TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910152025 ... LastLast

Thread: My first FM "The Mystery Man" released! (26/03/2001)

jupiter

Originally posted by Nightwalker:
    SPOILER ALERT!

Jupiter, the above could also apply to you, but it sounds like you are playing on Expert. They are just places where there is additional equipment to be found on the easier settings. In the library, for more specific help highlight here: if you still can't find the book, look to you left as you walk in the door. It's right in the corner about half way up the bookcase.
    I also looked in that fireplace several times before I found the trigger. Just as a hint, look UP VERY CAREFULLY.
    Thanks NightWalker

Since you have finished in 3 levels..
    I found it the hard way after I read some hints form others which are quite misleading.
    That's why I spent many hours for specific Talbot's key !!
    Nonetheless I am on the last leg now
    ...spoilers in highlighted white characters for the following will be most aprreciated.

1. Do I need to kill the mystery man for the porticullis to open
    2. The sheer drop you mention .. I tried that. the mystery man still follow me and fireball me hmm not good to save and reload !!.

I am the player who do not like to hack and slash so basically I am quite handicapped in that faculty :-)
    I still have flash bomb left.. even throwing the darn thing did not do the skeleton any damage ?

Suggestion ?

[This message has been edited by jupiter (edited April 03, 2001).]

Nightwalker

Jupiter: Highlight here- I'm afraid that there isn't any easy way I've found to deal with this guy. He always gets at least one whack at me, but it doesn't do enough damage to kill me. I've found that sinking a rope arrow into the ceiling at one end, then downing a speed potion just as you finish reading the book (or maybe before) and run like crazy for the rope works. Then, if you go quietly and hide in the shadows downstairs until he quits looking for you, you can sneak up and backstab him. He isn't very hard to kill that way. But that's about it.

the bug_cloud

whoaahh...

cool highlight stuff there....
    guess I'll just stick with the italic and bold tags as of now (newbie me!)

canoli

*SPOILER*

*SPOILER*

*SPOILER*

I have been playing Thief for so long now that it makes me feel like an idiot to have to ask for a hint on anything! Hopefully someone can help though. I am playing Mystery Man on Expert, and I think I have taken out every single AI that I possibly can, but now I'm stuck.

I am in the small library, but I cannot find ANYTHING on the shelves that relates to "Song of the Shadows". I have every talisman except for the fire. Hell, I can even see where the door is in the small library, I just can't get to it! AAARRRGGGHHH. doaal, you have made one hell of an interesting FM, one that I would put up against any of the OM's. I have played a lot of FM's, but this one relly takes the cake.

If someone can help, please leave a veiled hint here, before I tear out what remains of my hair!!! Thanks

------------------
    There are three kinds of lies: Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics.

canoli

Double D'OH!!
    D'OH!!

Five minutes after I post, I find the answer myself! Figures!

Well, back to the grind!

------------------
    There are three kinds of lies: Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics.

brother taffer

Another way to get that upper floor key without going through the fireplace is to go up the outside of the balcony, then use your sword or blackjack to knock on the door. He will come out, and you can hid in darkness and use your blackjack to knock on the light fixture. He comes over, you lean forward and KO the guy.

Ethne

Nightwalker, that's why I asked... I found the fire talisman right away... well, I found air first... but the other two I am having problems with... When I finally can't take anymore, then I will harrass the FM author...
    (Yeah, I'm a wimp... playing on easy first...)

No_Coke_Pepsi

Happy hunting, Ethne.

doaal, I just finished it last night. It's an outstanding mission. The combat had me cursing (and reloading) at times, but it was very entertaining overall. Thank you for all the time and effort you spent.

Sharga

Why 8 silvers when you can go gold!!! This was far better than many om's, including the much-loved Bafford's Manor. Glad you liked it N_C_P

jupiter

Jupiter:
    Thank you very much Nightwalker !!

I did use climb the rope trick too..
    I shoot one fire arrow, 1 flashbomb, 13 broadheads.. still no go !!

I wish the author would have Garret the opportunity to get some empty vials (..there are many empty treasure chest around in several locations..) and create another puzzle to retrieve the holy water similar to retrieving Talisman of fire !! placing note with subtle hints

So player like me can select different ways to destroy the red smoking skeleton !!

The game is very well done for sure ...there are many angles to approach the game ...

I still think there is a bug..
    try go in the kitchen earlier in the game with only front door key,then pick the kitchen lock .. get into the kitchen and let the servant with the key ran out.. you are stuck in the kitchen forever..

Anyone has similar experience ?

Overall .. 9 out of 10

My assessment only..

------------------
    >>Jupiter<<

"Too much coffee this morning ! I am twitchy as hell, seem clear ! < wonder why its not whiskey ?>"

Christa

Where is the mystery man?

I think I was everywhere in this mansion and readed all books, but I didn't find this guy.
    Who can help me.

Nightwalker

Have you found the Master's Key? Have you found the key to the Tower? If not keep looking or post back with where you are and what you've found and I'll give you some hints.

Christa

I have the Master's key and I was in the tower, I have killed the four guys there ,I have seen the mirror and have readed the book besides Alexej. I play on expert.Thanks for help Nightwalker!

[This message has been edited by Christa (edited April 04, 2001).]

Nightwalker

You have to find a way through the mirror, Christa. Just as a hint,highlight here- position yourself so you can see through it, and compare it to the side where you are standing. What's different? Make your side look like that side.

Pointdexter43

I might have to play this mission. Is it worth the download?

------------------
    Pointdexter43
    • Head Of All Furry Animals And Things That Grow In Your Refrigerator
    • Keeper Of The Sacred And Holy Bluish Greenish Glowing Llama Shaped Object

Pictures of my upcoming T2 mission "Lord Charles"

http://www.ttlg.com/keep/upcom/poind/sspoind.htm

HAIL CLAN FOOFIE!!!!

Nightwalker

Oh, it's definitely worth it. It's a really great mission full of secret passageways, and hidden loot. It's loads of fun, and I didn't hit any bugs at all.

Pointdexter43

Oh, it's definitely worth it. It's a really great mission full of secret passageways, and hidden loot. It's loads of fun, and I didn't hit any bugs at all.
    Then I just might try it then.

------------------
    Pointdexter43
    • Head Of All Furry Animals And Things That Grow In Your Refrigerator
    • Keeper Of The Sacred And Holy Bluish Greenish Glowing Llama Shaped Object

Pictures of my upcoming T2 mission "Lord Charles"

http://www.ttlg.com/keep/upcom/poind/sspoind.htm

HAIL CLAN FOOFIE!!!!

jupiter

Originally posted by Christa:
    I think I was everywhere in this mansion and readed all books, but I didn't find this guy.
    Who can help me.
    I just finished on Expert level..

you need to get the 4 talismans in order to encounter the Mystery Man!!
    If you read all the hints posted by Nightwalker in this forum.. you should able to complete the game ...

BTW At the end I got 11,275 loot .. its way over the required 4000 objective :-))

This is one of the FMs that I played more than once..

Ok.. all you taffers... get twitchy..
    Its really a good, fun mission..with different approaches to the game play..

You will be real surprised when there are countless guards and archers congregate at the start of the game..

------------------
    >>Jupiter<<

"Too much coffee this morning ! I am twitchy as hell, seem clear ! < wonder why its not whiskey ?>"

doaal

That's only on expert jupiter On normal there are a lot less guards and they're a lot easier to get past

------------------
    My Magic Items Demo (Thief 1)

My FM "The Mystery Man"

Christa

Thanks for your help Nightwalker and Jupiter.The mirror was the problem, I didn't explore it .
    The last guy was very hard to kill, but now I finished the level on expert.
    Doaal, really a very good mission with a lot of fun!! I have played all new fanmissions and all with a silver hammer.

[This message has been edited by Christa (edited April 05, 2001).]

jupiter

[B]Thanks for your help Nightwalker and Jupiter.The mirror was the problem, I didn't , Doaal, really a very good mission with a lot of fun!! I have played all new fanmissions and all with a silver hammer.
    (B]
    Christa.. try this FM
    JOURNEY Escape from Guilesatpeak

you start without anything..
    I start playing TMA- FM "Equilibrium" now..
    (I think I have played all the TDP FM regardless of rating)

The need to be sneaking and have a lot of patience at the beginning is paramount!

Have fun..

The reason why I suggest this mission is because all passsages are well thought out..

At the end I found that I could have played the mission differently..

I am a very cautious player..

------------------
    >>Jupiter<<

Christa

Hi Jupiter, I played yet Journey. Equilibrium too.These two levels are also very good ,especialy Equilibrium. I think it's one of the best.Also Bloodsport .Have you already played it? you start with nothing too. Now I want to try the newest mission The Inverted Manse. Sorry for my English.I learned it in school,but more than 10 years ago.

Ethne

I vote for GOLD!!!!!

jupiter

Hi Jupiter, I played yet Journey. Equilibrium too.These two levels are also very good ,especialy Equilibrium. I think it's one of the best.Also Bloodsport .Have you already played it? you start with nothing too. Now I want to try the newest mission The Inverted Manse. Sorry for my English.I learned it in school,but more than 10 years ago.
    I am playing Equilibirum now..
    (I think I have played all TDP FM that ever being made regardless of rating!!!)
    Its the type of mission I enjoy playing very much..
    At my old age.. I prefer thief type of game where ther is no time constraint to finish a mission..

Honestly my Englsih is not that polished either..

Zaphod

This mission is fantastic. I am, however, stuck (again).

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

I've got 3 of the 4 talismans. I can't find Water. And I can't get into the Pagan chapel off the courtyard. I've been everywhere else (I think). I've got the Upper Room key and the Master Key. I just can't get into that chapel or find the Water Talisman. Little help?

------------------
    "Did you ever kill a man?"
    "Well, I hurt somebody's feelings once."

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910152025 ... LastLast