TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Manwe View Post
    The first thing you're greeted with in this game is literally oversized bouncing boobs, followed by (in traditional Metal Gear fashion) an hour's worth of cutscenes showing you a man's ass crack in close up. Gotta love those Japanese. At least the cutscenes are semi interactive this time around and serve as a tutorial, but still I thought it would never end. 82 minutes in and I finally have full control of my character (I think, I hope). Also first ever product placement in a video game? Do they have to put the name of the product on screen? That seems like a step too far. Otherwise the game runs smooth as butter/looks great. Pretty much the same as Ground Zeroes, only with more bullshit and less gameplay. That game did a better job of explaining its control schemes without a tutorial than this one does with an 80-minute-long one.

Now should I get a refund for this impulse purchase or not? I haven't spent 60 euros on a game in forever. It just seems like such an outrageous price these days. And I'm not exactly wowed by what I've played. I mean it's essentially that one trailer from 5 years ago...
    First product placement? No. Not even in a stealth game -- that honour goes to Splinter Cell 3 and Airwaves gum, apart from other things. Still, it's The Best Splinter Cell, so a couple of seconds of blatant cringe really doesn't matter in the bigger picture.

MGS games generally have meaty gameplay to go along with the cutscenes, so if it's sunk its hooks into you by now, there's a fair chance you'll like the rest of the game. The quantity and length of cutscenes have always been the most criticised element of MGS, though it's never personally bothered me because they're usually a benchmark for what's possible with the current state of realtime in-engine cinematics, so if that bothers you, it's probably not the franchise for you. I hear there's less of them after you're done with MGS V's opening though - that's for the others playing to confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    I hear there's less of them after you're done with MGS V's opening though - that's for the others playing to confirm.
    Yes.

But I spent like 3 hours acquainting myself with tons of icons, numbers and functions in the iDroid. The screens of iDroid look like they're from some strategy game. And another hour I spent listening to the audio tapes that were available, they were interesting though and let me remember some old happenings.

BTW, does anyone know who performs "Behind the Drapery"? I found the cassette in the first village of the first mission:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix6BJTSjAB4

Or is it composed specially for the game? More likely it's some licensed song.

PS: LOL
    Last edited by 242; 2nd Sep 2015 at 11:19.

Thing What Kicks
    That happened to me at Mother Base, although it hit Snake. DOH.

Okay, okay, thread. You've convinced me. I'll play some more Ground Zeroes and I'll finish Metroid Prime 2, but I've already bought and downloaded The Phantom Pain. And it's all your fault.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I know, I know, I was going to hold off on MGS5 until after SOMA and Super Mario Maker were out, but this sounds like a must git. ASAP.

Thing What Kicks
    Seriously, when it says open-world stealth sandbox, it ain't lying. And the real beauty (aside from the glorious Fulton), is that when things start to go wrong because I get spotted, I don't feel compelled to immediately restart from a checkpoint like other stealth games. This gives you enough toys to keep things interesting, and getting spotted needn't be an immediate fail.

But man, that Fulton.
    It's the little things, like a soldier's cap falling to the ground as he gets yanked away with a scream, or the plaintive bleats of unwilling rocket sheep, or the departing dopplering howl of a suspended wolf, or the last minute desperate lunges of an airborne bear.
    It really is as fun as it looked in preview media.

Moderator and Priest
    Anyone want to gift this to me free of charge? I'm not above selling my dignity.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'm at the point where the game is starting to open up. 3 hours in, at start of Episode 3, you're given a choice of 3 different missions in the open world and told to go nuts. There's quite a few secondary objectives as well. Apparently I only did 2 of the 6 objectives on the first mission. The open world bits with the riding and sneaking and fighting is good stuff, but just like earlier games the cutscenes drag on for too long. We did not need quite that many scenes establishing what unstoppable badasses the villains are. 1 or 2 would've been enough, but there are like 4 of them, and pretty soon it goes from "whoa" to "yes yes can we be done with this already so I can get to actually play the game?". I suppose I could just skip them, but I don't wanna miss any story either. Anyway, hopefully there'll be less cutscenes from now on.

From The Venom of a Snake:
    Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    ... or the plaintive bleats of unwilling rocket sheep,
    or the departing dopplering howl of a suspended wolf,
    or the last minute desperate lunges of an airborne bear...
    Ted Hughes has nothing on you, mate.

Thing What Kicks
    I've been playing around with calling in support packages, and knocking Snake or D-Horse out definitely appears to be a deliberate design decision. When the map appears to designate a landing point, the cursor defaults to your location, so if you click through and don't move after leaving the iDroid, you will get clonked in the noggin.
    And if you call in the support package while mounted, then get off of D-Horse, D-Horse will get hit instead.

Of course, now I think about it, I'm going to see if I can knock out a bear with a support package.

Can you *ride* a bear, prompting the "Is that you, Vladimir?" achievement?

Talking about bears, I spent about 10 tranq. cartridges to knock it out, and one time in the process it killed me.

Thing What Kicks
    EXACTLY the same happened to me!

Southquarter.com/fms
    I've heard conflicting things about the online component - do you need to be online to play even single player? Heard there were some server issues that were slowing things down too. Anyone had any problems yet?

Had to roll my eyes a bit when I heard the game had micro transactions and mid-game credits sequences.

the only phantom pain I feel is lack of specs to actually play the game

bam!

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    I've heard conflicting things about the online component - do you need to be online to play even single player?

No. MGO is separate component.

Had to roll my eyes a bit when I heard the game had micro transactions and mid-game credits sequences.
    Hmm... 80 dollars for a bunch of bullshit currency? Seems to me there comes a price point where you have to stop calling it microtransactions. Macrotransactions, more like.

Or stop buying in game content? :O

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Level 10,000 achieved
    Haven't run into any microtransactions yet, but the credits are indeed eye-roll-worthy. They play at the start and end of every single episode. Every mission, in other words. As if dragging the opening credits out over the first hour of the game wasn't enough.

How do the cut scenes in MGS5 compare in length to, say, MGS3 and MGS4? About a year ago I thought I'd replay the latter, having played all the games from MGS1 just before and thinking I'd now have more of a chance to get what was going on - but I quickly gave up, because the cutscene/gameplay ratio was just so off.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Well the first hour or two is mostly cutscenes mixed with some very light gameplay. But after that it does indeed get a lot better. I've played for several hours now without seeing a cutscene.

Thing What Kicks
    Yeah, the meat of the game for me seems to be jaunting about the open world doing side ops and other miscellaneous fun stuff. There, you are never interrupted by cut scenes or credit rolls.

Last night I called in a support package on a guy manning a machine gun emplacement, but unfortunately it didn't knock him out (he didn't even flinch). So I suspect my plan to knock out a bear with one might fail. Still, it's fun pushing to see just how far the systems have been developed.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Haven't run into any microtransactions yet,
    The Forward Operating Base (ie the online base where the game's Dark Souls-style invasions can occur) is what the micro-transactions are tied to, I've read. If you want multiple FOBs you have to pay for them with IRL money.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 4th Sep 2015 at 13:19.

Tips & Tricks:

I know, I know, I was going to hold off on MGS5 until after SOMA and Super Mario Maker were out, but this sounds like a must git. ASAP.
    Ya know...however much I want it, I know better. I REALLY want to play this but with 20 damn credit hours at a graduate level, extracurricular obligations, and an extremely networking and travel intensive recruiting process I'm more than tapped as it is. I'm lucky if I get to play even a round or two of Heroes of the Storm during the week.

I figure I can save a few bucks if I wait till the inevitable 15% Steam sale.
    Last edited by Tony_Tarantula; 4th Sep 2015 at 17:00.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast