TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

Level 10,000 achieved
    17% completed, just got the upgrade that lets me Fulton vehicles and containers. Still don't have the D-Doggy tho. Wonder when the little fella's gonna show up.

Level 10,000 achieved
    This is how I've been enjoying MGSV this weekend.

Thing What Kicks
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    17% completed, just got the upgrade that lets me Fulton vehicles and containers. Still don't have the D-Doggy tho. Wonder when the little fella's gonna show up.
    Do you mean that you haven't had the puppy encounter yet or that you have, but that DD's not old enough yet to come on missions with you?
    If it's the first, I encountered him really early on. I'd just dropped out of the helicopter at night and heard a yapping, a puppy came running up to me and I extracted him.
    Maybe go back and try some of the earlier missions again, see if he pops up.

My DD is awesome and my bestest bud. I played with booblady for a while to level her up, but at the end of the day, I found DD to be a much more reliable companion.
    Where you have to specifically tell Quiet to scout areas, DD reveals everything around you as you go with a light woof for each target. And Quiet doesn't necessarily pick up all surrounding enemies. That and her incessant humming is annoying as fuck, quite ironic given her name.
    DD is also now equipped with his own sneaking suit with built in stun baton. He pounces on enemies, there's a massive electrical discharge, they fall to the ground stunned and DD then does a victory howl.

Oh, and I've changed his appearance so he looks like a fox.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah, never found the puppy. Will replay some earlier missions and keep an eye out!

I actually figured I had to extract mommy and daddy wolves and that's how you'd end up with a puppy. Was confused that one never showed up.

Although I don't have the animal conservatory either, though all my soliders keep talking about it. Been all over mother base but not seen it yet. Behind a door in Medical I did discover a really dumb plottwist though.

Thing What Kicks
    Yeah, that's not exactly intuitive to find.
    You actually do have it, but it's a separate location. When in the helicopter choosing where to go to next, switch to the motherbase map, then press Y/Triangle to switch to the conservation platform.

Extra unrelated tip: I notice that a lot of people are wearing the sneaking suit all the time, but I've found that outside of FOB missions, it's actually not the optimal camo choice. Enemies spot you very easily if you're trying to sneak through savannah / desert / jungle in a big ol' fetish suit.
    I have played with lots of the camos and found that the leopard print seems to offer good camouflage in the widest number of scenarios.

That and my helicopter is set to play ZZTop's Sharp Dressed Man on arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    Extra unrelated tip: I notice that a lot of people are wearing the sneaking suit all the time, but I've found that outside of FOB missions, it's actually not the optimal camo choice. Enemies spot you very easily if you're trying to sneak through savannah / desert / jungle in a big ol' fetish suit.
    I have played with lots of the camos and found that the leopard print seems to offer good camouflage in the widest number of scenarios.
    How about sound? I've read that while the sneaking suit is spotted more easily, other camo doesn't muffle sound (as much), so enemy soldiers hear you more quickly.

Thing What Kicks
    To be honest, the difference is negligible when it comes to sound, and using a pad means I can automatically adjust to silent speed when creeping up behind dudes. But at this point, I'm now at the stage where I'm pretty confident in how the stealth systems work, and DD allows me to approach any goal from any angle I wish without being surprised. Combined with the night vision goggles (which are WELL worth upgrading), I'm constantly aware of enemy movements.

Cool, will consider that on my next sortie.

Also, do you guys have any tips with respect to developing Mother Base? Is there a preferred sequence in which to add platforms?

The main point of using sneaking suit is at night, because it makes you hidden from NVGs. And, at some point, most enemy soldiers will be using those.

Thing What Kicks
    I think it's the Support Platform that increases rate of material acquisition, so that's a priority, but without guys to populate platforms, you'll be developing less quickly all round. So the Command Centre, which gives a universal boost to the number of guys each platform can hold is also important. And of course, without R&D, you'll be getting new toys at a much reduced rate, soooo:

1: Command Centre
    2: Support Platform
    3: R&D

But then things get interesting once you unlock the ability to create forward operating bases, and resources all of a sudden become a priority, as well as guys as you'll unlock the Security Team. As there's no unique stat related to Security, people don't seem to get automatically assigned to it, and as certain R&D projects rely on Security, you're going to start hoovering up every guy you come across, regardless of stats.

