TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141924 ... LastLast

Thread: My first FM "The Mystery Man" released! (26/03/2001)

The Mystery Man

ive got everything except the tailsmans of water and earth. do you need those to find out who the mystery man is? please help.

When you throw the gold plate from the dining room in the kitchen sink the middle of the table opens up you will find the talisman of water there. I think the earth one is in the room by the back courtyard in the room with no door handle. Just try all youre keys I know one works. You will need all these before the tower buy the pool opens. Save youre Invis potion. The Mystery man is tough. Beat him while you are Invis.

thanks ive been at this for a while. thats all i needed.
    I am not 18, but am a dude. My friends call me the Comp Dude.

--Chris

I was wrong . the talisman of air is in the room with no door handle.
    Earth is....Go to the library,in a room off the side there is a switch that opens a bookshelf
    use the Masters key go in.
    Hit the throne room
    ( Garret Comments ) Pick the lock behind the throne. A new door opens, dispose of the guards,pick the lock behind the alter. That opens the safe.
    Yay Earth Talisman!!!
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 18th Mar 2013 at 12:30. Reason: added

I just have a question, and thought to post here instead of creating another topic...Where is the fire talisman? I have all the other talismans, but I cant find the fire one...

[ July 07, 2001: Message edited by: Deep Shadow ]

What difficulty level are you playing on? It makes a difference in this one. For Easy and Hard -
    Spoiler:
    It's in the room on the upper floor next to the talisman room.

Expert hint -
    Spoiler:
    There is a small library room down the hall from the library. There is a note over the table. You have to do what it says. If you want a real spoiler, read the next hidden section.

Spoiler -
    Spoiler:
    You need to find a book on the shelves that you can pick up. I think it is to your left just as you enter the door. Take the book and place it on the centre of the table just below the note asking about where the book is. That opens a secret door.

[ July 08, 2001: Message edited by: Nightwalker ]

Thanks...I was playing on expert. I just beat it, and I have to say its the hardest and most enjoyable FM I've played so far.

Yes, one of my personal favorites (as you can see on my review.)
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 28th Feb 2013 at 12:15. Reason: added link to review

Mystery Man - Holy Water / Poison

These are mentioned respectively in the letter on Hector's desk and the journal with the skelton crying help me in the tower. But I just can't find any sign of it in Hector's room in either Taffer (Normal) or Garrett (Expert). Haven't been able to kill the mystery man in Expert yet. One of the disadvantages I'm finding with Thief (as opposed to Thief II) is that I can't configure the speed potion. Sure would come in handy when you're forced to stand right up to the last message before you can read it. Talk about being vulnerable and having invisibility potion in expert(as far as I can tell). I was zapped half dead before I could even turn around. Maybe Garrett should retire.

---------------------------------------------

Fabulous mission Doaal. Great Architecture and story line. I recognize those zombies from MOC. You have a devious mind. Strange hiding places for loot, too. There's one that can only be accessed if you have a fire arrow else you can't get close enough to pick the lock. And blackjacking 8 guards at the front door was a real treat. Loved getting all that loot even if I was over 2000 short of max. Would have been nice to have been able to use some of it to buy some more flash bombs etc. in expert. Never found Jerrich, Drake or Talbot either.

Had a funny experience in Normal, when I got to the zombar laying outside the entrance to the tower's trigger gate it went inside instead of coming after me and the gate came down with me on the wrong side. Good in that I was still alive ... not so good in that I wasn't able to finish the Mission during that play.

To answer your question, I removed the "poison" because of a weird bug involving the MM.

As for the gate closing, I did have a few strange experiences like that. Sometimes the boundstrigger wouldn't work, other times it would. Very strange...

Mystery Man - I'm stuck!

** SPOILER WARNING IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THE LEVEL **

I played Mystery Man til midnight last night and another hour today and I'm stuck - this is a very hard (although fun) level.

I'm playing on Rogue (medium difficulty) level. I got Dana's Heart (an objective) and I got 3000 gold (an objective). Haven't reached any of the other objectives (and further, I'm all out of arrows and at low health).

OK, here's some details:

I've made it to the 3rd floor and managed to
    find Lan's body giving me access to the treasury (Dana's Heart) and the other treasury (some goodies). I also went through everything I could on the third floor and got the crystal shard and found the "whispering exit" from the art gallery leading me to the lab (and climbed a ladder to main lab). I also got the Earth Talisman but no other Talismans (and I don't think I found the place where you use the talismans to open the access to the West Tower).

Questions:

What do I do in the lab?

It's clear that I'm supposed to do something in the dining room (references to a golden plate, Garrett says "what's that sound" as you enter, references to people cleaning their plates then disappearing from the dining room). What am I supposed to do to find a passageway from the dining room (I did find the two treasure chests hidden behind the banners)?

How do I either get access to (Tal-something or other's room, the room Mortimer (sp?) had the "upper floor" key for, the room whose locked door is next to the room with the window opposite the library with a window (both of which overlook the "back gate" area)?

How do I get access beyond where you see a sign "Absolutely no one beyond this point", climb a stairs, and immediately encounter a locked door? (I can't open this door.)

In the main library on the second floor, there's an office. A switch in the office opens a secret door that goes a short distance to a locked door. What do I need to do to get through this door? (I can't open this door.)

THANKS!!!!!!!

Pete James - love those Thief/Thief2 FMs!

Some spoilers...

Spoiler:
    There's not much to do in the lab, it's just there to enhance the story.

As for the dining room, try looking around the mansion for Alexei's plate. Then go back and re-read the book in the kitchen.

Try finding the upper floor key first... examine the room on the eastern upper floors with the fireplace very carefully.

Same thing for the door that says
    "Absolutely no one allowed beyond this point"

OK, those suggestions worked. Thanks.

Now I'm doing battle with the Master and I can't see any way to destroy him. Books note that Hector has holy water - I haven't found any and I also haven't found any "baptismal fonts" as seen in Thief to convert water arrows into holy water arrows. If I get close to the Master and attack with my sword, that does seem to have an effect, but his attacks are way to fast and I'm dead very quickly. Is there a puzzle here I'm missing? (Also, I tried playing with the Golden Skull from Hector's room - in some FMs the Golden Skulls act as mines to kill undead - but this one doesn't seem to have an effect on the Master.)

Any help appreciated - great mission!

Spoiler:
    You need to get out of his sight quickly. If you look at the far ends of the walkway with the book on it, you'll see wooden ceilings over a drop down to the next level. Plant a rope arrow in one of them for a quick getaway. Read the book, get down to the lower level and as far away into the shadows as possible. Wait for the Master to settle down, then sneak up and backstab him. He's easy to kill then.

Thanks! That worked! Great Level!

Where is the special plate in Mystery Man?

I've read on other posts that one needs to toss a gold plate into the kitchen sink in order to get the water talisman. I think I've cleared all the gold stuff off the dining room table and I have no special "gold plate" in my inventory. Any help would be appreciated! Great mission, BTW!
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 9th Mar 2013 at 13:20. Reason: added spoiler cover

You really need to state what difficulty level you are playing on, because the plate location varies.

For Easy :
    Spoiler:
    It's on the table in the dining room.

For Expert :
    Spoiler:
    It's in a chest in Alexi's room.

I'm not sure about Hard, but I think it might be the same as expert.

Thanks Nightwalker, I'll look around for that special room!

"Mirror of Truth" in Mystery Man?

What the blank do I do to penetrate the so-called mirror of truth? Is the paper on the wall some overly-cryptic clue that I'm just not interpreting correctly? Thanks for any help you can offer!

I'm going to give you a hint: Look at the 2 torches then turn and look again in the mirror. Don't they look different?

Now try to figure out what to do.

Thanks RofB, I did what I had to do and finished the mission! And what a great FM it is!

More Mystery Man help...Please.

I have the water and air talisman and as far as I can tell, I have cleaned the place out (somewhere around 8 or 9 THOUSAND loot).

I have not figured out what to do with the book on the desk below the note which I assume opens a secret passage in the bookcase.

There is also a suspicious looking bookcase in the hallway off one of the rooms to the library. I pulled a lever to open one bookcase, then there was a locked door, now I am in a room with a bookcase that is begging to be opened. I have the upper floor key and the master key. Now what?

There is also a set of Double doors in the pool area with voices from behind them that I cannot enter. I just killed Talbot, but still only have 2 talismans.

Thanks abunch for help.

This is a great mission!

[ July 21, 2001: Message edited by: Huckeye ]

Whether or not you have to do anything with the book in the small library depends on what difficulty level you are playing on. If you are on Expert, find the book and do what the note says. Otherwise, just ignore that room.

As for the other -
    Spoiler:
    I presume you have been in the throne room, down by where the bookcase you are seeing is? Go in and check behind the throne. After that, you need to get the fire talisman to proceed. If you are on Expert, do the thing with the book (You will find it in the small library on the shelves. If you are on the easier difficulties, you need to go up the stairs by the upper dining room to the Talisman room, and go into the room next to it. You can't get in the double doors by the pool until you have done everything else.

Oh, and that's not anywhere near all the loot. This place is packed. I've found over 13,000 and I still haven't even come close to getting it all. Keep looking.
    [ July 21, 2001: Message edited by: Nightwalker ]

[ July 21, 2001: Message edited by: Nightwalker ]

Thanks for the help. I searched all over the place for that stinking thing. I spent several minutes in that room alone looking for the book before you assured me that it was in there.

Mystery man help

Okay, I'm about ready to give up. I have everything except the fire talisman and fireplace poker. Also, I can't figure out how to deal with the gold vase in the art room to activate the exit.
    A few hints or even spoilers would make my day. This is a super mission and I'd really like to finish it.

Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141924 ... LastLast