TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

Level 10,000 achieved
    Sutherland has a cool voice but I'm going to need to hear him say "Metal Gear?!?" before I can judge if he fits the role as well as Hayter.

edit: @DavidBHayter says:

Ah well,
    Can't fault @RealKiefer
    Great actor, good man. The game will probably still be excellent.
    Like New Coke!

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    I'm not sure I'm up on a big-name celeb like Sutherland. The thing I like about the MGS series is that just about the entire voice cast has most of their resumes in video game and anime voice acting. Sutherland is a Hollywood actor.

I'll have to wait and see. Freddy Prinze Jr. turned in a surprisingly great performance in Mass Effect 3, so who knows.

Of course I have to drink the Metal Gear kool-aid one way or another, so regardless of how I personally feel about this I'm buying the game anyway.

I just hope that the Fulton recovery system makes a come-back. I don't care whether it's voiced by Patrick Stewart or Carrot Top.

Is that seriously the title?
    Will it turn out the villain's motivation is he lost his leg or something and now has phantom limb syndrome?

"I will abandon my course of global destruction, Snake, as soon as I can scratch my itchy big toe. CAN YOU DO THAT SNAKE!?! SCRATCH MY ITCHY BIG TOE?! CAN YOU?!?"

Actually, from the trailers it looks like Big Boss loses his arm. He replaces it with the robot arm that used to belong to the KGB agent in Peace Walker.

I'll change it to thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Actually, from the trailers it looks like Big Boss loses his arm. He replaces it with the robot arm that used to belong to the KGB agent in Peace Walker.
    Except that guy's right arm was prosthetic, while BB lost his left arm. It's still probably the same tech though, reverse-engineered at Mother Base or whatever.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I just hope that the Fulton recovery system makes a come-back. I don't care whether it's voiced by Patrick Stewart or Carrot Top.
    Third beverage spit today. TTLG is on so much form

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    Is that seriously the title?
    Will it turn out the villain's motivation is he lost his leg or something and now has phantom limb syndrome?
    First thing I thought when reading it was "phantom limb pain". Perhaps each chapter ends with Snake having his legs horribly mutilated by gunfire, helicopter blades, hammers etc.. and then the between chapters interlude is just FMV of a legless Snake, convulsing in his sleep in a convalescence home.

There's the literal sense, but there's the metaphorical sense too. Big Boss not only lost an arm, he also lost Mother Base, most of his organisation and 9 years. Certainly things to feel pain over.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsmoke View Post
    Without reposting a massive Facebook discussion analyzing this, I'll just call it now: this is bullshit. Sutherland is in, he'll be playing someone with Snake in their name, but Hayter was in no way "fired." This is a ruse, ala MGS2's trailers. I love it.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by van HellSing View Post
    Except that guy's right arm was prosthetic, while BB lost his left arm. It's still probably the same tech though, reverse-engineered at Mother Base or whatever.
    I see what you did there.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Holy shit, the gameplay here looks mighty impressive. Will hold out for a PC version.

Kiefer's delivery of the two lines spoken here sounded dead on. Stink that Cam Clarke isn't "back" as Master Miller though (yes, that was Liquid in disguise, but it was still an iconic performance).

There will be a 9 minute director's cut version of the trailer today. The game seems awesome, I really, really hope for a PC version.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Holy shit. That looks like Red Dead Redemption and Far Cry 3 and another whole bunch of my favourite games pancaked together in an amazing looking engine. Hopefully it'll retain the unique personality and cinematic flair of the MGS games as well.

Man, this may have just jumped to the top of my already-crowded "most anticipated" list. :U

edit: after GTA5 that is. And maybe Dark Souls 2. But it's up there!

Full trailer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=lQ8TZ4fRxFw

Somewhat graphic.

PC not listed at the end

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by van HellSing View Post
    PC not listed at the end
    A PC port of Metal Gear Rising wasn't announced until 3 months after the console releases.

Level 10,000 achieved

New gameplay videos

Honestly, the stealth looks a bit too easy, how does that guard at 4:00 not see him? Now that the gameplay no longer has horrendous controls making it harder, the devs would do well to make the stealth hard instead, to compensate. Pretty much everything else about this looks great though. Can't wait to play it.

Two more videos here

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Now that the gameplay no longer has horrendous controls making it harder
    It's really funny that this meme still gets any mileage.

Level 10,000 achieved
    If the meme you're refering to is "the truth", then yes, it still gets some mileage.

i've got your truth right here

Chakat sex pillow
    The controls have been fine ever since MGS4, henke. I'd argue that MGS3's controls were fine, too, but first person aiming's always been a PITA, and CQC was confusing until you read the manual.

Speaking of which, the complete manual is in the HD edition before you boot up the game, with all the moves clearly labelled and everything, as I recently found out. More patience next time, henke-san!

Recently having (re-)played MGS1-3 and started replaying MGS4, I'd definitely say that there's an improvement in the controls. Whether they're all listed in the manual or not, you can do the same and more with less interference from the control scheme in MGS4 than you could in MGS1. If the improvement in the controls is just a meme, it's one that I subscribe to: in terms of controls, MGS1<MGS2<MGS3<MGS4 IMO.

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast