TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: T3 FM "On the Trail of a Fence" (released 2013/06/07)

T3 FM "On the Trail of a Fence" (released 2013/06/07)

It's been too many years since all this started and due to bug tracking, researching glitches in T3Ed and having few free time for editing this took so long. But finally here it is, my first, overly-ambitious but stubbornly-finished TDS fan mission:

On the Trail of a Fence

Updated mission download courtesy of snobel

Downloads: Darkfate (thanks to clearing), Southquarter (thanks to Brethren), ttlg.de (thanks to PsymH)

For those who downloaded the compressed version (216MB) please note the instructions here.

Screenshots: slightly outdated but still valid (again thanks to clearing for being the Thief community's memory)

This mission is a sort-of prequel to TDP (and yes, I'm aware that this looks strange when built with T3 assets). I tried not to mess too much with the canon, which is the reason for this mission being rather small in scope. Garrett does not save the world, neither does he unravel a mystery surrounding a dangerous artefact. I'll probably never build FMs with mystical artefacts. Most bugs are hopefully gone, some minor glitches were either too resistant to fix or just too much work in the end. I'm still present to fix major issues, though, so please report them if you find any.

Excerpt from the readme file:
    NOTES: This mission takes place even before Thief: The Dark Project. Garrett isn't known to the City Watch yet. So you won't be harmed unless the bluecoats catch you with drawn weapons, while picking a lock or in the company of other criminals. Some people might not like you entering their private buildings or areas and some of the more dangerous fellows won't ask questions if they already catch you inside a forbidden place.

FURTHER NOTES ON TDS GAMEPLAY: Make sure you know how to let TDS-Garrett jump and climb (for instance forward key and shortly after jump key, both held, to make him mantle a trim or something (or vice-versa with the trim directly in front of you); also that you need to face an edge straight on but without touching it for mantling to work. Plus, you can move Garrett during falling, e.g. towards a ladder). You'll probably need it often and sometimes in a hurry. The AI awareness is significantly increased in comparison to vanilla TDS, so don't expect wall-hugging to be as powerful. Likewise, sneaking without crouching is not silent anymore. The automatically raised blackjack is removed (one of several Minimalist Project features that I used), so blackjacking requires good timing. Knocking out sitting AIs was not successfully implemented.
    This mission wouldn't be what it is without the help of many many people, so here is an honest THANK YOU list:
    From TTLG in general and the T3 Editor's guild in particular (in no notable order whatsoever): Ziemanskye, Tiens, Flux, Judith, JohnP, Child of Karras, Vogelfrei, New Horizon, str8g8, Massimiliano Goi, ShadowSneaker, jtr7. Thanks as well to the FM loader programmers which helped fixing not only FM loading problems but also T3(ed)'s registry issue: R. Potter, Xiaopang & last but definitely not least snobel (without whom T3Editing would still deal with all sorts of technical teething problems). Thanks also to saxmeister for his wonderful Garrett voice acting.

This mission uses additional textures by JohnP, str8g8, Tiens, Judith, Renzatic, Flux & myself
    ~ static meshes by str8g8, Ziemanskye, Tiens, Judith & Flux
    ~ music by the Child of Karras aka JayB
    ~ briefing video artwork by Yalda
    ~ ini tweaks and files by S_Hole, Minimalist Project (i.e. New Horizon)
    ~ Thief-1-styled menu background by Dave Angel
    ~ Garrett and guard voices by saxmeister

Thanks to my beta testers for their valuable contributions: gnartsch (no one is more thoroughly!), Judith, snobel, Lauryl, xxcoy, Child of Karras. A very big thank you to Azaran for the French translation and Smallman_647 and Overmann for the Italian one. Thanks to Soldi for providing the Russian translations. Sorry for the lot of text I handed over to you!

For those who like to get into the mood, the briefing video (voiced by saxmeister in a young Garrett interpretation):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGjfyvrYPZA

Next editing project? Well, Thief 3 Gold I guess. There is a castle and a museum to fix!
    Last edited by Beleg Cúthalion; 9th Jun 2013 at 05:32.

jtr7
    Congratulations on this release!

Clearinghouse
    Congratulations, Beleg!

Congratulations

Gratz on the release!

Woohoo! I have the trailer guy's voice in my head right now: "After 10 years in the making..."

Congrats

I have downloaded this from Darkfate and downloaded it to where I keep my T3 missions, but when I open garrett loader it isn't showing up in the mission sets....any ideas please..
    Thanks.

Congratulations, Beleg! Cool mission!

Clearinghouse
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenhook View Post
    I have downloaded this from Darkfate and downloaded it to where I keep my T3 missions, but when I open garrett loader it isn't showing up in the mission sets....any ideas please..
    Thanks.
    Use FMSel (included in the Sneaky Upgrade).

Southquarter.com/fms

It's ok..I used a workaround without having to install FMSel on this buggy computer that likes to crash as soon as you look at it...this is how I did it...
    Made a folder that was named EXACTLY as the mission title and unzipped the contents there, then I zipped it back up to the folder "add to.."name_of_the_folder" which is the exact name of the game" and put the created zip file into the folder where I store my T3 games...hey presto..it works just fine.
    Incidentally, tucked away within the contents is a readme along with the loot list that suggests re-zipping for older loaders.
    A big thank you to Beleg Cúthalion for his brilliant hard work with this.

bikerdude
    Congrats, you may want to change the date in the title though as its looks like its from 2007 etc..

Sneaky Upgrader
    Congratulations on the release! And looking forward to a complete set of Gold OMs...
    Widescreen and tweaks patches: The Sneaky Upgrade for Thief 3, the Visible Upgrade for Deus Ex 2

bikerdude
    Just listened to the briefing vid with Saxmeister's vocals, dare i say it, but I think he even manages to sound more like Garret than even our resident Slyfoxx.

Thanks guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenhook View Post
    It's ok..I used a workaround without having to install FMSel on this buggy computer that likes to crash as soon as you look at it...this is how I did it...
    I believe the Sneaky Upgrade and FMSel will be much less trouble for your machine than GL. But I'm glad someone did test the GL-compatibility in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdude View Post
    Congrats, you may want to change the date in the title though as its looks like its from 2007 etc..
    And I thought doing it yy/mm/dd was one of the more consistent styles. Anyway, even though I wanted to change it earlier today (at least adding 20 to the 13), I cannot edit the thread title by editing the first post. It just worked for me on another vBulletin board, but I was a moderator there. And yes, saxmeister's job is downright awesome.

bikerdude
    I dont know how youv'e done it, but this is by far the best and biggest city mission in T3 yet, how many custom textures have you used in this mission as they all look awesome including the TDM ones I've spotted here and there.

stuck at gate

Am I supposed to follow these guys after the gate and be right behind them?

I managed to get it open , but they get too far ahead of me adn the objective always fails.
    "To live in the light is to see everything, to live in the dark is to see everthing you missed in the light."

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcrawler View Post
    Am I supposed to follow these guys after the gate and be right behind them?

I managed to get it open , but they get too far ahead of me adn the objective always fails.
    You have to run with them. Immediately open the door and run to the arch. Then jump over the fence and keep up with the guards.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcrawler View Post
    If you managed to pull the lever, don't turn back but head to the opposite window. You shouldn't be able to fail it once you've done that. Soldi's suggestion is another possibility.

@ Bikerdude: Thanks for the kind words. The map was once a whole one but the basically only hurtful limit (one of property values) in T3Ed made me split it, otherwise savegames (which also use properties) would not have been possible. With careful building and more custom assets it should be possible to make even larger areas. The "DarkMod textures" by the way are those done by Renzatic (his yellow rough brick textures for instance) and I believe I had included them before they appeared on TDM FM screenshots. Doesn't matter anyway, it's a great texture and I'll probably use it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Beleg Cúthalion View Post
    Anyway, even though I wanted to change it earlier today (at least adding 20 to the 13), I cannot edit the thread title by editing the first post. It just worked for me on another vBulletin board, but I was a moderator there. And yes, saxmeister's job is downright awesome.
    You should have been able to edit it if you 'Go Advanced' but I've done it now. And many congratulations on the release.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Here's a repack of the mission, this file is smaller (216 MiB) because CBTs are used. In addition, readme files etc are in a separate compression block for fast access. Edit: Unfortunately my cloud service seems to be having an off-day, or maybe they've started throttling access to public files?

Note: Non-FMSel users will have to update the file called DLLRebuildIBT.dll in their loader installation to the one in this archive. That's because the CBT scheme has been improved a bit, so that it can remove redundant custom resources. GL users also have to convert the archive to zip format, as Ravenhook did above.
    Widescreen and tweaks patches: The Sneaky Upgrade for Thief 3, the Visible Upgrade for Deus Ex 2

finished mission

I managed to get by with jumping thorugh the window after opening the gate.

At returning to the start point, the mission asks if I want to end the mission and I do, but then after that the game does not return to the main menu.

Is this expected?

After saving Cutty and coming back to start point I can do no more. Looks like I finished. Good mission. i found that once on the scaffolding at the tower, I come off, onto the lower roof, throw a mine down, blow up the bad guys, then fall to the lower roof and onto the lit torch, then to the ground. I took no damage. Only way to get down that I could find.
    "To live in the light is to see everything, to live in the dark is to see everthing you missed in the light."

Glad you liked it. There are a couple of ways to solve the final issue. To come down from the tower, head towards the drainpipe. There are additional objectives on HARD and EXPERT, aside from the higher challenge posed by more and more aware AIs. Ghosting the thieves' den is quite a challenge.

There is no "hard" way to finish a TDS mission, you're either re-directed to Garrett's apartment or you can still walk the map without objectives. I opted for the latter. Well, speaking of it, I believe there is a return-to-the-main-menu hack but I've forgotten it.

bikerdude
    Have completed all objectives, but only have 27% loot, playing on hard and need 70% - where on earth is the rest of it, is there a big stash I've missed..?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast