TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Thief Has Been Dishonored

Quote Originally Posted by jtr7 View Post
    Hysteria is hysterical! No one's immune!

No, Leo, the engine's not open source.
    Okay, just talked to this friend and he claims it was word of mouth at E3. To quote him:
    "Don't have a source at hand, I just heard it vocally. They want devs to explore their engine that they use for future next gen. It was an enhanced version though since it was used on Watch Dogs. I don't remember what the engine is called."

Which I think it's the Disrupt engine, but this is all hearsay so I wouldn't take any of that to heart.

Moderator and Priest
    No. EM has been very public about using UE3 practically since the day it was announced. You can tell they're using it by the screenshots alone. It has that very crisp, saturated, Rendered By Unreal Engine look to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    No. EM has been very public about using UE3 practically since the day it was announced. You can tell they're using it by the screenshots alone. It has that very crisp, saturated, Rendered By Unreal Engine look to it.
    Just to clarify, I am in no way getting my hopes up. I've read through countless forums on this and let go of anything open source a long time ago. I just wanted to re-verify the facts were still the same.

Moderator and Priest
    Yup. Hate to disappoint you, but open source it is not. Though there is a slight possibility you could use the UDK to edit and tweak the game, I wouldn't hold my breath.

But if you do want an open source Thief experience, you can always hit up The Dark Mod. They're very near to releasing it as a completely standalone game, rather than a conversion for Doom 3.

Yup. Hate to disappoint you, but open source it is not. Though there is a slight possibility you could use the UDK to edit and tweak the game, I wouldn't hold my breath.

But if you do want an open source Thief experience, you can always hit up The Dark Mod. They're very near to releasing it as a completely standalone game, rather than a conversion for Doom 3.
    I'm eagerly waiting on that. Don't let my join date fool you. I've been taffin' since '98!

The Dark Mod looks increasingly to be our last, best hope for thievery.

... you can always hit up The Dark Mod. They're very near to releasing it as a completely standalone game, rather than a conversion for Doom 3.
    That will be a marvelous thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    The Dark Mod looks increasingly to be our last, best hope for thievery.
    The Dark Mod is the true Thief sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivian View Post
    OH MY GOD JTR7 DID YOU JUST ACKNOWLEDGE MY EXISTENCE
    Hello? Anyone there?

Musta' been imagining things.

Quote Originally Posted by Zewp View Post
    The Dark Mod is the true Thief sequel.
    I enjoyed The Dark Mod - but no, not even close.

Speaking of that, I thought the plastic look of T4's surfaces was not too far away from The DarkMod's plastic-like surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyJack View Post
    I enjoyed The Dark Mod - but no, not even close.
    Which FMs did you play and when?

Quote Originally Posted by Beleg Cúthalion View Post
    Speaking of that, I thought the plastic look of T4's surfaces was not too far away from The DarkMod's plastic-like surfaces.
    What version did you play and when?

Classical Master 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Beleg Cúthalion View Post
    Quit wearing a plastic bag over your head when playing these games, problem solved.

Maybe Jenivere died and he named his beloved bird after her as kind of an homage or something. Who knows what the reason is behind it.

My question is why do we have to assume EM is an absolute idiot over everything they do? THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND US AND HERE'S MORE PROOF WE MADE UP!
    I can grant that is possible, but I am basing my view on what is more likely. EM is proving themselves to be stupid... it's just too obvious, and I am a realist.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by antihero276 View Post
    I can grant that is possible, but I am basing my view on what is more likely. EM is proving themselves to be stupid... it's just too obvious, and I am a realist.
    Right. They're so stupid, they can't spend 5 minutes hitting up the Thief wiki to figure out Jenivere is Basso's wife, so they just made up a bird character because they had to do something with the name.

DAARRR STEPHANE ROOOYYY! WHAT WE DOOOO DAY? WE MAKE THIEF LIKE SHOOTER GO BOOM BOOM BANG? HOKAY!

DAARRR STEPHANE ROOOYYY! WHAT WE DOOOO DAY? WE MAKE THIEF LIKE SHOOTER GO BOOM BOOM BANG? HOKAY!
    Overall I give this one a 5. Some of your previous work had much more vigor, and had achieved scores such as 6 and 7, even an 8. Step it up, you are losing steam!

jtr7
    The flipside to the question is exactly what we think of you, Renz'. Why do lying moneymongers get worshiped by people like you and they can do no wrong in your eyes?

And Basso's gained weight, went bald, dyed his hair, and changed his voice and accent and manner of dress, 'cause Garrett hooked him up with the best Keepers as they fled The City's witchhunting and put him effectively into their witness protection program for Glyphless Keepers and their associates. It's easy to make up crap, but we're supposed to believe you can't figure out the simple extrapolation of observed data, while you try and pull it on us with only a fraction of the huge datapool we've provided you for months for free?

It's educated guess versus pure fanon for fun or spite.

They've changed the story and the characters greatly and only kept pronouns here and there, so I don't know why it's such a stretch to assume damn near nothing's the same or been retained at all on most levels. Give 'em your money! Pre-Order your latest addiction, now! It's excellent sight unseen! Damned gamer crack for the kiddie-brained.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoon Dawn View Post
    Overall I give this one a 5. Some of your previous work had much more vigor, and had achieved scores such as 6 and 7, even an 8. Step it up, you are losing steam!
    Eh. I'm getting kinda bored.

Truth be told, new Thief is just looking...alright. It's nowhere near as terrible as you all are making it out to be, but it hasn't exactly blown my mind yet, either. Right now, it's just looking decent enough to get by. Some things are good, some weird, some bad. It's an odd jumble of a lot of things.

Mix this with the constant, never ending, extreme negativity that goes on around here, and it starts wearing you down after awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by jtr7 View Post
    The flipside to the question is exactly what we think of you, Renz'. Why do lying moneymongers get worshiped by people like you and they can do no wrong in your eyes?
    Fett was right. You sound like Rush Limbaugh when he's talking about Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by sterlino View Post
    it's incredible and shocking how this was SO TRUE.

Aside from the saving thing.
    We now know the game is checkpoint-based, and that the player is unable to save at will. Which is perhaps the blackest mark against Thief 4 yet.

Checkpoints? In a stealth game? In 2013?
    And this is a next-gen exclusive?

it starts wearing you down after awhile.
    Calm thyself brother.

Novice, hast thou found thyself to have fallen upon hard times? Is thy soul weary and tired? Perhaps the time is nearing when thou shalt dare upon The Cloister and be reborn. I harken unto thine fearful heart! *thump* *THUMP* *thump* The forces from the great beyond have spoken to me, and they have told me that thy glorious destiny is to re-install Thief: The Dark Project and to play through to at the very least The Cloister, wherein thou shalt find thy redemption from thy horrid sin.

A Hammer's Benediction To You

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Spandex View Post
    Aside from the saving thing.
    We now know the game is checkpoint-based, and that the player is unable to save at will.
    Evidence please.

Southquarter.com/fms

Disappointing. I don't see any other load options, besides the last checkpoint - you can't even load 2-3 or more checkpoint back. Thief is typically such an experimental game where you try all sorts of unconventional stuff, it's a shame we won't be able to save/load from anywhere. It also is a strong indicator that the game will be somewhat linear, at least in parts. Yet, this could change, so take it with a grain of salt for now. But it is kind of the way of the console these days.

Right. They're so stupid, they can't spend 5 minutes hitting up the Thief wiki to figure out Jenivere is Basso's wife, so they just made up a bird character because they had to do something with the name.

Now its already confirmed that headshots WITH xp gains are in the game . I wonder if Garrett will run faster with the blackjack ready like you could with the knife in Counterstrike. That would just be so COOL.

jtr7
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic
    it starts wearing you down after awhile.
    Once again, you know how we feel without acknowledging it, without accepting it's the same for all of us, but from our own vantage points grounded in our own lives.

Thief has been Dishonored, Assassin's Creed'ed, Tomb Raider'd, (I cut the list short here), rebooted in every way people generally dislike reboots, but with all the f***ed up excuses for just bending over and taking it like it's inevitable and idiotically as if there's no other way, and we are all obligated to thank them very hard and monetarily for their glorious contribution to our worlds. It's the new religiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoon Dawn View Post
    It could merely be an in-Mission reload screen. Im sure there would be a "master" save game screen. lol
    Checkpoint saves seem to be the industry standard these days and I honestly don't understand it. Bioshock Infinite employed this, as a recent example. So many nights where I just wanted to save and go to bed but NO! I had to make sure an autosave occurred. Sigh.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast