TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: T2 FM - NewDark 64 Cubed Contest: Zealotís Hollow

Finished but with 1000 loot short and 6 out of 11 secrets
    Amazing experience!

This looks like really good mission but I sure wish I had a rope arrow. Every place I end up stuck with no way out. Where are the rope arrows?

Quote Originally Posted by bedwine View Post
    This looks like really good mission but I sure wish I had a rope arrow. Every place I end up stuck with no way out. Where are the rope arrows?
    Impossible to explain.
    Climb up as far as possible and get close to the Guards Tower. Then drop down on the left side behind it to the bottom again.

I really liked this one. As long as you really think hard about where to mantle, it is all good. Maybe rope arrows would have made the mission too easy

Where's the Shrine key please? I seem to have missed it. I've been in the Sybil's attic and the part with the black creature already. I'd also love to find the rope arrows. Someone posted they were near the guard tower? No luck with that either.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    Where's the Shrine key please? I seem to have missed it. I've been in the Sybil's attic and the part with the black creature already. I'd also love to find the rope arrows. Someone posted they were near the guard tower? No luck with that either.
    The key and the rope arrows are in the same area - and it is in fact near the guard tower -- in the NE corner of the map below it.

Some jumping action from a roof ridge may be required...

Hmmm...I've been on that roof ridge several times. I must just been overlooking the same thing repeatedly. *sigh* Thank you. I'll keep looking.

edit: With the compass direction, I was able to find one tiny spot I'd missed previously and I've got the key now. Hopefully the rope arrows will follow soon.

Really tough mission. Very tight and vertical-oriented. I've explored it twice and stuck for good since I don't know where to seek now.

I know there is more I need to explore but please could someone explain where the rope arrows are,its getting a bit tiresome now to keep on falling .I have been near the window to the ghost and as far NE as I can on the map but I still cant find any rope arrows,its the only thing holding me back.

otherwise its a good game

NewDark 64≥ Contest Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by JonesCrusher View Post
    Could someone explain where the rope arrows are
    Go through the windows and they are down in the smaller of the two rooms where the ghost patrols

New Mantling..?

How do I turn on the "new mantling" function anyway? I went into the Options section and I sure can't find it under "New Mantling".

Once it's on, what button would it be on by default?

It doesn't work that way. In your Thief 2 folder, look for a file called cam_ext.cfg. In that file, toward the bottom, you will see a few lines that look like this:

; -------------
    ; game specific
    ; -------------

; enable new mantling code
    ; new_mantle

Remove the semi-colon from in front of new_mantle so it looks like this:

; -------------
    ; game specific
    ; -------------

new_mantle

Then save the file.

Thanks Tannar :)

Quote Originally Posted by Tannar View Post
    It doesn't work that way. In your Thief 2 folder, look for a file called cam_ext.cfg. In that file, toward the bottom, you will see a few lines that look like this:

; -------------
    ; game specific
    ; -------------

; new_mantle

Remove the semi-colon from in front of new_mantle so it looks like this:

; -------------
    ; game specific
    ; -------------

new_mantle

Then save the file.
    WOW, I remember having to remove a semi-colon infront of something else many, many years ago (Nightwalker helped with that), just so T2 would work with the Win OS Millennium... How does it work in-game? I started playing without and I can see where mantling would be very helpful in this mission. Rope/vine arrows would have worked too...

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    It just works in place of old mantling any time you mantle. Mainly it makes it easier to mantle onto things that were frustrating in the past, but it can also make mantling possible in places where it was impossible before, so some older missions have been found to be broken because of that. But these missions should be fine since they were made with NewDark and probably new_mantle on by the author.

Thanks Yandros :)

Going back now...

One thing I like best about new_mantle:
    you can crouch in front of an obstacle and use the jump button in order to climb on/through it.

In OldDark, Garrett would have jumped up without trying to mantle, but with that setting he simply mantles while staying crouched.
    Like that small window frames are no longer a problem!

This mission is like a messy room. Pure genius. Picasso anyone?

NewDark 64≥ Contest Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by bartekb81 View Post
    Really tough mission. Very tight and vertical-oriented. I've explored it twice and stuck for good since I don't know where to seek now.
    Not sure where you've been, but if you mantle through the window above the room in which you start, you can climb the rooftop of that building and drop down into the little space where the rope stretches across the main alley. Then go through the little metal gate on the opposite side, leading into the small electrical room, following that hallway down to the ground level and to a warehouse at the foot of a winding set of stairs. Go through the window of that warehouse. From there you can climb the walls all the way to the top of the rooftops, essentially giving you access to the entire map, and nearly all the places you 'need' to go.

Yes, I've managed to climb upper and explore a lot of new places but still got nothing except a mysterious "wine room key"; I was by the window through I can see a room with ghost, but can't go inside that way. I was in apartment with female-haunt strolling around, too, but can't open the gate behind it. Maybe I'll try this mission later

I finished this mission - one of the best btw - but never encounter any ghosts I've been to Sybil's cell, took her to my place, found all the corpses taken from GearVault, 3800+ loot and 7 secrets, visited every place I could think of... and nothing. Only guards and thieves (and one deeply indifferent mage).

And that's a shame since it was a wonderful mission with absolutely tremendous geometry but I feel I've missed a large part of it

Oh, and the "no kill or KO" objective restart after some reloads, so I could finish mission with clean map and clean conscience

What am I doing wrong...I have gone right up to a tower with an archer in it and cannot get over the railings to drop down to the left, dropped down on the right, found a locked box with a jammed switch, dropped lower and found a window I cannot climb through that has a priest type with light balls slowly raising from him and at the bottom the room with the mechanist relics in it..no rope arrows...where am I going wrong...
    Oh, playing on hard by the way.
    I can jump from the tower over to a lit window and then I have a city watch banner on my left and the tower in front of me...nowhere to go .
    Last edited by Ravenhook; 3rd May 2013 at 08:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenhook View Post
    What am I doing wrong...I have gone right up to a tower with an archer in it and cannot get over the railings to drop down to the left, dropped down on the right, found a locked box with a jammed switch, dropped lower and found a window I cannot climb through that has a priest type with light balls slowly raising from him and at the bottom the room with the mechanist relics in it..no rope arrows...where am I going wrong...
    Oh, playing on hard by the way.
    I can jump from the tower over to a lit window and then I have a city watch banner on my left and the tower in front of me...nowhere to go .
    You may have problems with the mantling as you can enter the window you mention in the spoiler tags. However, you don't need to go there right now - you need to visit the Sibyl first! Before you can do that you need to do other things on various parts of the map, though...

The box with the jammed switch can still be manipulated - it will cost you a moss and a water arrow in exactly this order! This will shut down some lights in certain buildings. This may also be a secret so it's worth trying, IMHO.

The structure of this mission isn't really too complicated - in fact it's quite linear. The problem is that you don't know where to go and that some stuff is located not where someone says (the Sibyl key isn't in the cellars, for example.
    My way of attacking this mission therefore was to simply explore it and to get surprised. Then after I learned what lies where etc. I simply followed the rope and revisited certain places. This worked well, I guess, as I had all objectives done in about 2 hours, 8 secrets and enough loot. Now I'm spending some more time to find additional loot.

As for your last comment:

As a general rule: You can access certain areas only if you opened up others on a completely different height level!

So, for example, if you miss an open window on the street level (note that I wrote street level and not street!) you may not be able to reach the top of the map!
    You should always try to enter/exit through windows in this mission if the windows looks big enough to get to new areas - and there are lots of windows that can be opened.
    There is also one place where you can/must mantle window shutters (!) to be able to continue to climb up. So make sure your train your mantling skills in the "rule set" of the NewDark patch.

Rope arrows, while essential in one location, aren't needed for the rest of the map. There is a reason these arrows only appear near the end of the mission. Everything else can be climbed and mantled or jump-mantled.

Thanks...I did find a trusty crate and with the small crate underneath managed to get over the bars in the tower.. I have got the new mantling enabled and will have to hone my techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenhook View Post
    Thanks...I did find a trusty crate and with the small crate underneath managed to get over the bars in the tower.. I have got the new mantling enabled and will have to hone my techniques.
    Good - now try to get over the bars of the guard tower using only the small crate!

Man this was AWESOME and very challenging at the same time!! Congrats to the Maker

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast