I like missions that put my ears to the test the way this one does. Nicely done, anonymous!

Hi.

Having problems playing this FM on a fresh install of TG.

I installed TG (CD version) and applied TFix_1.15.exe. I can play the OMs no problem, but when I try to load the FM, I get the menu, choose the difficulty level, then click to go into the game, it crashes to black and then that error message pops up telling me Thief has experienced a problem.

Is there a correction for this problem? I made sure that I have the latest Direct X installed and MV C++ and patched to a clean install in an unprotected folder.

Installed this on my old XP system.

Thanks for any help.

Island of Sorrow 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by redleaf View Post
    Hi.

Having problems playing this FM on a fresh install of TG.

I installed TG (CD version) and applied TFix_1.15.exe. I can play the OMs no problem, but when I try to load the FM, I get the menu, choose the difficulty level, then click to go into the game, it crashes to black and then that error message pops up telling me Thief has experienced a problem.

Is there a correction for this problem? I made sure that I have the latest Direct X installed and MV C++ and patched to a clean install in an unprotected folder.

Installed this on my old XP system.

Thanks for any help.
    Have you patched your Thief Gold install with the New Dark Patch?

Yes. I patched it with New Dark - I think - at least I thought that is what the TFix_1.15.exe is supposed to do for Thief Gold. And the fm icon property does designate that it is 1.19.

I just read something about an FMsel (FM selector?) that comes packaged with the NewDark. I will try that configuration and see if it works.

The FM selector works very well! But there was a problem with the fm zip files - looking into their props, I could see that they were all "blocked". I fixed that, but still had problems with "The Unseen" fm because it wasn't being recognized as a zip file.

Then I could see that it was a mite smaller than it should have been. Tried downloading a new file, and it got stuck every time at about 5.7 Mb. So I acquired a Download Manager from Gizmo's Freeware, and after many cancellations and reconnections, finally got the whole file.

I just started up the FM selector for the New Dark, and FINALLY, I'm in the game!

Been at it since about 10 a.m., and it's 2:50 p.m. now.

It looks good, liking the darkness -

I'm in a place where there's a coal car, some doused campfire wood and a zombie-looking corpse.

I can mantle up onto a ledge beside the coal car. Then it looks like I should be able to mantle up onto a higher, rounded ledge beside that which looks like it leads to an upper level. There is a light source somewhere within.

But I cant quite seem to make it up there. Should I be able to do this, or should I quit trying and find another way up? I already rope-arrowed my way up to another high ledge with some goodies, but this looks like it might lead to a different area.

playing on footpad

As far as I know you do not need to go up there. Nothing important there, only some loot and maybe some equipment.. I myself gave up climbing up there.

Notesthes quote: I myself gave up climbing up there.

I did manage to get an extra water arrow while madly frobbing about as I jumped. The teaser is, Lots of times I hear that sharp intake of breath that tells me I'm mantling, but I only fall back even when I try to give it that extra push just after the breath. I ran around and collected all the movable detritus I could find and piled it onto the lower ledge, but I still can't get up there. Wonder if anyone managed it?
    Last edited by redleaf; 25th Apr 2013 at 08:20. Reason: forgot spoilers

Wonder if anyone managed it?
    Yes, that's why I know, what's up there.

You have to move and jump in a quite precise way if you want to mantle up there, but there's nothing critical in this area. You don't want to mantle on the first edge in front of you but on the second that's 'behind'.

Quote Originally Posted by Notesthes View Post
    Yes, that's why I know, what's up there.
    Heyyyy, you said you gave up!

Quote Originally Posted by skacky View Post
    You have to move and jump in a quite precise way if you want to mantle up there, but there's nothing critical in this area. You don't want to mantle on the first edge in front of you but on the second that's 'behind'.
    I think that's what I've been doing - If I understand you correctly, it's not the rounded lip that I want to mantle, it's that very small flat bit at the back. Unless there's another climbable edge that I haven't been able to find in that area.

Anyway, it feels like it's time to go on to the next impossible task - my right wrist is totally cramped out for now. And I'm all out of Maker's Mark (medicinal purposes only)

Heyyyy, you said you gave up!
    And that is still true. Yes, I did give up. I asked someone who was up there.

Can't get this working on TDP in Win7 64-bit. I applied TFix 1.15 to a clean install of TDP in C:\Games\Thief and downloaded the FM - the game opened (using FMSel), but:
    1. The lizard-thing outside the cell highlights as well as the key when he's close enough.
    2. If I manage to just frob the key, it doesn't do anything when I try to unlock the cell door.
    3. If I accidentally frob the lizard-thing, I suddenly have a corpse on my hands and the game crashes.
    Tried adding tgpatch-basic and directx9; no difference. Tried installing VC++2008 and it wouldn't let me (said I had a newer version already installed).

Any instructions/suggestions/pointing out of noob mistakes welcome.

I had to restart and try this one on Footpad. Now I made it all the way past that horrible thingy (which totally creeps me out and makes me jump a mile when it discovers me crouching in total darkness in some corner) to a door that I can't lockpick. Please don't tell me I have to go all the way back for a key? From reading some of the posts in this thread, it looks like it.

Sadly, it might be time to give up on this one - speed has never been my thing. Explorative, puzzle-solving fms are much more in keeping with my abilities. This one isn't fun any more - just frustrating.

Texture issue

This, as well as the other TG mission in the contest, gives me plain white textures in a number of places. One such instance is near the very beginning of the mission, where a mummified corpse is hanging from the ceiling: the ceiling is white and there's also a white "sheet" in front of it which I suspect is supposed to look like a spiderweb.

I've loaded a different TG FM, Between these Dark Walls, and it does not seem to have this problem. Help? Otherwise I'll just have to skip these two.

All the AI are white wedges. Probably because I'm running it through the T2 engine? I thought that was consolidated under New Dark.

Last edited by Ricebug; 7th May 2013 at 21:02.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    No, you still need to run it in your TG install folder.

I tried that but it won't run as a T1/Gold mission. The readme says it's GarrettLoader ready, so I tried it through there. GL tells me,

You appear to have a mission currently installed via DarkLoader. Please use DarkLoader to restore the Original Missions then install this mission via GarrettLoader.

I did that and the same message pops up. So I physically removed the FM and re-ran DL to reset it to the OMs. Nope. I still get the message.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I'd try following the advise in the FM FAQ about cleaning up files, deleting certain directories and all that.

Desperately dodgy geezer

Southquarter.com/fms
    Unless I'm missing something, that link is for running the mission through Darkloader. He's trying to run it through Garrettloader, but GL won't let it happen because it's detecting a mission already loaded in Darkloader. Cleaning up the files should fix that.

HINT SHEET

If anyone feels it needs a loot list, lemme know and I'll add it.
    Last edited by Ricebug; 4th Jan 2014 at 20:15.

I see white textures near the exit from prison, in tunnels and where the Unseen is. I play it on Thief Gold and NewDarkLoader 1.5.4. I tried to reinstall it by deleting files of FM in FM directory in game folder and further install by NDL. But it doesn't help.
    Last edited by michael a; 8th Nov 2017 at 10:32. Reason: problem solved