And I'm hoping there's going to be some boost to resource rate acquisition at some point, as fuel becomes a massive problem. It's the only resource that is shared amongst all platform development, but you get it at the same rate as everything else. I'm beginning to suspect that this is Konami's dirty little way of forcing you to grind and keep you playing online (FOBs only work when you're connected), and therefore exposing you to the monetisation that is MB coins.

See, the more FOBs you have, the more teams you can send out on missions, the faster you'll develop things, and better stuff will get unlocked quicker. If you don't play while connected, your FOB development is stalled, and there are hard limits on what level each of your respective teams can reach.

This may not be the case if a significant amount of my forces are S ranked, but I've only had a few of these guys so far. As some of the R&D stuff requires teams be at levels in the fifties, it currently seems it's quicker to get to that stage by having more FOBs and hence more guys.
    Last edited by Malf; 14th Sep 2015 at 05:02.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah the enemy has been adding a lot of new tools to their arsenal lately in my game. Decoys, flares and NVG have all been introduced recently. I suspect it's because at one point I loaded up with all my biggest guns and went on a killing rampage through a few of their outposts. They've been kinda on edge ever since.

Thing What Kicks
    Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    The main point of using sneaking suit is at night, because it makes you hidden from NVGs. And, at some point, most enemy soldiers will be using those.
    The foot note says that the Sneaking Suit behaves this way in FOBs, and there's no mention of it in general use.
    And I have recently tried the Sneaking Suit again to see what the money I've spent on developing it has been going towards, and I noticed almost immediately that all guys in the open world, NVGs or not, seemed to spot me easier.

and I noticed almost immediately that all guys in the open world, NVGs or not, seemed to spot me easier.
    Yes. SS muffles the steps but is more easy to spot than usual camouflage. In my experience at least. So I reverted to camouflage, pity it's not possible to change wearing on the fly to adapt to different type of soil etc.
    Last edited by 242; 14th Sep 2015 at 06:00.

Thing What Kicks
    Quote Originally Posted by 242 View Post
    Yes. SS muffles the steps but is more easy to spot than usual camouflage. In my experience at least. So I reverted to camouflage, pity it's not possible to change wearing on the fly to adapt to different type of soil etc.
    I believe you can, but you have to request it via supply drop, which is a tad expensive for just a change of clothes.

I believe you can, but you have to request it via supply drop, which is a tad expensive for just a change of clothes.
    That's not exactly "on the fly", time consuming and tedious.

Thing What Kicks
    By the way, I've been fultoning hardware like crazy; mortars, machineguns, AA guns, jeeps, trucks, APCs, tanks, hell, I'd even fulton helicopters if I could (I did manage to kill an active one with C4 at the weekend, so yay me).

If anyone's at my level of completion or above (~45% completion, mission ~25), do they get used for anything other than decoration, or should I be selling them?

I drove a jeep into an AA gun on Motherbase last night by accident, and even though it wasn't at high speed, the AA gun exploded, shortly followed by the jeep, Snake was thrown from the explosion with a critical injury and a pall of greasy black smoke rose above the platform.

Actually, going back to that helicopter thing, I've just remembered that one of the upgrades for D-Walker is a fulton-throwing cannon device. Sure, it limits the grade you can get in-mission to A or lower, but there ain't no grades in open world...

My favourite/worst moment so far (and I've played way less than any of you): I was running for the helicopter that had come to pick me up, but a lone soldier doing rounds in a jeep got out and started shooting at him. As soon as it did so, I St. Sebastianed him with tranq darts, so he didn't get off more than four or five shots - and he had a B in Research, so I ran to pick him up... and as I was only 3-4 metres away from his unconscious body, the chopper opened up on him, turning him into so much Soviet mush.

At least it wasn't counted as a kill on my part.

For those of you who are further along: are there any Fulton weapons later in the game? In Peace Walker you could research Fulton mines, launchers etc.

Thing What Kicks
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    For those of you who are further along: are there any Fulton weapons later in the game? In Peace Walker you could research Fulton mines, launchers etc.
    See my last paragraph above

As for deaths, I've not personally killed anyone in game (apart from a couple of tanks and helicopters).
    But I wish soldiers who throw grenades would pay a little more attention to where the unconscious bodies of their buddies are lying!

Oh, and there was that one time I was doing one of the shooting gallery challenges on mother base using my assault rifle that fires rubber rounds.
    I got carried away at the top of the Intel platform one, popped a masochistic goon in the head (they do love to be abused, don't they?), he became stunned, stumbled into the guard rail, toppled over and fell ~40 feet to his doom.
    Game over.

See my last paragraph above
    Oops. Shame it's only with one particular buddy, though. I would've loved to give Quiet a Fulton sniper rifle and seeing soldiers in the distance vanishing into the sky.

... popped a masochistic goon in the head (they do love to be abused, don't they?)
    Their masochism makes Snake's sneaking suit appear even more like the fetish gear it is.

Thing What Kicks
    Just a word of warning; there's an event that occurs upon completing mission 25 that can be a right pain in the ass if you have lots of guys in your army. I had over 1,000 when it kicked in, and I had to spend ages sifting through goon records. I'm still not sure I caught every occurrence.
    And there is no way to filter your goons once you know what you're looking for. You have to locate each and every one in the lists by eye.
    So, be warned that if you want to push base and technology development above mission progression, you WILL have lots of guys, and you WILL have to spend time sifting.

I can't help but think this is a design flaw not taking into account that players could have very large armies by the time this happens.

Spoilers for those who want to try and avoid it, or at the very least minimise it:

You get a notification that some of your guys have started exhibiting symptoms of the disease you came across in the Devil's House. You'll automatically get a quarantine platform, and 10 guys who are definitely showing symptoms will be automatically moved there. Basically, you need to find what links all of the guys in quarantine, but to cut it short, it's language, and more specifically, Kikongo. Now my symptomatic guys all shared three languages, Russian, English & Kikongo, so I initially thought I'd have to search for goons with that specific combination. But apparently it's only one language.
    There have been reports online that the affected language can be different on a per-player basis, but I've not seen any concrete evidence or first-hand claims that any language other than Kikongo is affected.
    So yeah, if you want to be pro-active and minimise the work you'll have to do when it happens, get rid of all those speakers of Kikongo that you can afford to lose.
    I now have over 400 goons in quarantine

I'm just pissed that they don't allow you to filter by that specific thing once you've identified it.

Thanks a lot for the warning! It does sound like a massive pain (and not one of the phantom sort), so it's good to know beforehand. I've been doing the main missions as slowly as possible, but I might now speed up my progress somewhat.

Yesterday before going to bed I started mission 6; I got to the bit just after you extract the prisoner when my wife wanted to go to bed, and since my gaming PC is in our bedroom I stopped there, not knowing if I'd have to replay all of what came before. Imagine how glad I was when I quickly started it this morning before going to work and found that I could pretty much pick up where I'd left off... I'm still not entirely sure when it saves and what exactly it saves.

Level 10,000 achieved
    In a game where you can do so much, I almost feel bad wanting more, but you know what I'd like to be able to do? Shootdodge!

I mean you can almost do it already.

If only you could start aiming while diving, and Reflex-mode would kick in if you're in front of a baddie. It would be so cool! If someone figures out how to mod that into the PC version I might have to buy this on PC as well.

Payne? Payne! PAAAAAAAYNE!

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    'm still not entirely sure when it saves and what exactly it saves.
    When there is a yellow circle in the upper right corner when you cross some invisible borders or points on the map, unless you haven't just done some actions using iDroid after which it ususlly saves too, but saves only inventory/resources/personnel/etc. changes.
    Last edited by 242; 15th Sep 2015 at 10:56.

I never had any problems with MGSs' plots in all their glorious ridiculousness, but when Skullface reveals his plans... That was a new low for me. All that during a boring jeep ride cutscene.
    Last edited by Judith; 16th Sep 2015 at 04:36.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast