TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

Level 10,000 achieved
    Found the puppy!

And it only took me until 30% Completed to do it. it was after a side op where you extract a highly skilled soldier. I was just riding through the countryside northwest of Da Wialo village and I found him. Actually would've rode right past him unless Kaz had started talking about a dog on the coms.

Thing What Kicks
    Yay!
    Wonder how quickly he'll grow up for you now then?
    He's my favourite buddy by far, although D-Walker can be interesting with all its configurations and loadouts.
    I'm just kind of addicted to the victory howl DD makes if he takes out the last guy in an outpost
    The only problem with DD is that I can guarantee that you WILL accidentally shoot him, kick him or blow him up at some point.
    And sometimes he won't disengage when you want him to, which can result in him getting eventually extracted, costing you heroism and GMP.

Regarding my earlier warning, I can confirm that there is nothing random about the infection and that it is always Kikongo. Quarantine all Kikongo speakers as soo as you get the warning, and DO NOT do any Side Ops. Push through the story instead, as this will cure the infection quickly.

I had the sound off (due to watching this at work) and don't fully understand what needs to be done to replicate this, but I love the video nevertheless:

Thing What Kicks
    Okay, this happened last night:

Had me squeeing; such an awesome little touch!

Level 10,000 achieved
    After 3 weeks of playing this I've had my fill. Gotta take some time out, play some Dark Souls 2, or maybe SOMA, and come back to it later. But I can say right now that MGSV will be my GOTY, unless Fallout 4 turns out to be amazing.

I'm still greatly enjoying Phantom Pain, but I expect I'll take a break from it at some point. My problem isn't so much the game as the fact that even in games where I'm given a sandbox and lots of toys, I tend to default to a small handful of approaches that I keep coming back to. I have to force myself to change things up, and even then I will gravitate back to what I usually do. As such, I appreciate the freedom such games provide, but it's not something I make much use of myself.

Thing What Kicks
    I'm usually the same Thirith, but this has seen me willing to experiment more than usual thanks to the upgrade tree and weapon customisation.
    Granted, most of my time I'll spend with an entirely non-lethal load-out (the only lethal weapon is in my load-out for doing the tank Side Ops, as late game ones inevitably come with gunships, so a rocket launcher's essential), but even here things have enough wiggle room to be more interesting than usual.

And I have done the occasional mission with a lethal load-out for expediency's sake, or simply to blow off steam. When I first unlocked the Hail, I had a glorious rampage through one of the missions blowing goons sky-high. And I was delighted to discover exactly how much of the scenery is destructible.

Myself, I think I'm nearing the end of the story, and I've actually quite enjoyed the narrative so far; yes, even Skull Face's campy, megalomaniacal plotting. But the second chapter does feel somewhat rushed.
    There's a lot of padding with lots of later missions simply being earlier ones with added victory conditions. To be honest, I think it would have done a lot for progression and consistency if these missions had been placed immediately after their normal mode ones in the listings. As it stands, you can't help but get the feeling that the last half is under-developed and rushed. When playing a mission, it doesn't actually feel that way, but when one step removed, doubts are raised.

But in a year when I was certain that Witcher 3 was going to be my GOTY (I was halfway through a third play-through when MGSV came out), this has been an awesome and delightful surprise. Cohesiveness of narrative aside, moment-to-moment gameplay is incredibly compelling and varied, and consistently reveals new ways to play.

If it is to be the last game in the series, it's one hell of a way to bow out.

Hmm, you have to re-play previous missions on sort of higher difficulty levels to make progress in the campaign. These aren't bad per se, e.g. Subsistence Mode and onsite procurement forced me to change tactics in a meaningful way. Still, feels a bit cheap, that should be in side-ops.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

No plans for Metal Gear Solid 5 story DLC, says Konami
    http://www.polygon.com/2015/9/23/938...lc-says-konami
    Well this puts that issue to bed. HORSE ARMOUR HOORAY! 1111

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I'm still greatly enjoying Phantom Pain, but I expect I'll take a break from it at some point.

Yep, 60+ hrs in and I only finished the 14th mission and like 20% of the side missions. The game is great and it still surprises and constantly adds lots of new weapons, gadgets and upgrades to play with (the arsenal is really enormous even for MGS series), but I feel that I'll probably have to take a small break anyway. The game is too huge, especially if played thoroughly.

I also love the music cassettes in this game. The selection is great, both licensed tracks and composed for the game.

The story keeps me interested too and I like all those supernatural characters and mysterious events. I also like how big parts of the story now is conveyed via tapes which you may listen whenever you like, and so it doesn't distract from the gameplay.

Another thing, I think that D-Dog is a cheat.
    Last edited by 242; 23rd Sep 2015 at 20:58.

Thing What Kicks
    I'm almost, almost done now. In fact, I think I've done the last story mission.
    It's a little annoying that there are some missions where if you want to get an S-rank, you're pretty much limited to lethal measures (Extreme Metallic Archaea, I'm looking at you), and there is a LOT of padding in the second half, but DAT TWIST.
    Maaaaan, there's only one other guy in my office playing it, and he's not playing as much as me and I need to talk about it in a "Wasn't that cool?!" kinda way AND I CAN'T.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by 242 View Post
    I also love the music cassettes in this game. The selection is great, both licensed tracks and composed for the game.
    OT, but I'm amazed that no game has seen fit to integrate things like Spotify into the games where you have music playing (like the GTA games for example). I'd love to be able to make playlists for games without having to go to the trouble of downloading/ripping mp3s and arranging them into folders.

One song that I'm missing in the licensed part is 99 Luftballons. I mean, how obvious is it? :P

That would've been absolutely perfect - the only correct tune for an evening of Fulton recoveries.

So many ways

PERFECT STEALTH! 32k bonus points
    Last edited by 242; 24th Sep 2015 at 15:32.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh my god.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Missions 28 and 29 sure were tough. 29 is the bossfight against a bunch of Skulls. I tried doing it with a rocketlauncher, grenade launcher, and Uzi, with Quiet backing me up with the basic sniper rifle at first, but the best I managed was to kill 1 or 2 of the skulls before all my ammo was gone and I was dead. After a while I restarted it and brought a D-Walker with a gatling gun with me, and it was so easy it almost felt like cheating.

You can always use aerial bombardment

Thing What Kicks
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    29 is the bossfight against a bunch of Skulls.
    That's Metallic Archaea isn't it?
    I think first time round I used the anti-aircraft cannon outside the main airport building.
    Second time around, I'd researched Quiet's most powerful rifle and ran around while she took the shots.

Third time around will be... interesting.
    At least I have the S-Ranks now, so I can fall back on some of the items that restrict rankings to A and below.

Well, it's nice to hear Major Zero's voice after 10 years.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Beat the game today!

Well ok, beat Chapter 1 I guess. I liked that last bossfight. And I liked Skull Face's speech during the ride. I've seen people writing off the story in this game as "bad", but it's not bad really. I mean it's not great either. It's goodbad! As goodbad as the story in all the other MGS games.

It's goddamn awful, and Skullface is an idiot. It gets really bad when he finishes his speech, long before they reach the destination, and they both just sit there silently doing nothing, while a pompous music is playing.

Still, the 'real' ending is pretty cool. Nothing ground-breaking, but nice. Very convenient, in terms of the story in first two Metal Gears, and awfully nostalgic as well. Part of the final speech is Kojima's 'thank you' for fans' long-time dedication to the series. I only wish it was shorter, I neded over 100 hours to get there and I have only like 50% of the stuff done.

120+ hrs in and still have finished only 24 missions and 50% of the side ops. And that's without accomplishing hidden mission tasks, or attempts to get Ss. BTW, my average rating is B I think.

PS: Oh yeah, and I've just found a cassette with The Final Countdown. Arriving of the helicopter has become 5 times more epic (I used Ride Of The Valkyries before)
    Last edited by 242; 4th Oct 2015 at 20:57.

Thing What Kicks
    I used ZZ Top's "Sharp Dressed Man" for a while, then switched to Blondie's "Atomic".
    Currently, I have nothing as I uploaded an Extreme No Traces and didn't want to get hit by the copyright bot, but I think some Van Halen might be in order; maybe "Jump"
    I'm at the stage now where I'm mopping up objectives and a couple of stray S ranks, but I've become somewhat addicted to FOB invasion. I'm not great at them, and I've already encountered someone who was blatantly cheating, but it's great fun when you find a poorly defended one and nick all their stuff

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast