TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolfenstein: The New Order - from the makers of Riddick: Butcher Bay & The Darkness 1

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Wolfenstein: The New Order - from the makers of Riddick: Butcher Bay & The Darkness 1

http://www.gamespot.com/news/wolfens...vealed-6407979

A new FPS from MachineGames, formed by the core members of Starbreeze who had founded the studio and worked on Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay and The Darkness 1 (You can read about their inception here, a great piece of journalism about the history of Starbreeze).

, a new entry in the seminal first-person shooter series heading to Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC, and next-generation consoles during Q4 2013.

The New Order is set in 1960 after the Nazis won World War II. Gamers play as the familiar American war hero B.J. Blazkowicz and are tasked with launching an "impossible counter-offensive" against the Nazi powers that have taken over the world.

Set in Europe, The New Order will have players infiltrating Nazi strongholds and battling legions of enemies, while taking control of "super weapons" that the Nazis have used to dominate earth--"and beyond," Bethesda teased.

It's on my radar, I love the Wolfenstein franchise (RtCW and Wolfenstein 2009 are terrific shooters) but I loved Riddick and The Darkness 1 even more.

Level 10,000 achieved
    As far as teaser trailers that don't actually tell you anything about how a game will play goes, that one is fucking awesome.

Though I must say I'd rather be fighting Nazis than Nazi-robots.

I am very excited for this. As long as it preserves that awesome mix of pulp sci-fi mixed with undead horror it really can't be that bad, and I have some degree of confidence in this development team.

On a side note, doesn't All Along the Watchtower seem like a really weird choice for this game?

Chakat sex pillow
    May be, but it certainly got my blood pumping. It certainly can't compete with BSG's dramatic build-up to that track, but I still had to go replay the original song three times because it's that good.

Hee hee, got a bee in your bonnet Mr. War Inspector: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...enstein-Reboot

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    What a pompous, bitter ass. The only thing he's missing is a fedora. Why do we put him and others on a pedestal again?

Chakat sex pillow
    'cause him and others gave you the games that defined part of PC gaming's golden age?

Also, he's human. I'm SHOCKED.

While I enjoyed Wolf 2009, I definitely agree with his point. I don't think he really means to single out Wolfenstein. He's just wording his argument less than eloquently.

At least it isn't game #380,097 inspired by Aliens.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    'cause him and others gave you the games that defined part of PC gaming's golden age?

That pompous prick had the chance to prove his point about linear, violent games after the mess that was DX2. What did we get? A bog standard platformer with a Disney license (for the record I've never played it, but I'm going off the reviews).

Still Subjective
    That trailer would be fine but for the musical choice. I like the track but I loath lazy referencing like that. Just put an original track on it ffs.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post

15 years was a long time ago. And it doesn't excuse bad behavior. Christ, look at CliffyB -- the dude put Epic on the map, and then he turned into the mutant offspring of David Spade breeding with Chad Kroeger's hair.

Quote Originally Posted by catbarf View Post
    On a side note, doesn't All Along the Watchtower seem like a really weird choice for this game?
    Yeah, that made me want to play Vietcong instead :)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Yeah, that made me want to play Vietcong instead
    Well, the game is set in the '60s, so I imagine they'll go for a "Nazis in the '60s, hail baby!" tone.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by catbarf View Post
    It is, but I gotta agree with Sulph. When the first few recognizable tones rung as the robot was being assembled and rain started pouring down it out it did send a shiver down my spine.

Love the stark white-on-red title and credits at the end as well.

http://au.gamespot.com/wolfenstein-t...order-6408067/

I'm getting good vibes from this.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    It is, but I gotta agree with Sulph. When the first few recognizable tones rung as the robot was being assembled and rain started pouring down it out it did send a shiver down my spine.
    I agree that it was used great and I really love the build-up to it, but it seems like a really weird choice since AAtW wasn't even written until seven years after this game is set, and the song itself seems an odd fit with Nazi robots. Still a cool trailer.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

No multiplayer. Utterly unsurprising given the developers' past games. Wait for Dirty Bomb to go into open beta for the modern Enemy Territory-esque fix.

Seems to be crafted like Riddick and The Darkness, extended "Adventure" segments where you interact with characters (maybe you'll do side-quests? Like in the aforementioned games).

Some screenshots over here.

The game uses id Tech 5, third game to use it after RAGE and The Evil Within (actually second because it comes out before TEW).

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Whenever I read about this game it always reminds me of a old trilogy of Wolfendoom TC's called "Astrostein", which was basically Wolfenstein in the future. Similar-ish story.

Link:
    http://lazrojas.com/wolfendoom/index2.html

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Whenever I read about this game it always reminds me of a old trilogy of Wolfendoom TC's called "Astrostein", which was basically Wolfenstein in the future. Similar-ish story.

Link:
    http://lazrojas.com/wolfendoom/index2.html
    I remember that one-played it years ago and had a blast!

Hell yeah. The entire Wolfendoom series was awesome. Sunk a fairly big amount of time playing all of those many years ago. Arctic Wolf was my favorite of the lot.

Still Subjective
    I never played any of the others but I might have a go on this!

http://www.wolfenstein.com/en-gb

Level 10,000 achieved

Yeah the new trailer looks good. The story doesn't seem to be particularly original, but it wouldn't take much for this to have the best narrative of any Wolfenstein game. Also, using a version of "Boom Boom" with German vocals instead of John Lee Hooker is an ingenious way of setting the tone and showing how much the world has gone to hell.

Chakat sex pillow
    I gotta say, this looks like it's gonna be enjoyably Tarantinoesque in its delivery. Not the worst way to reboot a classic franchise.