TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: T2 Campaign: Sturmdrang Peak (15/05/13)

I don't know if I'm the only one who's noticed this, but with the most recent version of AM16's Thief Mission Bugfix, the names of the custom objects disappear. Is anyone else having this problem? How do I fix it?

UPDATE: I found a temporary workaround: copy the file "objnames.str" from the "strings" folder into the "english" subfolder in "strings."
    Last edited by Mechs Delight; 9th Jun 2013 at 19:55.

I thought AM16's bugfix was for OMs, not for FMs. I'm afraid I don't know - needs expert help I think.

As you know I was one of the beta testers ... I liked this campaign from the beginning.

To become one of my favored FMs a FM has to have a conclusive and logical story. And this one has it, a former girl friend (we gain some knowledge of Garrett's private life) involves our master thief into an affair which leads not only to a simple pirate treasure.

Besides the story the texts are excellent and enjoyable, the architecture stands out. Well done!
    My FM campaigns Garrett's Young Years XTra, Reunion With Basso
    Want your upcoming FM translated in foreign languages?

Quote Originally Posted by Mechs Delight View Post
    I don't know if I'm the only one who's noticed this, but with the most recent version of AM16's Thief Mission Bugfix, the names of the custom objects disappear. Is anyone else having this problem? How do I fix it?

UPDATE: I found a temporary workaround: copy the file "objnames.str" from the "strings" folder into the "english" subfolder in "strings."
    Hmmm... all released versions of AM16's patch have that file in strings\english, but not in strings itself.
    Must be a leftover of some other mission.

Quote Originally Posted by gnartsch View Post
    Hmmm... all released versions of AM16's patch have that file in strings\english, but not in strings itself.
    Must be a leftover of some other mission.
    I think he's referring to the objnames.str from "Sturmdrang Peak", which is indeed located in strings itself in the mission's zip file. Apparently, Thief 2 prefers the objnames.str in the english sub-folder in this case, which only contains the game's standard objects.

Just finished this amazing campaign! I loved every moment of it. This campaign will definitely be getting more playthroughs from me. Thank you very much for all the hard work that you put in to this.

Just a quick question

Since there's a crypt and all, are there any zombies? Thanks

No. There's one haunt who's really easy to come up behind and hit with an overhead swing of your sword. Or you can just avoid it.

Edit. There are also haunts in the final mission but I tend to avoid 2 and kill the rest.

Ok thanks nickie, I'm not worried about the haunts at all. The zombies just do me in and turn me to blubber LOL

Until I started testing missions, I was a complete jelly about all undead. These days, I'm much more frightened by things I can't see but only hear.

Wow!
    This was a wonderful piece of work and a joy to play.
    Great storyline, great acting, great puzzles, great missions.

You can now download a patched version of Sturmdrang Peak, including French translation here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ehkmrnl0t1...ngPeak_v11.zip

Enjoy!

BTW in case any German taffer still does not know about it ... here is a German version of the FM.
    My FM campaigns Garrett's Young Years XTra, Reunion With Basso
    Want your upcoming FM translated in foreign languages?

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    You can now download a patched version of Sturmdrang Peak, including French translation here:
    Just curious: there are no translated GOALS in the french ZIP ? By mistake ?
    EDIT: And the books are full of non-displayable characters and not even all books are translated.
    I think you included an old version (last french file edited on june 9).
    Last edited by gnartsch; 6th Jul 2013 at 06:16.

What is new in the new version by the way besides French translation?

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    What is new in the new version [...]?
    From the mission pack's Readme file:

* Changelist v1.1 *

* Included French translation.
    * Added 1.1 to the title screen.
    * Added additional blockers around the Village Watch station to prevent a map escape.
    * Moved sword guard in Watch station.
    * Added lockpicks to equipment chest labels.
    * Slightly moved a secret to make it harder to find.
    * Added the word "first" to the Go to the Inn objective in Mission 1.
    * Added some objects and switched some textures to make the vents less confusing in mission 2.
    * Fixed armoire dimensions.
    * Added more loot and stuff to find in missions 2 and 3.
    * Added an extra guard in the electrics room.
    * Added flicker to torchlight.
    * Added an extra secret door, and moved a bit of fence.
    * Added a "success" sound effect that plays when you enter the right combination for the odometer.
    * Reshaped the vault area slightly.
    * Fixed 2 typos in terrence.str
    * Changed how the beetles fight, so they are more useful.
    * Added a few extra lights to mission 4 to aid navigation.
    * Tweaked the idle settings on the first stationary pirate in the forward cabin of Mission 5, so he turns more often.
    * Removed a couple of crates to allow easier access to a chest.
    * Added an invisible blocker to prevent the player getting stuck on some paintings.
    * Made the ocean kill you almost instantly.
    * Moved some levers to be more obvious.
    * Added some corpses floating in the river.
    * Added more beetle eggs to mission 6.
    * Fixed Castle Gate Mechanism Key being destroyed before it was needed.
    * Added an extra guard to mission 3 outside area.
    * Reskinned the wounded in the servants quarters to look wounded.
    * Switched the Cryptic Note and the Priest's journal for better flow.
    * Blocked off a tricky map escape on the Blacksmith's roof.
    * Possible to knock out or kill cutscene participants - fixed.

Well done!

This was the last fan mission I had finished (so far ^^) and it is really worth commenting. I liked this campaign, whereby I have to admit, that it had in storystelling and architecture highs (most mission) and downs (ship mission and the Forgotten Depths, where the last mentioned had a sweet lighning on the other side). I feel I cannot describe my impression appropriately, but will give it a little further try. For example I was very fond of the first mission, with its rainy and humid pirate atmosphere, telling the impression of a little, sleepy fisher village. Also the castle missions fitted well into the theme and were well elaborated with grapical highlights (like the library in the 3rd mission). In the ship mission I was glad, when I had finished it, what maybe due to the fact, that I have problems with this type of architecture in "stand alone" mission in general and think, that the engine is not made for this type of mission. Also it seemed for me it was there, because there was a existing ship mission, which had to be used. Otherwise, it was one of the better ship mission I have seen so far. Anyway: the last mission was georgeous and covered the whole campaign with a very, very well done expression. In it I enjoyed the riddles and especially the beautiful architecture. So, well done nicked, looking forward to see new mission.

I just completed the campaign and I must say: well done. Really well done.

The puzzles were never too difficult or too easy, there was never a point where I was stuck for a long time, it had an
    interesting story and some nice plot-twists.

I also liked the designs in the levels and the last level was awesome!
    I loved the ending with the Haunt-like creatures and the towers.

Overall superb campaign and can't wait for more of you nicked

There is now a walkthrough available, thanks Ricebug!

Click here to download.

Missing my blackjack :(

Absolutely beautiful mission and I am enjoying it immensely. One question, I chose unwisely at the beginning and did not pick my blackjack. I like putting everyone to sleep when I play and now beginning mission Mission 3 I really miss it. Is there another one located elsewhere in the game or am I forced to use my sword?
    Thanks for making this FM nicked!

edit: forgot to ask this, if I update the FM to the latest version will my savegames work?
    Last edited by bobber; 17th Nov 2013 at 12:42. Reason: info request

Quote Originally Posted by bobber View Post
    I chose unwisely at the beginning and did not pick my blackjack. I like putting everyone to sleep when I play and now beginning mission Mission 3 I really miss it. Is there another one located elsewhere in the game or am I forced to use my sword?
    I have not seen any other blackjack in the missions, including objects like frying pans or something simliar that could be used as a replacement for the blackjack.

Quote Originally Posted by bobber
    if I update the FM to the latest version will my savegames work?
    Rather not. You could, however, save a game at the beginning of a new mission with the older version of this FM pack, then switch to the newer version, load this saved game, restart the mission and continue. If loading the saved game from the previous version works (meaning the game does not crash while loading), you most likely would not run into problems. No guarantees, though.

On the other hand, I was able to play v1 of the campaign without any important problems, so maybe you should just finish it as well.
    Last edited by baeuchlein; 17th Nov 2013 at 13:02. Reason: Added some sort of disclaimer.

No, there is no other BJ in the game. If you want to have one you'll have to restart the series but once you've picked the correct chest, you could skip to the beginning of Mission 3 rather than replaying them all if you prefer.

NW, now THAT is a good idea, never thought of it! Thanks.

I created a walkthrough for the Sturmdrang Peak Campaign for normal difficulty.

http://thief2fanwalks.freewebspace.com/SturmMain.html

can't read in-game documents

Should say: "Can't read in-game documents"

This may be an issue with the NewDark engine rather than this mission since I am having the same problem in 4th Planet, though I did not have the problem in Island of Sorrow or in Cataclysmic Revelations.

The issue is that many in-game documents--books, scrolls, etc--appear completely black rather than showing text. Oddly, though, not all documents do this. Most books are black and most scrolls laying about, but posted notices appear normally. I had to go out of the game into the book folder to read the text files pertaining to the plot, then apply the info from memory.

I have searched the forums for discussion of this issue, but have had no success.

Has ANYONE else experienced this in this mission (or any other)?

BTW: Great Mission! Enjoyed it thoroughly.

PS--I'm running version 1.21 of NewDark.
    Last edited by Tannar; 27th Jan 2014 at 00:33. Reason: Fixed title for you