TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by 242 View Post
    Oh yeah, and I've just found a cassette with The Final Countdown. Arriving of the helicopter has become 5 times more epic (I used Ride Of The Valkyries before)
    I just found that one yesterday as well.

But I'm still using, as I have been for most of the game, 204863 as my Helicopter music. I only found out just now, when I was searching for it on youtube, that apparently it's from P.T.

I wonder how many figured out (without external help) what needs to be done to prevent spread of the desease on the MB? I figured it out but only when I was told that I didn't need to search the base or something like that, and the key was iDroid. Gosh, going with the toothcomb through the list of 700 persons was original but not exactly fun, and I even wasn't sure if my guess was right!, Kojima loves such things. Also, it wasn't clear what I was supposed to do after that, because my comrades kept dying.

BTW, missions like Voices or Code Talker are incredible, almost finished the latter.
    Last edited by 242; 5th Oct 2015 at 20:19.

Thing What Kicks
    BTW, missions like Voices or Code Talker are incredible, almost finished the latter.
    Speaking of the mission "Code Talker", here it is in Extreme mode with No Traces.
    I have since done it faster, as the route I take means I can pretty much run the entire mid-section. The video was recorded when I still wasn't sure about the Skulls' aggro range.
    Spoilers, natch.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I wonder how many figured out (without external help) what needs to be done to prevent spread of the desease on the MB?
    I'm still not sure I got it right. I quarantined all the soldiers who spoke more than 4 languages, since that was a unifying factor in all the first ones infected, and it clearly had something to do with languages. So I ended up putting more than half of my soldiers in quarantine. Kaz told me the spread of the disease had been hampered significantly once I was done so I took that as a queue that I'd done the right thing. But in retrospect I think perhaps I should've only quarantined soldiers who spoke a certain language?

You're right, henke:
    spoiler:
    it's just one language, namely Kikongo. I spent a fun half hour yesterday going through all my staff and quarantining all those Kikongo speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I'm still not sure I got it right. I quarantined all the soldiers who spoke more than 4 languages, since that was a unifying factor
    AFAIR there were one or two who spoke only 2 or 3.

Also I wonder what if I delayed missions 26, 27, 28 for too long? ALL kikingo speakers could die, except those sent to quarantine? If the quarantined could die too, I don't see any sense of such quarantine.

AFAIR, they always speak Kikongo and some other languages. Eventually, they will die under quarantine (without Code Talker's cure), but if you let them roam the base, they will infect other people as well. Not sure what was the explanation, since the parasite was to target only a population speaking a certain language.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    but if you let them roam the base, they will infect other people as well.
    How do you know that? Someone who didn't speak Kikingo died from the desease?

I briefly got excited for MGS Online, thinking that it'd be possible to play through the missions in coop mode, as in Peace Walker, but then I found out I was wrong. Shame that won't happen, because it'd be great to coop those missions.

New patch. The most changes are for FOB missions, which I'm not interested in, but there is also new 7th tier for weapon upgrade as well as some new weapons.
    Last edited by 242; 6th Oct 2015 at 09:19.

How do you know that? Someone who didn't speak Kikingo died from the desease?
    I think so, it was quite some time ago. As Code Talker says later, the Kikongo language is just a trigger to release the parasite. The symptoms are similar to having cold, i.e. sneezing, and it transmits like one, so the disease could be spreading to other soldiers in mother base.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Well this looks generic as fuck.

Not more generic than every year's CoDs and BFs I became so tired of. And he sure knows how to make MGO like 'other multiplayer games', which is kinda pointless to me.

Not that I'm denying that MGO was always a broken mess at launch sure it was. Hopefully they introduce some fixes for the January 2016 PC Mustard Rays Edition.

This one looks pretty decent to me, although it is the official Konami gameplay demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDNOesE9do8

I dunno - knocking people out and Fultoning their asses out of there, and the entire stealth element, those don't seem to be particularly common in multiplayer games. (Haven't seen that particular video, just talking about the general info and other videos I've seen.)

Anyway, yesterday I spent about two hours trying to get Code Talker out of the mission area the way I'd gone in and failing miserably... until I realised that I could just try heading in the other direction, which proved much, much easier. And boy, I do hope that the next mission will take care of the
    spoiler:
    epidemic
    and I can go back to Fultoning to my heart's content.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah Code Talker's extraction and the mission after it were the hardest parts of Chapter 1, for me.

Played the first subsistence mission last weekend. Being stripped of my precious silenced weapons and Reflex mode really forced me to play in a whole new way, and was a fun challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Yeah Code Talker's extraction and the mission after it were the hardest parts of Chapter 1, for me.
    Code Talker could be, but Metallic Archaea? It's very easy and quick, at least with the Gattling Walker Gear. When I read a thread about the mission on some other forum I was surprised no one suggested it, like everyone just forgot about the buddy. Guttling gun is exceptionally effective against those enemies.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yes, it was very easy and quick once I finally thought to use the Gattling Walker Gear on my 20th retry of that mission. I'd kinda forgotten I had that thing.

I think it's that most missions can be reasonably expected to be beaten using a variety of different approaches, so whatever you choose to begin with (gear and buddy), you stick to those and work at it. And then there are missions where you're practically screwed unless you use one particular buddy and/or specific weapons or weapon types. Because of the former type of missions that encourage experimentation, which are the vast majority, at least I didn't feel prepared for the latter type.

Although in most missions experiments are welcome, some tricks work much better than others. E.g. extracting wandering mother base soldiers is ridiculously easy when you just put the cardboard box on and approach them from the front. That refreshes their memory somehow and they salute you, waiting to be fultoned .

Level 10,000 achieved
    Hah, I never tried that.

My approach to capturing the wandering soldiers was to run them down with my horse, which would knock them out. 25% of the time they did end up dying though, but the other 75% of the time it was a pretty good tactic.

For more funsies, try using the 'Afghan lullaby' tape near enemy soldiers (you need to turn the external speaker on). Or play the soldier with stomach problems, when enemy is searching for you

My way of dealing with the wandering soldiers is trivial: ddog + tranq. sniper rifle.

Talking about various ways of dealing with missions, I tend to drag a pile of equipment I barely use, just in case. F.e. EM mine (which I used only once, and only just to see how it worked), or phantom cigar (used only few times during 130+ hrs), or night goggles, or box (which I actively used in the beginning, but don't use anymore), or stun grenades. Also, I don't see any practical usefulness of the pills. I would bargain all that for possibility to carry a sniper rifle and rocket launcher simultaneously. The possibility I REALLY miss.
    Last edited by 242; 8th Oct 2015 at 09:41.

Dammit, I thought I'll solve my GMP problems by beating Sachelantropus over and over again in mission 50, but the game is smart enough to substantially lower the GMP reward after each successful attempt. Anyway, I got all main ops done, now onto the remaining side ops.

Finished the 1st chapter. 140hrs , 58%, 180k of heroism.

Enjoyed it, except the gibberish Kojima-style plot revelations at the end.
    The Skull face plan: show Sahelanthropus to instigate buying of his nuclear weapons to rejoin the world after it would be disjointed upon using his "English" vocal cord parasites, and so the war is peace. Really?

The final boss fight was very easy (again, all the bosses until now were easy too) and got S. Used guided cluster rocket launcher, helicopter and Quiet.

After listening to some cassettes, which I got after the final mission, I'm confused. They fear of another pandemic and that someone will infect Snake with the "english" parasites. But the Code Talker himself says that those who are vaccinated are immune, and I thought they all were vaccinated after the kikongo pandemic. Ok, lets assume that vaccination is succesful only if a person is infected and kikongo parasites didn't infect Snake. Then no problems too: just infect Snake and everyone else with the kikongo ones and inject wolbachia.

Looking forward for chapter 2, coz the 1st one was too easy for me.
    Last edited by 242; 9th Oct 2015 at 06:23.

In terms of further goofing around with stuff, I permanently replaced my tranquilizer pistol with water gun It's so versatile, more than I actually expected. It's like they thought of everything wacky and ridiculous that may come to mind, and actually implemented it.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast