TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Thief Enhancement Pack 2.0 alpha

Mirror to the updated version as of 2014-11-23 : https://copy.com/wFLDkUvljNBiyT7Q
    Last edited by Constance; 23rd Nov 2014 at 16:02. Reason: Updated again

Southquarter.com/fms
    I put it up on Southquarter too:

Thief EP 2.0

bikerdude
    Just had a quick look at the first mission with Basso and IMHO a lot of the new texture dont look anything like the originals, some are the wrong scale and other look so out of place they ruin the original feel of the level.

You can try my small thief2 texture pack. It still maintains much of the original look of the game, in my opinion.
    Download it here:

http://dfiles.eu/files/3llv1gxhq

Wow, completely missed this thread until now. But this is great, I wondered when a new version of this was going to be put together. Downloading now!

Edit:

There was a new blackjack model included in AntiMatter16's Thief 2 Fixed missions that is missing from this package. May I also suggest that the new light gem and health shields from Mission X be included?
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 23rd Jun 2013 at 17:18.

Yes, I think this is a good idea, to make a new sort of standardized drop-in pack to replace old awful resources such as the original low poly objects, and using higher detail but true-to-source-material textures and object/model skins. The only problem I'm seeing right now in this regard after being away from the community for years is that a lot of the commonly used patches today that have fixed/custom resources have a lot of conflicts (in some cases redundancies, same files) with what's in this pack. For example the stuff included in TFix and Tafferpatcher has some conflicts with some of the stuff in this pack. It was a lot simpler way back when there weren't so many things floating around and you could run the original game without the need to modify much to get it all running.

I'd probably be willing to put some work into helping this along in getting a coherent up-to-date drop-in by sorting out these conflicts. I'm not much of a "modder" myself as in creating art assets and content but I'm pretty good at tinkering with things in this regard. It's just kind of daunting in that it's hard to tell which things came from where and which is the "better" resource as there's been pretty much zero keeping of inventory documentation in any of these mods as to what went into where.

There are also some "questionable" (possibly some consider it not enough like original) things that some people would also maybe want to drop in as well such as replacement light gem and health shields as pointed out above. I know with textures a lot of people don't like ones that don't closely resemble the originals. Some object replacements (like for example Targa's slightly higher poly potion bottles, crystals and arrows, bow sights and others) would be nice drop-in replacements to consider as well, since this pack is for NewDark and most anyone running this is going to have hardware that is capable of handling somewhat higher polygon counts than the original Thief 2, a 13 year old game at this point. Some may consider some of these not original-like enough, but another custom crf could be made and loaded in for this.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    tried it, but it did not help.
    Just an update on the backwards torches since I had this problem, but the order you specify to load the resources in cam_mod.ini is important here.

Loading in this order: .\mods\EP2\Thief1+.\mods\EP2 will work

But loading in this order: .\mods\EP2+.\mods\EP2\Thief1 will NOT work and you'll still have backwards torches. I guess it checks everything it loads and if duplicate files are find it loads the one specified first in the load order. You will want to load Thief 1 specific resources first.

This again part of why I think is why there needs to be a sort of standard package for these kinds of drop-in enhancement replacements.

Does anyone else have this problem:

On Thief 2 Life of the Party, the windows are scaled wrong for me. I changed the .mtl files for win323.png and win323l.png to this:

Code:
    terrain_scale 64
    Which is strange, because the default .mtl files were already set to terrain_scale 32 64, which should have worked properly but had the windows tiled twice for me.

Also, interestingly enough, the original texture pack I got from NecroBob did not have any mtl files at all and I did not have this scaling issue.

In addition, the moon looks wrong on this level as well. (There's a big white box around the moon.) I took a look in the .crf file and there's duplicates of the moon in there. I deleted all the .png textures to test it, and the white box went away.

Missing items from schwaa's t2 obj pack:

bone1.bin
    desksec.bin
    dincab.bin
    flashbom.bin
    gaslite5.bin
    glasses.bin
    key1.bin
    key1a.bin
    key2.bin
    key2a.bin
    key3.bin
    key3a.bin
    key4.bin
    key4a.bin
    key5.bin
    key5a.bin
    keyorg.bin
    keyred.bin
    skull.bin
    spine.bin
    spinesk.bin
    spotligh.bin
    walspot.bin
    walspot2.bin

Any reason these weren't included?

