TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 259

Thread: Thief Enhancement Pack 2.0 alpha

  1. #151
    New Member
    Registered: Jan 2006
    Alright, problem solved (here's hoping I didn't create another). The culprit was vurt_envmap1.dds (ep2.crf\tex\envmaps\). I deleted the contents and created a transparent texture (black one seems to work as well). Thanks for the help.

  2. #152
    New Member
    Registered: Jan 2006
    In the example below, the banner goes from large to small when cut.
    Thief 2, mission Precious Cargo, location Subaquatic Post 2.



    After looking in OBJ folder (haven't messed with crf files before in my life until a few days ago), I realized mecban3.png (originally gif) is missing. What would the reason be for creating a cut version of the banner (meccut3.png) but no the full banner?
    Last edited by demonee; 23rd Apr 2014 at 08:45.

  3. #153
    New Member
    Registered: Jan 2006
    Wrongly scaled textures.
    Thief 2, mission Kidnap, location Site 5 (Cavador's place, ground floor)



    [EDIT]
    Never mind, this is a conflict with one of the patches that comes with Tafferpatcher (specifically folder "patchedres").
    Last edited by demonee; 23rd Apr 2014 at 07:59.

  4. #154
    Zombified
    Registered: Sep 2004
    report this in the TafferPatcher topic. staying fully compatible with EP2 is a big deal.

  5. #155
    New Member
    Registered: Jan 2006
    Will do.

  6. #156
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by demonee View Post
    1. Which threads are you guys looking at for enhanced textures (the ones you're not making yourselves), "Canon texture packs"?
    Yes, I collect everything posted in that thread, and also C-BEAM's thread (though he's left now.)

    Quote Originally Posted by demonee View Post
    2. Has anyone, to your knowledge, contacted the devs for the original texture sources? I've heard a lot of the textures were photographs the devs (or at least one of them) took on their trips abroad.
    I haven't tried. I doubt they'd still have those resources, and even if they did, they might not have taken or scanned the photographs at a high resolution anyway.



    Quote Originally Posted by demonee View Post
    In the example below, the banner goes from large to small when cut.
    Thief 2, mission Precious Cargo, location Subaquatic Post 2.
    That's an original bug; it needs to be fixed in the mission.

    Quote Originally Posted by demonee View Post
    After looking in OBJ folder (haven't messed with crf files before in my life until a few days ago), I realized mecban3.png (originally gif) is missing. What would the reason be for creating a cut version of the banner (meccut3.png) but no the full banner?
    I must have forgotten to include that file for some reason. It will be in the next version.

  7. #157
    New Member
    Registered: Jan 2006

    Thanks for the replies.

  8. #158
    How is the mod_path in the "cam_mod.ini" file broken down in Thief Gold? I can't tell where one mod's code starts and stops, and where a new one begins. I don't see the rhyme or reason of the + and \ symbols to be able decipher.

    I only want TFix, EP2 and T2Skies to work, but mine looks like this:

    Code:
    mod_path usermods+EP2\Thief1+EP2+mods+mods\t2skies+mods\EP\Thief1+mods\EP
    I assume it looks messy like this because I tried the HD Mod then uninstalled it, then reinstalled TFix... and maybe some other stuff... but I'm not sure.

    The EP2 thread says to just make the line look like this:
    Code:
    mod_path ep2\thief1+ep2
    Which I think is making EP2 work... but then I don't think the T2Skies load, right? I don't know how to add the string for t2skies. What should the mod_path line look like if I pretty much just want EP2 and T2Skies?

    The ep2.crf file exists on my C:\ drive at "..\ThiefDP\ep2.crf"
    The t2skies folder exists on my C:\ drive at "..\ThiefDP\MODS\t2skies\"

    And is there any problem with mod_path code saying "Thief1" when my C:\ directory is actually called, "ThiefDP"?

    Thanks for any guidance...
    Last edited by Darkness_Falls; 11th May 2014 at 02:38.

  9. #159
    Zombified
    Registered: Sep 2004
    if you have TFix
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    -to install EP2, just drop the EP2.crf file into your Thief folder. delete the file to uninstall.
    not all that complicated.

  10. #160
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkness_Falls View Post
    How is the mod_path in the "cam_mod.ini" file broken down in Thief Gold? I can't tell where one mod's code starts and stops, and where a new one begins. I don't see the rhyme or reason of the + and \ symbols to be able decipher.

    I only want TFix, EP2 and T2Skies to work,
    The plus denotes "and me too." The backslash tells which subdirectory Thief should be looking for mods. It can get messy but it can also be a little confusing if you look at it as one giant string. What you should do is isolate each part before a plus sign and that is one single directory being called for.

    for example: mod_path EP2\Thief1 is one path being called forth. Just remember, every time there is a plus there is a break between paths if that makes sense.

    assume it looks messy like this because I tried the HD Mod then uninstalled it, then reinstalled TFix... and maybe some other stuff... but I'm not sure.
    Most likely, yeah.

    Which I think is making EP2 work... but then I don't think the T2Skies load, right? I don't know how to add the string for t2skies. What should the mod_path line look like if I pretty much just want EP2 and T2Skies?
    your mod path should look like this (I think):
    Code:
    mod_path mods\EP2\Thief1+EP2+mods\T2Skies
    Not sure if the first "mods" part is required or not though. I've noted it in red.


    And is there any problem with mod_path code saying "Thief1" when my C:\ directory is actually called, "ThiefDP"?
    No, it's supposed to be like that. Explanation: It's calling for the Thief1 directory inside the EP2.crf, not your directory on your hard drive.

  11. #161
    Zombified
    Registered: Sep 2004
    it's the default TFix mod_path. leave it alone, just drop EP2.crf into the root folder, and everything will work.

  12. #162
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    it's the default TFix mod_path. leave it alone, just drop EP2.crf into the root folder, and everything will work.
    Something wasn't working because I initially did that and it didn't work as planned. Don't think I was seeing enhanced textures, torches weren't dimming, and trying to restart the level or going to the main menu to try and start a new game was crashing the game to Desktop. After tweaking the mod_path a little, though, it wasn't crashing and torches were working, but don't think t2skies are working.

    Thanks sNeaksieGarrett for the info. Those are details I like to know, even if the end result is eventually to revert mod_path to what it was, if it was some sort of human error before. I have to/want to do some experimenting to get things how I want.

  13. #163
    Zombified
    Registered: Sep 2004
    a clean TFix install + EP2 definitely shouldn't crash. maybe provide some more details/can you get it crashing again?

  14. #164
    I don't remember the exact steps I did to create the crashes (appcrash) that occurred whenever I tried to "Restart" the Guild mission or Quit to main menu.

    I was having that crashing issue today (even though I swear I had fixed it yesterday)... so tried tinkering with the cam_mod.ini more to no avail, and the screen resolution in cam.cfg. Reinstalled TFix a couple times. In the end, I got it all working. No need to read more, if you're okay with just knowing I am up and running okay.

    ---

    My troubleshooting observations:
    I eventually figured out I could "Restart" okay from an old saved game I had on the 'Assassins' level, but not from my 'Guild' level saved game that I had been trying the past couple days. Maybe the Guild saved game was corrupted somehow? I could load it and play it, but the torches weren't dimming and the game kept crashing when Restarting it. (The Guild was my farthest progress in the game, so that's why I kept trying to load and test torches and restarts from there.) After re-loading my Assassin's saved game and re-finishing that level, I made a new saved game on Guild. That seems to have fixed the problem. All attempts to "Restart" from Guild work fine now, torches dim, the sky is t2skies, so all seems to be well now!

    One other variable that may have been causing crash problems before is a screen resolution out-of-sync somewhere? Maybe? Not sure. I had had 1920x1200 for quite a while, maybe from DDFix days? But when I was having framerate issues with the HD Mod the other day, I tried changing the resolution in-game to a lower one, to see if that would improve the framerate. It didn't. But I remember it was quite a short list of available screen resolutions to choose from and my 1920x1200 was not on the list, so I feared changing it in the first place, wondering how hard it would be to get back to my 1920x1200; I changed it anyways. Ever since then, the screen resolution for the game has been something less than 1920x1200 (which I hated, of course). Thinking there might be a disconnect in screen resolutions somewhere between files (or with my monitor's outside-of-game setting) causing the crashes, I edited cam.cfg today to make it say 1920x1200, thinking the in-game menu still didn't have that option listed. When I booted up the game and looked at the video options, however, I was surprised to see TFix added a long list of resolutions, with the 1920x1200x32 option as one of them. I'm pretty sure 1920x1200 was already highlighted because I specified it in cam.cfg, but I re-clicked it and hit Done anyways. Maybe that helped fixed some of the crash issues? It's hard to tell... My 'corrupt' Guild saved game still crashes even with the 1920x1200 resolution, but I'm now able to Quit to the main menu from that saved game (which is one place it would crash before), and can also start a new game (which was also crashing before). Since I have no need to ever load the 'corrupt' Guild saved game again, I'm not worried anymore; and I'll just overwrite it someday with a new save.

    All's well that ends well...

    If you're curious, voodoo47, here's some background...
    spoiler:
    In case you were curious, I did not do a "clean" install of TFix, in the classic sense of the term "clean." (Meaning: I wasn't working from a fresh Thief Gold install.) I had installed Thief Gold two or three years ago, and had probably loaded DDFix and maybe other patches at some point over the years, including the HD Mod very recently. As you remember, my problems began with the HD Mod giving me a poor framerate; so I wanted it gone. Since the first page of the TFix thread said that in order to uninstall the HD Mod I could just "repatch with TFix, and delete the hdmod folder when done," I tried that. In the end, that worked, as per the above info I shared. I never had to re-install Thief Gold, thankfully... and I'm pretty sure you weren't saying I'd need to do that anyways. Plus, since you indicated I could maybe just rename my HD Mod folder, I tried that, too. (That was actually the very first thing I tried.) So, I never tried a TFix install on a 'totally clean' Thief install.

    As I recall, the following steps are what I did the past few days. I tried testing the game after each step... looking for torches to properly dim, enhanced textures, and t2skies, where appropriate. It's hard to remember the exact chain of events, so I would just take this with a grain of salt. It's probably not worth trying to recreate the steps on your end because my memory may not be that good here and things may be so convoluted...

    1) Renamed 'HD Mod' folder.
    2) I think torches weren't dimming after that, so I downloaded and installed TFix. Might have downloaded EP2.crf and put it in my Thief folder per the directions at this point, too.
    3) Torches still weren't dimming, and I think this is where I first noticed crashes occurring upon "Restarts" and "Quits" because I started to do that after reading you have to restart the level to get the torches dimming. So, I deleted the HD Mod folder entirely as my next step in my path of troubleshooting, even though I figured it wouldn't make any difference since I had already renamed it. Issues still not fixed, of course.
    4) I probably re-installed TFix again at this point, but was still seeing problems afterward. I think the crashing issues were temporarily resolved, so I could restart the Guild mission and see that the torches were dimming okay. (Note: The crashes came back earlier today in full force, though, for whatever reason -- even though I don't think I had changed anything between yesterday and today.)
    5) Regardless, I still wasn't seeing enhanced textures yet, so this is about the time I started tweaking the cam_mod.ini file and plopping EP2.crf in different places than what was recommended; trying to figure out how to properly reference EP2.crf and t2skies since those weren't working either. That's when I posted above, asking for info on how to decipher mod_path.


    Sorry for the wall of blue. I guess spoiler tags don't collapse text here like they do on some other forums.
    Last edited by Darkness_Falls; 12th May 2014 at 03:04.

  15. #165
    Member
    Registered: May 2002
    Location: Between dreams and shadows...
    If those save games were written by an old version of Thief, they will produce all the problems you describe if you try using them in a newer version. You can not safely load old savegames in the new engine, and preferably should start over from scratch (ideally with a completely new TG/TDP install + TFix)

  16. #166
    I started a new game with NewDark and HD Mod and got all the way to the Guild level before calling it quits with the HD Mod because of the poor framerates.

    All my saved games are with NewDark. After uninstalling the HD Mod, I was still on NewDark. My (what I call) 'corrupt' Guild saved game is on NewDark. My good 'Assassins' saved game that I'm working from now was on NewDark.

    If I come across any issues going forward, I may start from scratch like you say. I have a feeling all is well now, though.

  17. #167
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Ireland
    The HD Mod changes all of the missions. Saved games are only deltas for the missions they are save in.

    In other words, a savegame made with one .mis file probably won't be compatible if you take the .mis file it was based on away and replace it with a very different version.

  18. #168
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2008
    Location: http://thief-forum.pl/
    Any update?

  19. #169
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2013
    Looks like that with this speedpotion is something wrong, and rather should be fixed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipuj4d2s_b8

  20. #170
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2007
    Location: LosAngeles: Between Amusements
    That looks very much like a modeling error and not a texture issue. The bottom red insides is too close to the bottom outsides of the bottle would be my guess.

  21. #171
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Ireland
    The bottom poly on the "liquid" should be deleted. The base isn't transparent anyway.

  22. #172
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2008
    Location: http://thief-forum.pl/
    Nameless Voice, when do you plan to update your package?

  23. #173
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mixthoor View Post
    Nameless Voice, when do you plan to update your package?
    When will be ready 100% of this mod?

  24. #174
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2001
    Location: Formby, NW England
    It's not Mixthoor's decision (no disrespect to him of course).

  25. #175
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    It's not Mixthoor's decision (no disrespect to him of course).
    I know, and I knew that this mod is made by Nameless Voice, my previous question was dedicated to him.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •