TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

I'm about to embark on Mission 30, but in the meantime I was wondering about resource gathering and FOBs. I'm pretty much constantly low on fuel; if I want to make sure that I've got enough fuel to add platforms, what can I do other than occasionally do raids on the airport and wait for the fuel to be refined? Do I understand correctly that FOBs gather resources automatically, or do they just refine them? Any point in expanding specific FOB platforms?

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I'm about to embark on Mission 30, but in the meantime I was wondering about resource gathering and FOBs. I'm pretty much constantly low on fuel; if I want to make sure that I've got enough fuel to add platforms, what can I do other than occasionally do raids on the airport and wait for the fuel to be refined?
    That, and the higher ranked resource processing function of the base develompent team will help. Also, some "external missions" (or whatever they're called in the english version) which have fuel as a reward. I fully developed my main base only in the beginning of the 2nd chaper.

Thing What Kicks
    Yeah, "Combat Deployments" are a good source of fuel. You'll generally find a couple of the "Disrupt Transport" ones will reward 2500 units for completion, and occasionally one will pop up that's worth 10,000. In addition, unprocessed materials won't be processed if you're not playing, so I quite often just tool around in the open world, bouncing from Side Op to Side Op, and fuel gets processed while I'm playing.
    Also, FOBs can be lucrative too. But if you want guaranteed results, go for Base Development platforms with no security measures. The ideal would be to find one that's got 4 total platforms with no security measures and low ranked troops. Just remember to go in and out of the FOB screen in order to refresh the list.

Cool, thanks for the info. I've not found too many Combat Deployments to date that promised fuel (they all seem to be flower-gathering expeditions), but perhaps I just didn't look properly. Also, so far I've not yet invaded any FOBs, but perhaps I should look into that at least once, to find out whether I enjoy it enough to overcome my bad conscience.

Also, I should probably take a page out of your book and do a string of Side Ops in the open world, rather than always being flown in and out by helicopter. The latter does mean that I only make a fraction of the money from Side Ops, which isn't exactly good business.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Also, I should probably take a page out of your book and do a string of Side Ops in the open world, rather than always being flown in and out by helicopter. The latter does mean that I only make a fraction of the money from Side Ops, which isn't exactly good business.
    You can always exit freeplay and return to helicoper via menu, it's quick and free and you save all your progress except captured animals in your traps if you placed any But obviously, you'll have to pay for deployment again if you choose another sideop. It doesn't matter though, as money isn't big issue (at least in SP), but this "teleport to helicopter and jump directly to another sideop" method greatly accelerates the process.
    Last edited by 242; 12th Oct 2015 at 09:13.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Tried a bit of MGO today. I'm not much of a fan of competitive multiplayer to begin with. At the best I'm hooked for a few days, as was the case with the MP modes in Watch Dogs and The Last of Us. This one tho? I played 2 matches, and that's enough for me. Back to the SP.

Last edited by 242; 14th Oct 2015 at 11:31.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Haha, great video.

Just found this one on another message board:

"Not sure about the breed though"
    Last edited by 242; 15th Oct 2015 at 11:45.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Man, episode 40, the Extreme Difficulty bossfight against Quiet, has been kicking my ass all weekend. She's super fast on the draw and one shot kills you. I did manage to get her down to where 1 more shot would've ended her, and spent another 20 minutes sneaking around trying to find her, but she spotted me first and that was that. I suppose I could just do something cheesy like call in a tank or use bombardment, but I really wanna beat her in a straight up fight. Anyone have any tips? I'm already using the scope to listen for her, moving when she moves, and using the prototype stealth camo.

Are those Extreme, Subsistence etc. missions compulsory, or are they extras? I've just started chapter 2, and I've played the game so much over the last few weeks that I want to get to the end of the story; I'm hoping that I can just play the story-relevant missions, move on to another game, and then return to TPP every now and then for a mission. Is that how these work?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Nope, they're compulsory. My story progression has been stuck for days now because I can't get past this one.

Hmm, that's a bother. Perhaps I'll get started on a second game on the side, so I don't get frustrated by running into a wall.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Well fuck it. After a half dozen more failed attempts I gave in and brought a tank. I can't outsnipe Quiet, and maybe that's how it should be.

I don't think they're required. Are you sure you're not missing some important side ops or something else?

Thing What Kicks
    Okay, massive tip for that one henke:

If you crawl off down to the right, there's a sort of ruined bridge. Here's the important part: place the tree between you and Quiet.
    No matter how good a shot she is, she apparently can't see through leaves.
    Turn on yer NVG to keep track of her, but otherwise, try to make sure that wherever she ends up, you're looking at her through leaves.

With that tip, S rank, no worries.

It took me a while to twig what was going on, but once it clicked, it was piss-easy.
    Last edited by Malf; 18th Oct 2015 at 18:43. Reason: Shameless Punnage

Level 10,000 achieved
    Thanks for the tip, Malf. Although that sorta feels like cheating as well.

Quote Originally Posted by derfy View Post
    I don't think they're required. Are you sure you're not missing some important side ops or something else?
    About the missions, yeah I think I'm missing something. Beat episode 40 but no new missions showed up. Progress is probably tied to some side missions.

Thing What Kicks
    You know what? I think it's actually intentional, as while the Parasite unit from Code Talker are to all intents and purposes identical to Quiet, they can shoot you through leaves.

Oh, and even with that tip, it's still not exactly easy, as you've still got to make sure you're positioned correctly, and moving is always dangerous.

Do you have any Side Ops that are yellow henke? Those are needed to progress the story.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yup, I've got a few yellow ones.

Don't tell me you didn't go rescue the kids at once. You monster.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ah those kids are fine. I'll rescue them eventually. I just got some important stuff to do first, like finding really big hills to slide down in my cardboard box.

Are those Extreme, Subsistence etc. missions compulsory, or are they extras? I've just started chapter 2, and I've played the game so much over the last few weeks that I want to get to the end of the story; I'm hoping that I can just play the story-relevant missions, move on to another game, and then return to TPP every now and then for a mission. Is that how these work?
    Basically yes.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    About the missions, yeah I think I'm missing something. Beat episode 40 but no new missions showed up. Progress is probably tied to some side missions.

In the Chapter 2, every ANY 3 side-missions moves the story furhter. Non-story main missions (extreme, stealth etc.) aren't compulsory. But I read that for mission 46 one needs to finish all yellow side missions, there are no such requirements for mission 41.

Finished the game yesterday (after more than 150hrs in the game), I still need to S many missions, finish some side missions, and mission 45, and find missed animals, and get missed key items, but the story is over. It was quite a ride and I liked it. I hadn't figured that BB wasn't BB until the end of the game.

Also, tried some extreme missions, and I couldn'd beat The Metallic Archaea until I used Quiet (even though I beat it easily with a gattling D-Walker on normal). Quiet did it herself even on extreme without my help in 3 minutes. S of course. I guess a 12.7 sniper rifle is the most effective weapon against Skulls.

BTW, why the Chapter 2 is called "Race"? Race in a poetic sense, like "the present race of poets", i.e. a "family" perhaps. The main theme of the 2nd chapter is Diamond Dogs after all.
    Last edited by 242; 19th Oct 2015 at 06:16.

Thing What Kicks
    Quote Originally Posted by 242 View Post
    I hadn't figured that BB wasn't BB until the end of the game.
    Yeah, I love the double-fakeout from learning that Eli doesn't share your DNA and therefore isn't your clone, making you think that he's NOT Liquid, when in fact he is, because you're not actually Big Boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    Yeah, I love the double-fakeout from learning that Eli doesn't share your DNA and therefore isn't your clone, making you think that he's NOT Liquid, when in fact he is, because you're not actually Big Boss.
    And how elegant they finished the whole circle. On the other side of the cassette was coded a message called "Operation Intrude N313". I.e. the scene happens in 1995. The beginning of the very first game of the series, and it was V who was killed back then, not BB.

Also, the thing in which V inserted the cassette was MSX Bitcoder. It's like V was loading the very first game of the series to play it on his MSX
    Last edited by 242; 19th Oct 2015 at 08:48.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast