TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Thief2 Lost Alpha Demo & TDP unified Demo

Zombified

Thief2 Lost Alpha Demo & TDP unified Demo

these are the original free demos for Thief2 and Thief1, updated to work properly on modern computers:

Thief2 Lost Alpha Demo v1.13
    Thief the Dark Project unified Demo v1.13

I have been playing with something for the last couple of months, and I believe it's ready for a release. so, without further ado, I present to you;
    ======================
    Thief2 Lost Alpha Demo
    ======================

This is the barely finished alpha version of the Life of the Party mission from Thief2 that has been released by LGS a long time ago as Thief2 demo "Unwelcome Guest". The demo was using an early version of the Thief2 Dark Engine which was much less compatible with new PCs than the final version used for the full game, and thus the demo has not been playable for many years now, becoming "lost" to the gaming world. With the release of NewDark, it's become possible to convert the assets, and get the demo into a working condition. Potential new players can now have a taste of both Thief2 and NewDark in one bite before heading to GOG or Steam to get the full course, and oldtimers will probably enjoy the special alpha flavor this old forgotten place provides. A few rudimentary fixes were applied to some broken assets, and NewSky, hires textures (various texture packs available at TTLG) and objects (EP) have been added as well. Rename the "hires" folder to something else to go full retro (warning, some of those original resources really are alpha, so be prepared to meet AIs with no noses and similar).

note: compatible with EP2 and NecroAge hires texture packs - just drop the pack of your choice into the root T2demo folder.

===================
    System requirements
    ===================

Minimum: any PC that can run winXP decently, a fully DX9 compatible graphics card
    Recommended: any PC that can run win7 decently, a fully DX10+ compatible graphics card

===========
    Legal stuff
    ===========

This demo is not supported by anyone, use at your own risk. The original resources are property of LGS, the new resources belong to whoever made them. Feel free to mirror the demo, or to further modify the resources.

=========
    Thanks to
    =========

Everybody who had helped with the conversion, also to all those who keep releasing hires textures, objects etc. And, of course, special thanks to our mysterious black feathered friend out there, without him, this conversion would not be possible at all. Hope he is enjoying a nice slice of cheese, sitting on a tree branch somewhere.

also adding Thief the Dark Project unified demo;
    Thief the Dark Project unified demo includes both free demos of TDP that were released by LGS, the NewDark engine update, some updated resources, and fixes for a couple of minor issues. The levels have also been relit and dousable candles have been implemented. This is as much free TDP as you can get in one easy package.

enjoy.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 6th Apr 2016 at 16:10.

Yay, some more good news \o/

Well I didn't even know this demo had more trouble than other stuff running on recent hardware... been quite a while since I last played it ^^'

Edit : I am asked to authenticate with my google account to download, is that normal ?

Zombified
    nope, you should be able to download right away. try another browser. //ok, seems like you really have to be signed in. this is something new, maybe google has added it recently. hope someone mirrors it soon.

What a treat - thank you to anyone/everyone involved. Download is working fine for me.

Edit. I seem to be signed in automatically so . . .

OK, it works with IE9 but for some reason, not with Firefox 17.0.6 ESR, even if I disable AdBlock and NoScript

Edit : damn, looks like it's only a problem on my side... works with the same browser in a virtual machine but without extension/add-on.
    Last edited by Constance; 13th Jun 2013 at 16:47.

Zombified
    looks like MS was right all along - explorer is the bestestest browser in the entire universe.

It's a bit of an oddity too but I read today that there's a Walkthrough for Dockland at the Circle which is unavailable in Firefox but available in IE. Weird.

Southquarter.com/fms
    This looks pretty cool, thanks for the release: Here's a mirror:

Thief2 Lost Alpha Demo

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    First, thanks so much for doing this, I can't wait to play it - Unwelcome Guest was the first thing Thief I ever played.

Second, any reason to use .7z other than a smaller archive? Because I don't believe DarkLoader will work with 7zip, will it?

Southquarter.com/fms
    @Yandros - The package is standalone, you don't need Thief or Darkloader or anything else.

The demo is really cool - for anyone who thinks this is just Life of the Party repackaged, don't dismiss it, you'll definitely want to check it out. I don't think I've played it for about 10 years or so, but right from the beginning, you'll notice the mission is very different from the standard LOTP. And it's got it's own unique briefing as well.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Oh wow, well major kudos to voodoo then for pulling this off! Hopefully I'll actually have some free time this weekend to play it!

By the way, is it just me or is there a problem with rope arrows ? Even though we start with 5 of them and even though I checked / changed my shortcut key to them multiple times, I can't seem to activate them as my currently equipped "weapon".

Edit : works with the "next/previous weapon" keys, but not the direct shortcut.

Interesting.
    I just checked and extracted it. And played it without any customization.
    8 worked right-away although it doesn't appear to be configured for the Rope/Vine arrows.
    As soon as you bind 8 to that, it will not work anymore.

QUICK FIX:

open user.bnd and change back
    bind 8 "inv_select ropeyarrow"
    to
    bind 8 "inv_select ropearrow"

This only restores the function of the 8 key, but the binding will remain invisible in the customization screen.

-------------------------------------------------

EXPERT-answer to the problem above:

resfix\intrface\BNDCMDS.str should be adjusted as well for consistency.
    bindcmd_39: "inv_select ropeyarrow"
    should actually read
    bindcmd_39: "inv_select ropearrow"

With that the customization screen would properly accept the keybinding and the game will use it.
    Last edited by gnartsch; 14th Jun 2013 at 18:16.

Thanks a lot :]
    My keyboard has a french layout so I didn't even try to play without modifying the key bindings first.

I haven't installed it, yet, but isn't it possible to copy one's standard Thief 2 keyboard config file into it to get your accustomed config?

No. That's exactly the problem here.
    Even though it is running NewDark, the game is aware that it is supposed to run Thief1 and not Thief2.
    Specifically that rope arrow key-binding is named differently in Thief2 (ropeyarrow as opposed to ropearrow).
    And since the T2-demo was based on the original Thief1 engine, it requires the Thief1 naming.
    Well, something like that.... I don't understand it exactly, since cam.cfg specifies it is T2.
    At any rate this upgraded demo is not exactly like Thief2.
    But I would not be surprised if the Thief1 bindings were even less compatible with this early alpha demo version if you simply copied them.
    I am sure voodoo47 sorted this out as good as possible already and just missed this little difference.

EDIT: One weird thing also is the fact that the Rope-Arrows show up between Blackjack and Sword if you cycle through your weapons ingame.
    I wonder if voodoo47 did some 'hacking' in order to bring these arrows back to life while he was porting it.
    Last edited by gnartsch; 14th Jun 2013 at 19:36.

This was great to play thru!! I had the same problem with rope arrows I just used the next/previous keys to get to them. To get to the Mechs. Palace/Building from a different direction was cool.

Thank you voodoo47!! Great playthru.

Zombified
    actually, I did not mess with the controls - the default layout seemed to work, so I did not try to tweak it. the different weapon cycling is a demo gamesys thing, original I believe - not sure how to fix it.

//anyway, the issue with not being able to rebind the rope arrow is serious enough to warrant a hotfix (thanks gnartsch): link added to the first post. to all those who have created mirrors - please update them as well (I count only one so far, so it shouldn't be a big deal).
    Last edited by voodoo47; 3rd Mar 2016 at 16:04.

what do i use to open the file? i got win7

Zombified
    7zip.

Take the Snd.crf from this and put it into Thief 1. Play the Bafford mission. (This is untouched right?)

Zombified
    yeah, untouched. tried it just now, heh.

bikerdude
    Whats the status on the textures used in this demo, were they opart of it or did voodoo put them to be used with newdark..?

Zombified
    everything in the hires folder is extra, everything in res is orig.

I played this yesterday. Excellent work. The new textures really bring new life and depth to the game.

I particularly liked my entrance into Angelwatch. I took the high entrance via

spoiler:
    the ladders to the Great Room. I could see the exit off the last ladder was going to be loud so I sent some moss up to cushion my tap shoes. I did my eavesdropping on Girk and Villinus while I readied my supply of sleepy arrows. As they began to part I loosed one to the floor between them, then to the lone female and then to the couple to the right. Quickly I entered the room heeding not my loud footsteps for the bodies needed moving ere they be discovered. I was doing well and had one more body to stash when a fat man in a purple and blue suit stumbled upon my dastardly doings. He screamed and ran and I had but moments to act. I circled around the fountain to gain line of sight of the door and notched yet another sleepy arrow at the frightened noble pansy. My aim was true and the arrow sailed through the door only a fraction of a second before it closed behind him. I sprinted after my purple buddy and was quite satisfied to find him on the floor at the top of the steps. With the haste of a hunted animal I scooped up the man in and placed him in the shadows.

"Now onto my dark business...."

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast