TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Citizen (and Squadron 42) - Chris Roberts' space flight sim SP game and MMO

*notices new 28 million stretch goal announced to build a Scrooge McDuck money bin and to have a huge party*

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Persistent Universe, first gameplay video (pre-alpha)!

Since the last time this thread was bumped the space combat has been playable publicly in the form of the Arena Commander dogfight module (which is treated as an in-universe pilot training simulator).

Level 10,000 achieved
    That looks fantastic.

Doesn't look "persistent" the same way No Man's Sky is tho. Those cutscenes seem to mask the loading in of the planet geometry. Just look at how much the view changes from before to after the cutscenes.

I'm not sure what that has to do with persistence? (I guess it's not clear to me why you quoted the word.)

Level 10,000 achieved
    I had to look up the definition of persistence to make sure I wasn't using it wrong.

1. the fact of continuing in an opinion or course of action in spite of difficulty or opposition.

2. the continued or prolonged existence of something.
    So yeah. #2 is what I mean. As I see it, when it comes to videogame worlds persistence basically means "no loading screens". When you move from point A to B you do so in real time without any cuts.

No, persistent world means that the game continues to operate even after you have left the game (or an area). What you're describing sounds more like seamless loading.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh, well that's a whole lot less exciting. Isn't that something that's been in MMOs since forever?

verbose douchebag

Minor necromancy

FPS segments

This game makes me think of Synecdoche: New York.

Chakat sex pillow
    In having all-encompassing yet personal self-reflexive nested universes?

verbose douchebag
    More that it feels like the makers may not live to see their vision of a pitch perfect game get finished.

Thing What Kicks
    Welp, things are about to get a whole lot more interesting:
    "Fans would come into the studio, and I wanted to be like 'Dude, run. Take your money and run.' I felt like I was part of a con"

PS: Sorry for the necro, but I think this is going to get very big, very quickly.
    And I must admit, there's a part of me crowing with glee at the thought of a company which charges $900 for a virtual spaceship getting a swift kick to the nadgers.

verbose douchebag
    I know someone who was recently recruited to work in their sound design team, so that can at least partly verify that they're actually hiring.
    Hope it's not too toxic, as he had tough times when Crytek UK went belly up.

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    Chris Roberts has published a response: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...o-The-Escapist

Thing What Kicks
    Yeah, snippets of his response are included in the above linked Escapist article. They weren't initially, but by the time I got around to reading it they had been. And to be honest, Roberts comes across as less than professional.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I haven't read too much about all of this but I'm going to go with my gut instinct of "whichever side Derek Smart isn't on is the right side to be on".

There's a Reddit post claiming that the 'anonymous sources' are posts on Glassdoor posted with extremely suspicious timing. Obviously the Star Citizen subreddit is not the most unbiased source so take it with a grain of salt.

Leaving this latest drama aside, I'm really on the fence about SC, having backed it during the initial Kickstarter campaign. On the one hand, it's got a ton of funding and a lot of solid industry veterans. On the other hand, there's not a lot to show for the past couple years of work besides promises, feature creep, and selling virtual spaceships. I'm holding out hope for it being the unprecedented experience they're promising, but I'm getting increasingly skeptical the more promotional material and cash grabs they offer rather than actual gameplay content.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I haven't read too much about all of this but I'm going to go with my gut instinct of "whichever side Derek Smart isn't on is the right side to be on".
    "Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

Whether it is or isn't the case here, Derek Smart does have a chance of being on the side of "truth"

Is it true that if you say Derek Smart's name three hundred times he will open a portal right next to you, snatch you, and whisk you away to a dimension where you will be forced to beta test his next game until it is in a playable state (i.e. purgatory)?

I'm sorry but I wouldn't side with Derek Smart even if you came over to my house & held me at gun point. If you did, I'd tell you to go ahead & shoot me as I have some principals that I won't bend on. The guy is a notorious troll & lives just to stir sh*t up... period.

Look... I know that during my time on these boards I have stirred the pot quite a few times & ruffled quite a few feathers. Some justified... others... not so much. But even I'm not stupid enough to follow Derek Smart off that proverbial cliff like some stupid Lemming.

As for that old proverb: "Even a stopped clock is right twice a day." I'm sorry but this is just as stupid as saying "You can't have your cake & eat it too." If that proverbial clock be broken, throw that crap in the trash. It's like taking your rent money for the entire year & gambling it all on a single hand of blackjack. That's not just stupid... it's extremely retarded & asinine.

I'm siding with henke on this... "whichever side Derek Smart isn't on is the right side to be on".

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    And to be honest, Roberts comes across as less than professional.
    Seriously?! If someone took pot shots at not only you, but also your wife & family... wouldn't you be a little pissed off? I'm surprised it took Roberts so long to respond to Derek Smart & the idiotic cronies that are following his word as gospel.
    Last edited by Nedan; 3rd Oct 2015 at 05:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Nedan View Post
    As for that old proverb: "Even a stopped clock is right twice a day." I'm sorry but this is just as stupid as saying "You can't have your cake & eat it too." If that proverbial cloak be broken, throw that crap in the trash.
    Throwing the broken clock in the trash won't change the time. Nor will it contradict the nine other clocks giving the same time.

Credibility just doesn't work like that. If someone isn't credible, then their information deserves to be thrown out. It doesn't establish that the inverse of their statements is true, nor that unassociated individuals with similar information aren't credible.

Seriously?! If someone took pot shots at not only you, but also your wife & family... wouldn't you be a little pissed off?
    Acting unprofessional does, in fact, give credence to accusations of unprofessional behavior. People get emotional all the time. We properly expect an executive whose very job is management and public relations to handle themselves better under stress. And the nature of game development is almost always stressful.

Never mind whether mr Derek "Desktop Commander" Smart is right or not, he's the one who made this into a shitstorm. He took a few niggling doubts and made them into a full-blown paranoia fueled witch hunt, questioning not only the project, but also the character and the life of Chris Roberts to the smallest details, stopping short just a smidgen before whether Chris Roberts leaves the toilet seat up.

That is not to say that Star Citizen doesn't deserve to be questioned or criticised. Of course it does and especially by the press. But articles like "Eject! Eject! Is Star Citizen going to crash and burn?" are nothing more than clickbait of the lowest sort, the kind that one might expect of Kotaku or perhaps even Gawker. This is shoddy sensationalist rushed out "journalism" that whores itself out to the highest outrage bidder.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Throwing the broken clock in the trash won't change the time. Nor will it contradict the nine other clocks giving the same time.

Credibility just doesn't work like that. If someone isn't credible, then their information deserves to be thrown out. It doesn't establish that the inverse of their statements is true, nor that unassociated individuals with similar information aren't credible.
    WTF? Seriously... WTF? If you have 9 other clocks that are all broken & no longer tell time... common sense demands that you stop using them. Common sense would also demand that you use a clock that that has been proven to tell the right time correctly every time & is not broken. A clock that is unbiased & is not easily swayed by any outside forces. In this particular case... clickbait journalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Acting unprofessional does, in fact, give credence to accusations of unprofessional behavior. People get emotional all the time. We properly expect an executive whose very job is management and public relations to handle themselves better under stress. And the nature of game development is almost always stressful.
    No. Doxxing someone is unprofessional & is equal to someone breaking Godwin's law online in my book. Roberts getting pissed off about it is completely normal & human nature. Here's a quote from Chris Roberts:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Roberts
    Derek Smart is very adept at doing what he has been doing; spreading Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. He always grabs one nugget of a fact and uses that to sell a whole lot of lies and disinformation. He tweets about Star Citizen EVERY DAY. Not once but multiple times. If you read his Twitter stream it comes across as the crusade of a crazy man. He continually blogs about us. He constantly agitates…encouraging people to ask for refunds, report us to the FTC, the FBI and/or their local attorney general. He calls me a liar, a fraud, incompetent and many other names. He has slandered my family members and business partners. He has publically doxed me, sharing the address of my home in LA, pictures of my wife and five year old daughter.
    If I were in his shoes I'd have spoken up a long time ago. For him to hold back this long showed a great amount of restraint on his part. And I'm sorry but even just the insinuation that getting angry gives credence to the opposing is the most asinine thing I've ever heard.

Level 10,000 achieved
    WTF? Seriously... WTF? If you have 9 other clocks that are all broken & no longer tell time... common sense demands that you stop using them.
    Pretty sure the nine other clocks in this scenario are working, and the broken one simply shows the same time as them twice a day. And yes that proverb does apply here. Just because Smart is a dick doesn't mean there aren't problems with the development of SC. However, Smart being so anti RSI means I suddenly have a whole lot more sympathy for Roberts.