I've just been playing some fan missions recently, and a lot of the custom readable backgrounds are being replaced with the new plain scroll texture.

You should make sure to play under NewDark and use FMsel to avoid that problem. FMsel is the superior option to avoid resource conflicts and play FMs as authors intended them to look as it uses NewDark's extended resource loading priority capabilities.

It loads them in with this order of priority

- ubermodpath resources specified in cam_mod.ini (don't put things in here obviously if you want to see what the FM author intended)
    - fan mission resources
    - modpath resources specified in cam_mod.ini (should set the EP to load under this variable)
    - everything else

Downloading... hopefully some of these are a better match than in the first EP. I'm going nuts making an FM with some of those (otherwise great looking) textures!

A few notes so far, maybe I'll do something about it myself and submit the "fixes" if no one else is available...

clnbrik1 (the green bricks): they repeat a bit too obviously. It's because they start dark at the top left of the texture, then get lighter on the way down and to the right. It's subtle, but definitely there.

obaswal7 . It doesn't "square" well (that is, if you make a cube and apply this texture, it looks a bit weird that a bunch of rounded-off blocks would suddenly come to a sharp edge at the corner. Also, even if the texture is perfectly aligned, the bricks fit in at odd places at the edges), the color is a bit too bright and its background is a bit too dark, leading to a cartoony feel. However, this is with light_bright on, so maybe it looks better when it's dark with more natural lighting? Still looks very nice, though.

blustn: Looks 100% better than the last entry. However, the doors and windows made to fit on blustn don't all match up anymore

Quote Originally Posted by GUFF View Post
    You should make sure to play under NewDark and use FMsel to avoid that problem. FMsel is the superior option to avoid resource conflicts and play FMs as authors intended them to look as it uses NewDark's extended resource loading priority capabilities.

It loads them in with this order of priority

- ubermodpath resources specified in cam_mod.ini (don't put things in here obviously if you want to see what the FM author intended)
    - fan mission resources
    - modpath resources specified in cam_mod.ini (should set the EP to load under this variable)
    - everything else
    I've been trying it on several missions, and everything seems to be working so far. Thank you.

Time for an updated version?

There haven't been enough new textures that meet up to snuff to put into the enhancement pack. But yes, any updates as to the direction of things so far?

Well maybe not new textures to warrant an update, but a bug fix patch should be made.

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    Missing items from schwaa's t2 obj pack:

bone1.bin
    desksec.bin
    dincab.bin
    flashbom.bin
    gaslite5.bin
    glasses.bin
    key1.bin
    key1a.bin
    key2.bin
    key2a.bin
    key3.bin
    key3a.bin
    key4.bin
    key4a.bin
    key5.bin
    key5a.bin
    keyorg.bin
    keyred.bin
    skull.bin
    spine.bin
    spinesk.bin
    spotligh.bin
    walspot.bin
    walspot2.bin

Any reason these weren't included?
    Off the top of my head, I don't think any of those are drop-in replacements. I specifically remember huge issues with trying to make drop-in replacements for the key objects, since the original keys are oddly quirky.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    There haven't been enough new textures that meet up to snuff to put into the enhancement pack. But yes, any updates as to the direction of things so far?
    Progress on the EP2 is still happening over in the development thread.

At this point, I'm just collecting what other people make and packaging up.

Right, that's what I've been going by. But as of today, I'd say there's enough new textures to merit update. I see MaxED has been working diligently.

MIRROR

Man, this has been posted for months and I just found it today!

Zombified
    Olfred made a new bedroll model - currently untextured. in case someone would like to have a shot at texturing, it's available here.

You should post about that in the development thread.

Updated the link in the first post to point to the latest alpha, which was from the 20th of November 2013.

Known issues: healing and invisibility potion models not included.

Great!!

is new blackjack WIP?
    I can only see original one

No, I don't think so. The rendering of player arm models was always notoriously buggy, which made new arm models a bit pointless.
    I believe NewDark fixes that bug, though. Now we just need someone to make and contribute such a model.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast