TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

I'm surprised that no one's posted this. First screenshots of the PC version of Ground Zeroes, features list and system requirements.
    http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/art...pc-screenshots
    A massive upgrade over the PS4 version, clearly.

RE: The video, ignore all of the "consoles are outdated" ranting and focus on the analysis of PC port features.

Chakat sex pillow
    That 'dramatic' tessellation difference they note in the first minute is a small patch of rock in the distance with more specular highlights on it. Good job, team. The amount of hyperbole on a bunch of extra lights that make a dramatic difference in a single screenshot is ridiculous. Get the game in motion and then talk about it instead of vacillating on a single screenshot for 5 minutes, dumbass. He also needs to be reminded that Ground Zeroes is a cross-generation game, not something made for PS4/Xbone from the ground up, so feature-wise the next-gen versions are just prettier versions of something designed to work on older tech.

A better discussion would be the differences between Epic's UE4 showcases on the PC and PS4, because those actually are dramatic and make no concessions for the 360 or PS3.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 27th Nov 2014 at 23:58.

So I've been reading that Ground Zeroes has 30 minutes of gameplay for $20-40 (depending where and when you buy/bought it). I guess I'll be waiting for the PC GZ+PP GOTY bundle to go on sale in 2 years...

Level 10,000 achieved
    Well goooooood for you! You beat the system froghawk. BIG APPLAUSE! *does a slow clap and makes a really stupid face*

Anyway GZ is just 8 bucks in the current PS Store sale, and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND it at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Well goooooood for you! You beat the system froghawk.
    Dare I say, he played it like a damn fiddle.

GZ was overpried at the start, sure, but it's a fine piece of stealthy gameplay. Definitely more than 30 minutes of fun to have with this.

Was that entirely necessary? I wasn't intending to be obnoxious, so I apologize if it came across that way… anyway, good to know that what I read about it being an expensive demo was not true.

Chakat sex pillow
    Just people having a friendly jibe. The place has been missing a bit of that. Why don't you join in?

GZ does deserve a bit of a look-in, all said and done. It's definitely got more content than 30 minutes, by all accounts.

Fair enough It can be hard to tell the difference at times around here...

Alright, playing Ground Zeroes on PC right now

It's a hell of a good port. I'm below the minimum specs regarding the CPU and RAM, and it's running above 30fps, with all settings at high or equivalent at 1920 x 1080. KB/M control settings are a bit wonky right now, but I haven't played with the settings there yet, and they're customaisable as well.

Sure, I'm an MGS geek, but so far, I'm EXTATIC. Skip Ground Zeroes if you want, but go buy The Phantom Pain when it's out. Seriously.

EDIT: For reference: i3 @ 3.07 GHz, 4GB RAM (both CPU and memory under minimum), GTX 770 4GB
    Last edited by van HellSing; 18th Dec 2014 at 15:40.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Sept 15th release on Steam. Will wait for reviews, eg TotalBiscuit's assessment of the PC port.

Level 10,000 achieved
    ONE WEEK

is my favourite Barenaked Ladies song, but it's also the amount of time until MGS5 comes out! Who's excited? Who's getting it DAY ONE? I am. The reviews have started rolling in and unsurprisingly it appears that this game will be THE BEES KNEES. I'm trying not to read too much about it as to not spoil anything, but what I've seen and heard has pretty much all been exciting.

Also is anyone else getting it on PS4?

Even though I liked the *idea* if Ground Zeroes, it never really grabbed me; I'm sure I'll eventually get The Phantom Pain (not least since Fulton Recovery rules), but in the meantime I'll stick with Metroid Prime 2.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh I loved GZ. Replayed the main mission probably 6-7 times and replayed most of the extra missions too. They've nailed the gameplay, and I look forward to experiencing it in a much bigger world.

Whether you're interested in how the multiplayer works or not, you may at least want to check out this article about it. It was initially a click-baity "OMG Paywall to access online" piece, but they've gone back and edited it to something reasonable with actual information (including the online being accessible without paying additional money).

But since the servers aren't available, it would be fair to assume that anyone reviewing the online part is either lying or has access to a developer server somehow. At least until launch.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Oh I loved GZ. Replayed the main mission probably 6-7 times and replayed most of the extra missions too. They've nailed the gameplay, and I look forward to experiencing it in a much bigger world.
    Who knows, perhaps MGS5 will turn out to be a similar case with me as Thief was. My first taste of the latter was the "Life of the Party" demo, which I bounced off of several times, but I also kept coming back to it. The third or fourth time it clicked, I ordered the first two games, and they're very high up in my list of favourite games now. (Operation Flashpoint was another such game.)

Level 10,000 achieved
    MGS5 PRE-ORDERED! WOOP WOOP

Man, I feel bad for Avalanche releasing Mad Max on the same day as well. I might've bought that if I weren't gonna have my hands full with MGS5, as I suspect a lot of people might've.

Chakat sex pillow
    I'm gonna get it when I get my new goddamn GPU, which will be sometime soon I hope. It feels wrong, though -- it's MGS, and the release of a new MGS has always coincided with my purchase of a Playstation, because MGS as a platform exclusive has been the only thing I needed to justify my purchase of a console. I guess I'm continuing that tradition on in a way; I do need a GTX 970 in my life, and what better way to pop the cork on it than the latest, greatest, and most probably last* MGS that Kojima ever makes?

*Really really, fo' sho' and stuff this time, right? Kojima? KOOOOOOJIIIIIIIIIIMMAAAAAAAAA!!!!

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Oh dear!

Last edited by EvaUnit02; 25th Aug 2015 at 23:17.

Chakat sex pillow
    Good god he's annoying. He has a point, but until the game's out and he can do his own review, this remains a rant based on speculation and conjecture, and thus is as useful as - like Malcolm Tucker would put it - a marzipan dildo.

The day arrived.

V has come to guys.

It seems it's amazing.
    Last edited by 242; 1st Sep 2015 at 10:54.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Indeed!

I had 20-30 minutes to play/watch the opening bits before family and well-wishers showed up to wish me happy birthday and keep me from playing any more. Those bastards! Anyway, those first 20minutes were pretty swell! Will get back to it tomorrow.

Thing What Kicks
    It's way past my bedtime on a school night, but DAMN, this game is awesome.
    Why must I work tomorrow?

It's a pity Kojima won't make Silent Hills, the prologue is excellent horror game, very graphic and dark. And the cutscenes are finally about showing things, not the constant babble as form of exposition (you got that on tapes). Big Boss is awfully quiet now, it works great.

The first thing you're greeted with in this game is literally oversized bouncing boobs, followed by (in traditional Metal Gear fashion) an hour's worth of cutscenes showing you a man's ass crack in close up. Gotta love those Japanese. At least the cutscenes are semi interactive this time around and serve as a tutorial, but still I thought it would never end. 82 minutes in and I finally have full control of my character (I think, I hope). Also first ever product placement in a video game? Do they have to put the name of the product on screen? That seems like a step too far. Otherwise the game runs smooth as butter/looks great. Pretty much the same as Ground Zeroes, only with more bullshit and less gameplay. That game did a better job of explaining its control schemes without a tutorial than this one does with an 80-minute-long one.

Now should I get a refund for this impulse purchase or not? I haven't spent 60 euros on a game in forever. It just seems like such an outrageous price these days. And I'm not exactly wowed by what I've played. I mean it's essentially that one trailer from 5 years ago...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast