TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567891011162126 ... LastLast

Thread: My first FM "The Mystery Man" released! (26/03/2001)

Nightwalker

Zaphod, highlight here for a hint: Have you read the notes about Alexi's gold plate and what he does with it? Try it. If by the chapel, you mean the metal doors off the pool area, you'll get to that eventually.

Zaphod

Nightwaylker, thanks. It occured to me that I hadn't gotten even gotten that item yet, and then I realized where it would be...

Feh. I'm stuck again, and getting annoyed. I'm a better Thief than this, but I just have some sort of brain gas today...

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

Final (hopefully) questions: What is the purpose of the room to the left of the Talisman room? I've tried every object and weapon I have on every structure in that room. Is that where the sceptre is? How do I get past the Mirror of Truth? Is the sceptre involved? (If so, that would explain why I can't get past it). Again, I've tried everything that my feeble mind can come up with today.

------------------
    "Did you ever kill a man?"
    "Well, I hurt somebody's feelings once."

canoli

*SPOILER*

*SPOILER*

*SPOILER*

Zaphod,

If you took Nightwalker's advice and found the note that mentioned what Alexei was doing with his precious gold plate, then you should know what [i]you[i/] are supposed to do with it. When you do, you will trigger an event [i]in the adjoining room[i/].

When you get to this point, all of your questions will be answered. Except one. That room next to the talisman holders. I never found any use for it, and it didn't prevent me from getting to the end of the mission. Hope that helps!

------------------
    There are three kinds of lies: Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics.

Nightwalker

Here's the answers to both your questions
    Highlight: There is only a use for the room beside the talisman room on Normal and Hard. That is where you find the fire talisman on those levels. The sceptre is down where the water talisman is. Look very high!

To get past the mirror, position yourself so that you can see through it (looks like a reflection of the room you are in). Something is different. Make your side look like the other side.

Zaphod

Thanks guys. I found the power-up and won the game.

Thanks for helping me tie on the bib for the spoon-feeding I needed.

------------------
    "Did you ever kill a man?"
    "Well, I hurt somebody's feelings once."

Ethne

Don't feel bad, I couldn't find the water - talismen either... I had to keep writting to doaal to get hints... and I felt like a flegling thief doing it...
    now I don't feel so bad...

------------------
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

doaal

Glad everyone is enjoying my FM

------------------
    My Magic Items Demo (Thief 1)

My FM "The Mystery Man"

Sharga

Well, there's no reason for them not to.

radioman

Some mission. Real good work. I get the Retard Award for being 4:42 into it before slipping the last talisman into place. But ... I got the last guy on my third try. I had the speed potion and the sword good to go and as soon as I got ready to face him I hopped off the ramp. He showed up behind a pillar, not seeing me and I back-stabbed hinm a few times and that was that. I was almost disappointed I'm gonna play it again!

doaal

I'm gonna be writing a walkthrough soon for those who are having trouble with my FM. Glad everyone likes it

YcatX

Way to go! I can't wait will I get the response from my FM. It is similar to yours but without the extra stims. I added several new ideas:

1) Mushroom eating Burricks
    2) A place where one can really "mine"
    3) 5 new AI versions:
    Skull Zombie
    Brainsuckers
    Headless Fiends
    DarkOnes
    Fish
    4) Falling Rocks
    5) A place where falling to your death is
    required
    6) The only mission where your not allowed to kill anyone, yet averages a 15+ body count.

Anyway, did you ever get the HauntedDoor script to work with convict?

------------------
    YcatX

Cylinder

Mystery Man questions; (contains my own spoilers)

OK, I admit that I need help now.
    I've read the thread but have these questions.

Here is where I stand at the moment (on normal difficulty):
    I have been about everywhere that you don't need a key to get to.
    I have the air and water talismans and the scepter from the water area. I have the red gem from the treasury room. I know why I was targeted for killing, and defeated the two undead that appeared. I've been to the room by the storage shed and read about the "crystal and gold" and know that you touch the gold vases with the crystal to key something. I see the door in the small library, but can't figure out how to open it. I found the secret door in the big library but can't unlock the door on the other side. In the upper level (accessed by the gate room) I think I see a door in the fireplace (in the room with the adjoining bathroom), but can't find out how to open it. I've been to the art room but don't have the crystal to touch the gold vase.

Any hints would be helpful.

Thanks
    John A.

------------------
    When are they going to bring me my dinner, that's what I want to know.....
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 26th Mar 2013 at 12:01. Reason: added

Nightwalker

You've got the crystal thing figured out. Just look around when you do it and you'll see what happens. If you are playing on Normal difficulty, the small library is of no use to you (that I could find, anyway). It comes into play on Expert only.

To unlock the hidden door in the big library, you need a key you don't have yet. You are on the right track with the fireplace. I did the same thing. Go into it and look up! That will get you on the way to finding other stuff you need.

By Normal, you mean the easiest difficulty level? If so, the crystal is in the room where you read the clue about the crystal meeting the gold. Search it carefully. If you need anymore help, let me know here or by e-mail if you like. I love this mission!

Metalhead

Darnit I was hoping I wouldn't have to do this, but...

As far as I can tell, I've been everywhere except the tower, and I've got all the talismans except the Earth talisman, um where is it? Another shove in the right direction would be nice
    ------------------
    "And the mustard seed didst fall in amongst weeds, and thorns, and brambles; and they didst choke it and sap it as it grew. Yea, indeed the seed didst become a mighty tree, twisted and misshapen by unrighteous cohorts, and now shades and protects even them."
    --The Book of the Raven

"Absolute Power"
    30% complete
    Coming Summer Y2K+1
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 28th Feb 2013 at 11:05. Reason: added

GrueSlayer

YES!!! One of the best FM's ever!

But still quite a long way behind the rest of u guys......

Playing Normal to start with. Got the Air + Water. Got the Master's Key. Been just about everywhere I can find - except the west tower. (and found some well hidden stuff in the process!)

Where's the earth + fire? And the talisman room???

Cheers all
    Grue

------------------
    If u can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit.

Nightwalker

GrueSlayer - You said you already have the Master's key. Did you find the hidden door in the big library? Look in the area behind that door for the Earth Talisman.
    If you want more specific help with the Earth Talisman, read here, but beware, it contains Major Spoilers: The lever to open the bookcase in the library is on the wall in the office off of the library that does NOT have the treasure room door in it. The hidden door opens with the Master's key. Go into the throne room. Look behind the throne. Then look outside the door in the hallway.
    Talisman room and Fire Talisman hint:I'm surprised you haven't found the Talisman room. It's sort of around the corner and up from the servant's room where you found the Treasury key. You need the Upper Floor key to unlock the door there. That's also the area where you will find the Fire Talisman on Normal. You'll find the key to the Tower in due course.

Metalhead - Have you found the Master's key yet? You need it first. I'm trying to figure out how to do this without giving too much away! It's in the area behind the hidden door in the large library.
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 28th Feb 2013 at 11:14. Reason: combined 2 posts and updated spoiler cover

Metalhead

Yup I've got the Master's key. Which big library? If it's the one with the three big solid-brushed "bookshelves near the treasury, where's the door? I slashed both banners, one has an empty chest, the other has a wierd skeleton?

------------------
    "And the mustard seed didst fall in amongst weeds, and thorns, and brambles; and they didst choke it and sap it as it grew. Yea, indeed the seed didst become a mighty tree, twisted and misshapen by unrighteous cohorts, and now shades and protects even them."
    --The Book of the Raven

"Absolute Power"
    30% complete
    Coming Summer Y2K+1
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 28th Feb 2013 at 11:06. Reason: added

Metalhead

DUH! WAIT NEVERMIND I know exactly what you're talking about, arrgh I KNEW it was gonna be something iwalked past 50 times :P

Metalhead

OK I got the talisman and found the Master's chamber but uh, exactly HOW do I fight this guy? I keep getting killed by a fireball before I can even turn around. I even tried climbing a rope arrow up behind the table with the book to read it and I still got killed?

------------------
    --The Book of the Raven

"Absolute Power"
    30% complete
    Coming Summer Y2K+1
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 28th Feb 2013 at 11:07. Reason: added

Nightwalker

I don't think there is any way to avoid getting hit at least once. I've never found it anyways. He's just too quick. (I did do it once on Normal with an invisibility potion. He just stood where he appears, and I sneaked back up the steps and whacked him from behind.) If you look at either end of the walkway where the book is located, you'll see a sheer drop. Up above each is a wooden ceiling. What I usually do is sink a rope arrow into one end, go back and read the book, and then run like crazy for the rope arrow. (A speed potion helps.) Once down below, go hide and he'll come look for you. When he stops, you can creep up behind him and finish him off. That's the best advice I can give.
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 28th Feb 2013 at 11:08. Reason: added

Metalhead

HMM, not good... I'm on expert and I only have 5 health thingies left... time to go hacking in dromed i guess :P

------------------
    --The Book of the Raven

"Absolute Power"
    30% complete
    Coming Summer Y2K+1

doaal

Thanks for the spoiler coverage Nightwalker! I've been pretty busy lately.

------------------
    My Magic Items Demo (Thief 1)

My FM "The Mystery Man"

Nightwalker

Your welcome! I hope you don't mind me answering stuff, but I absolutely love your mission. I still can't find all the loot, though. I've got 13,369 and I'm pretty much stuck. Any hints for really, really hard stuff to find? Thanks for this great mission.

jupiter

Originally posted by Nightwalker:

I dont' think there is any way to avoid getting hit at least once.

Sorry Nightwalker.. If you read some message posted..
    there is a way..
    That is what .. I did.. (BTW I get this tip from someone post here !)
    Go to the main foyer or hallway .. get 3 boxes..
    take them to the book area .. and stack them from the line of sight from the Mysteryman.
    spoiler..ahead..

To beat him.. best to have a rope arrrow and
    and some moss arrows( at least one is really necessary..)

You must be very patient.. after the initial grandiose.. as what everyone did.. jump to the rope arrow.. the Mysteryman will run down to the bottom of the rope arrow just running around ..every now and then he will try to throw you a fireball or two..

Quickly jump off .. and time yourself until you are certain he is chasing you up the stair..

Now (most important part) jump back to the rope arrow.. and wait till the Mystery man stay still.. it will be very handy if you have a moss arrow.. jump to the patch.. creep to its back.. wacked him 3 times.. viola .. he is done..

That's my encounter with the Mystery Man any way
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 28th Feb 2013 at 11:10. Reason: added

Nightwalker

No need to apologize to me! I'll have to try the boxes.

Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567891011162126 ... LastLast