TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wolfenstein: The New Order - from the makers of Riddick: Butcher Bay & The Darkness 1

Or unless there is a huge public outcry about the lack of manual saves in a particular game, as what happened with Shadowrun Returns. In which case, it get's added in later.

Can't think of many other instances where manual saves got added in later on, other than AvP 1 in the gold edition.

Didn't Far Cry do that, too? FTL, recently. My general impression is that it's really kind of common.

I just finished it.

Well, it is part OK and part horribly bad.
    OK in the sense that you get alot of enemies, nice setpieces, guns and a few inspired cutscenes.
    Bad in the sense that it does sloppy, lazy mistakes I love to hate...

Enemyclosets ! (empty room - push button ..... enemies appear out of thin air)
    Dying is Bad ! (checkpoints sometimes reset your inventory, place you in the middle of an ambush or ignore that you already killed the enemies)
    Cutscenes ! (like all the time, everytime - a few I liked - but the sheer amount and the boring try-hard-to-make-you-care story had me skipping them alot at the end)
    Perks ! (that give you more ammo....WOW)
    Limitless Resources ! (well, not limitless but so many of them that I was always at max ammo/hp)
    Übercharge your HP ! (for .... what ? you got cover, a bazillion guns and ammo....I rarely took damage)
    Get Stuck on Scenery ! ( you can't polish everything but at least boss arenas please)
    Half-assed Ending ( we made money - sorry, all a joke, working on a sequel now / we made not enough money - ending is legit)

Also, I played on über and only died 10 times according to the statistics.....that aint über for me.....
    Which means Shadow Warrior is still my most beloved "old-school" reimagining.

Recommendation: Bargain Bin

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    This mothra post brought to you by mothra.

I'm surprised he didn't whine about the sex scenes.

Mothra's reviews are all class.

the jokes that never get old department

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    I'm surprised he didn't whine about the sex scenes.
    Wait, Mothra's a "he" ?

The sexscenes were "OK". Plastic videogame dollsex is always akward for me but it has its place in video game storytelling if done right.
    This was neither right nor wrong, just.....forgettable. Which is better than some Mass Effect romances you feel obliged to go through because of ... numbers/benefits/OCD
    I was waiting for her getting pregnant and B.J. calling it quits on all the murdering

mothy, can I ask you which guy you let live at the beginning? Because there's a lot of people talking about Tekla's scenes, and she's not there if Wyatt lives.

So ... how good is this game, really?

Where I live, it costs quite a lot as compared to most other games; yet I like the look of it, and the talk about 'open levels' and stealth being a possibility makes me think Dishonored with Nazis*. How far off the mark am I?

Two more requests:

1. Can I get screencaps of control layouts? I mainly want the Xbox version and PC key binds. Are the Xbox controls fully customisable, by the way? Or d'you have to choose from a list of presets? Or are they set in stone (which I somehow doubt)?

2. How's the combat? Does it feel good? I have very little experience with FPSes, and am abysmally bad at most (Bioshock Infinite and Crysis 2 being the only ones that I've beaten - not even kidding, unfortunately) and I mainly want to know how it works, what kind of options I have (do I have to abuse 'special abilities' like in the ones I mentioned?)

* yes, I know it's an FPS and 'stealth' here amounts to flinging knifes and sneaky melee kills.

It's nothing like Dishonored, it's an FPS with a couple of stealth options tacked on. The levels are pretty linear, though not to the extremes of your CoD, but a far cry from your (ahem) FarCry or even Dishonored. There are a couple of levels that have reasonably open areas, but these are the exception rather than the norm. The stealth elements rely on not making much noise and keeping out of sight. You can't hide bodies or disguise yourself, and you're restricted to a silenced pistol and (Somewhat overpowered) knives* for takedowns

There's no 'special abilities' per se, but you can unlock little perks by completing little challenges (kill X number of enemies with Y weapons), but most of these just give you passive buffs like increased magazine size and faster reloading.

I did find it hugely enjoyable, though. It handles combat in a very satisfying way, even if you do feel like a tank ploughing through a field of matchstick men. It doesn't take itself too seriously, but it's not really tongue in cheek either. It's manages to walk the fine line of Serious Issues (A level set in a concentration camp) and Over-the-top farce (Nazis on the Moon) without turning into a complete parody.

*Thrown knife to the shin = instant death. Though they do have a limited range and arc in flight, so a modicum of skill is required.

Quote Originally Posted by driver View Post
    It's nothing like Dishonored, it's an FPS with a couple of stealth options tacked on. The levels are pretty linear, though not to the extremes of your CoD, but a far cry from your (ahem) FarCry or even Dishonored. There are a couple of levels that have reasonably open areas, but these are the exception rather than the norm. The stealth elements rely on not making much noise and keeping out of sight. You can't hide bodies or disguise yourself, and you're restricted to a silenced pistol and (Somewhat overpowered) knives* for takedowns

There's no 'special abilities' per se, but you can unlock little perks by completing little challenges (kill X number of enemies with Y weapons), but most of these just give you passive buffs like increased magazine size and faster reloading.

I did find it hugely enjoyable, though. It handles combat in a very satisfying way, even if you do feel like a tank ploughing through a field of matchstick men. It doesn't take itself too seriously, but it's not really tongue in cheek either. It's manages to walk the fine line of Serious Issues (A level set in a concentration camp) and Over-the-top farce (Nazis on the Moon) without turning into a complete parody.

*Thrown knife to the shin = instant death. Though they do have a limited range and arc in flight, so a modicum of skill is required.
    So, more like a light-hearted Crysis 2 with Nazis instead of aliens and no cloak? I think I can do that. Sounds fun. How hard is the game? I suck at FPSes. Gave up a few hours into Borderlands 2 and completed Crysis 2 on Hard with excessive cloaking/sniping/armouring, but found Bioshock Infinite and Bioshock 1 fairly easy on Hard - although I got bored of the old Bioshock after the big twist. Regardless I usually like to play on Hard, so I'd like to have an idea of what playing on a higher difficulty entails.
    Last edited by gkkiller; 11th Jun 2014 at 11:17.

I've heard more than a few criticise if for being too easy, but I found it balanced out rather well. I finished it on hard, and while I had trouble with a couple of areas (nothing a change in tactics couldn't sort), it was a fun challenge for the most part.

:edit:

My only real criticism would be the cover mechanics were a bit iffy. If you crouched behind a wall then used the iron sights/scope, it was meant to make your character lean out (or pop his head up a little), but all too often it didn't seem to work properly and I'd find myself getting a close up look at the wall I was hiding behind.

They're hard to see, but there's little arrows that pop up when you're near a corner or top of a wall.

I didn't notice them at first, but sometimes even when I was in the 'right' place, I'd lean out but still have my cover obstructing my view.

Yeah, it's not perfect. I think that's a side effect of the cover system not being something you can lock to -- you still have freedom of movement.

So, just completed this game (Wyatt storyline) (1). It did have some problems (2) (3), but overall I really enjoyed it.

Imo, it does have just about enough of the 'special ingredients' to make it stand out from the usual shooter crowd that I enjoyed so much in the Riddick games and The Darkness. Stuff like optional stealth (although it IS ridiculously overpowered in TNO; it's even easier than the stealth in Metro:LL), semi-open environments, downtime in between all the shooting where you interact with NPCs, some very simple puzzles, use of tools and gadgets, etc. - all this without becoming a full-blown hybrid game such as e.g. Deus Ex.

In fact, it's quite interesting to compare TNO to the Syndicate reboot in that regard, because while Syndicate was competent enough, I did feel it was lacking in precisely those kind of things for me to enjoy it more.

Plus, in TNO, you get to see B.J. Blazkowicz tripping on acid.

(1) I did briefly have a go at the Fergus storyline too; played up to the start of the asylum section, basically. The two main differences I've noticed so far: 1.) instead of picking manual locks you hotwire electric locks, and 2.) instead of finding armour upgrades you can find health upgrades. Pretty neat.

(2) Technology-wise, I was playing this on the 360 (the game comes on 4 discs!), and you can tell the game's been designed for more powerful machines; there's some pretty poor texturing in some places.

(3) Story-wise, there's a few lulls here and there - although none as bad as Tibbs makes out, imo. Plus, the levels set in a concentration camp (well, the fiction's version of concentration camps, at least) just about manage to walk the fine line of pulp fiction without being overly crass.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Just finished it. The shooting is good. The stealth, while a bit barebones, is solid. I played on second hardest difficulty for most of it, but switched down to medium for the last few levels when it got too difficult to be any fun. Some people didn't like the sex scenes, but I did! I think showing BJ and Anya in the midst of their relationship gave a better sense of what you're fighting for. Their scenes together and Anya revealing about her past through the Ramona diaries made me care about those two. I wanted them to have a happy ending. As for the ending I got... while it's true that it's pretty open ended, it's not a bad ending. It's pretty true to the rest of the story.

And it's a good looking game. The Rage engine allows for some really detailed environments, I particularly liked the home base.

Overall, really damn good game. I'd even go as far as saying it's the best one in the series! Of course nothing could rival the impact Wolf 3D had on me back then, but it was pretty barebones as a game. I liked both RtcW and Wolfenstein 2009 but neither grabbed me with their storylines or told me anything about who BJ was. TNO feels like the first one in the series to really deliver the complete package.

Shit, that reminds me; I never did listen to all the Ramona diaries.

I wonder what Warren Spector would have to say about the final product. This is really shockingly good for a Wolfenstein game, and while it has its issues, I really didn't think I'd ever be playing a highly story-driven Wolfenstein game with stealth, home base sections between missions, and acknowledgment of social issues.

Not done yet, but here are my main critiques so far:

-It's got the Bethesda problem of trying to do too much at once to give you choices. Meaning the cover system, stealth mechanics, and vehicle segments could all use improving.

-The stealth system in particular feels lacking due to the lack of corpse detection. I can shoot someone with a silenced handgun who is standing next to someone else and the other guy won't even notice? Really? Is this fixed on higher difficulties? It could really use some corpse hiding. More fleshed out stealth.

-Having a black character explain to BJ that he was the nazi before the war was awesome, but that character was so poorly written otherwise. I don't know why they decided to make him a basement Jimi Hendrix.

-Manual saves please!

-If they really wanted to let you pick a playstyle, more open ended level design would be nice.
    Last edited by froghawk; 27th Aug 2017 at 13:40.

Chakat sex pillow
    Regarding point one, it's not a Bethesda-developed game, it's from MachineGames, a company founded by the dudes who did Riddick: EfBB as the thread title says. Its structure is extremely similar to EfBB, so the same pros/cons apply.

As far as stealth is concerned: this is an FPS with light stealth elements if you feel like evening out the playground before the inevitable firefights, so it's not really going to make itself open-ended or feature realistic stealth even at higher difficulties. It's Wolfenstein, so it's an FPS before anything else.

Basement Jimi's a causality/alternate timeline consequence who's essentially a tongue-in-cheek nod to what America would have been without the Nazis (which is to say, our reality; the fact that we have his take on All Along the Watchtower that plays like a liquid napalm baptism means we're living in the best reality, really). He's not going to get fleshed out.

And yeah, quicksaves would have been nice. The checkpointing is generous enough, at least.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 27th Aug 2017 at 14:17.

I am aware regarding starbreeze. I never did manage to finish Riddick - it didn't grab me. Probably because it was so overhyped to me before I tried. On this other hand, I'm enjoying the hell out of this, since I expected nothing from a Wolfenstein game (much like Spector) and got a whole lot more. My complaints re: stealth pertain more to believability than anything - I wouldn't mind them not being fleshed out if it didn't make the AI seem so dumb.

Just played through Old Blood, and it actually addressed a lot of my criticisms!

Pros:
    -Continuous levels (in each of the two parts) - makes a nice contrast to New Order's nonstop jumping around. Now we're at the bottom of the sea! Now we're on the moon!
    -The stealth is way more fleshed out. Not only are there more stealth mechanics (still no corpse hiding / discovery, but that's ok), but it's just a more viable playstyle - you can actually stealth most of the game or shoot your way through it, which is awesome.
    -The level design actually DOES have multiple paths in some parts.
    -It was fun to see the plot of the older games updated here (like actually going to castle wolfenstein, then zombies!
    -It's quite visually beautiful at times.
    -Throwing in several wolfenstein 3D levels was awesome - particularly the end of the last one.

Cons:
    -The awful climbing mechanic from Resident Evil 6. Has anyone EVER enjoyed that?
    -The vehicle section is still kind of lame.
    -Far less plot driven with less cinematics. Not reaaaally a con, but I enjoyed those in the original.

Overall, I'd say it's an improvement. A solid dumb fun shooter to occupy two afternoons. Looking forwards to the sequel - I hope they carry over the new ideas from here.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Really? I liked The New Order a lot, but The Old Blood left me cold. I was pleasantly surpised by how robust the stealth was in TNO, but I think I had started to expect too much from it by the time I got around to TOB, because there it felt underwhelming. Particularly how, when you've gotten spotted, there's no putting the monkey back in the bottle, it's just straight-up shooting from then on. I think playing MGSV and some Far Cry games (games which blend action and stealth beautifully) inbetween raised my expectations too much. I didn't even end up finishing The Old Blood.

Huh. I'd say TOB is very worth playing through myself. It's true that it's shooties only once you get spotted, but I don't see that as worse than guards with the attention spans of goldfish with dementia. Especially as it's mostly confined environments that don't leave a lot of spots someone could've escaped to.

The Wolf3D dream levels were actually pretty tedious imo, but they're entirely optional so that's fine. They were also in TNO.
    I don't remember RE6's climbing mechanic being something out of the ordinary, and that game's not an FPS. Did you mean RE7?

Chakat sex pillow
    TOB seemed a bit, for lack of a better word, 'tired'. Castle Wolf was great initially, but it eventually became pretty mind-numbing. The moment zombies happened and it ditched TNO's tendency to inject the proceedings with some sort of story development, it became readily apparent that the gameplay couldn't sustain itself in halls and corridors for extended durations without getting pretty stale.