TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Monster Arena (T2 FM) - Released July 30th, 2013

Monster Arena (T2 FM) - Released July 30th, 2013

I'm happy to announce, after much testing with a friend (and sometimes by myself using a laptop and a desktop computer)...

MONSTER ARENA

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monsterarena.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	469.0 KB 
ID:	1748

Download:

Version 1.1 - Dropbox

Description:

Monster Arena is a multiplayer co-op oriented Thief 2 1.18 mission. You can play it alone, but I highly recommend playing it with others. After all, that was the focus of this mission. Play with up to four players in an arena style mission in which you battle mechanists, guards, and zombies. Despite the title of this mission, only a portion of the mission actually has "monsters." I guess I could have thought of another name like Creature Arena or some such, but I like how Monster Arena sounds.

For Your Information:

As mentioned before, this is a mission intended for multiplayer using Tos' Thief 2 Multiplayer version 218 patch.

I cannot stress this enough: This mission requires Thief 2 1.18 in order to run.

Unfortunately, it is not compatible with NewDark, so you must have 1.18 for this mission to work. (Unless you plan on playing singleplayer, then it should probably work, but it has not been tested for NewDark.)

Additionally, I really recommend you read the readme before beginning. If you find it too TL;DR, at least check out the red notes and the KNOWN BUGS section.

Don't yet have the Thief 2 Multiplayer Patch?

If you're new to the whole multiplayer thing and want to give it a shot (again, this mission is really intended for 2 or more players.. You can have up to 4) you can find the patch over at the Thief General Discussion forum in the thread Thief 2 Multiplayer Beta Released. I posted some mirrors to download the multiplayer patch in there on the last page as of this writing.
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 4th Aug 2013 at 01:25. Reason: Changed title of thread.

Clearinghouse
    Congratulations on the release
    Mirror.

Sounds amazing! Congrats on the release!

Congrats on the release!

I have a problem, though. I tried both OldDark & NewDark in single player mode.
    How to get the gear from the crate? It frobs, but I can not get it

Quote Originally Posted by gnartsch View Post
    Congrats on the release!

I have a problem, though. I tried both OldDark & NewDark in single player mode.
    How to get the gear from the crate? It frobs, but I can not get it
    I have the same problem.

Oh no, I am so sorry! It works in multiplayer... This is my fault. Unfortunately, this means that in order to fix it I will have to break it again for multiplayer. Which means, I think, that only the Host (person making the server) can use the gear.

I'll update the first post with new file.

Well, you can still kill the boss through the gate with fire-arrows, ... or whatever ranged weapons you have.
    Maybe simply place a duplicate next to the gear ? One that does not work in multiplayer, but in single-player?
    A bit confusing... I guess... but at the end it might work both ways.

True, but I thought he'd come chasing after you once you started doing that. I must not have put enough light in the passageway.

That is an idea, but I've already uploaded v1.1. But yeah, that would be confusing. I guess a possible solution could be to create a fourth difficulty level (not really sure how to go about doing this) and make it be a singleplayer compatible difficulty.

In any case, I hope there are some folks out there that will give this a shot in multiplayer. Remember, you can get the download links for multiplayer over in Thief General Discussion.

Thanks for the update!
    For clarity please indicate in the first post which version is MP and which is SP,
    and a link to the MP version would help to avoid confusion as well.

There actually isn't two versions, sorry if I confused anyone. I simply updated monster arena to 1.1 and replaced the link. Now, if you think it's a good idea to keep both up for download, then I'd be happy to do so and clarify the difference.

So, has anyone played this yet in multiplayer?

Congrats on the release

Cool! Had no trouble playing. Everything worked perfectly with just a single player.....me...
    Wondering: At the beginning, I b.j. the guard walking around the perimeter. When I tried to move his body, which didn't display, he suddenly got up and continued walking. I took a double-take.
    Fun, short game which wasn't at all boring or tedious. Played in New Dark.

Great, I'm happy that you enjoyed it.

As for the mechanist, that's odd. Just to make sure we're on the same page, did he appear right where you were at? The patrolling mechanist is supposed to naturally re-appear a little bit after being knocked out/killed. Also, you shouldn't be able to pick him up after being knocked out either. Looks like you may have discovered a bug

FireMage and I played through this together! It was easy with two people, and lots of fun. We developed strategies. Toward the end, though, I died and momentarily left him all alone to fight the boss. I respawned and ran as fast as I could to his cry of "help!" only to find him surrounded by zombies and the boss. I busted out the holy water arrows and saved his life!

DromEd Archmage
    Yes, running desperately with 2 lifes left with a boss in the back! XD

I ran as fast as I could! It's not my fault the explosion killed me on impact! It was pretty funny to see you running in circles, though.

Glad you had fun, but I had worried it might be too difficult or too easy. Hitting that perfect balance is hard when developing for multiplayer. Also, I wasn't able to test with four players, which undoubtedly would have made the mission even easier. Looks like it was more on the easy side than the hard side. I don't know what difficulty level you played though, which changes objectives/AI a little bit.

DromEd Archmage
    It's a slaughtery mission, change nothing or extend it
    The mission is good as it is. The only problem is that it's too short.
    The difficulty depend on your fighting skills, your number and the place.
    Because I'm used to fight with my sword thanks to Overlord's Ending, I killed the mecanists quickly.
    Although, It was hard to deal with the archers and guards...
    About the end, the zombies are not very dangerous because they are slow. The appar was otherwise not easy to kill with the wraith.

IMO, it's balanced, I was just expected to something longer, when I was in the caves, I thunk that it would be as Songs of the Caverns with Craymen, and when I saw the portal, expected to be teleported into a kind of dungeon with loot, traps and creatures (undead or pagan).
    I think that I ask for an extending version for long games!

I WISH you would make a version for new dark...as I do not want to "downgrade" my game just to ply this one FM!

I would have to totally delete everything and load thief on there again, just for one FM.

Most FM's now are made for new dark. They simply run better on modern computers!

@webe123:
    First of all, you can have two installs of thief 2 on your machine. Heck, I have four installs of thief 2. Two for making missions, and two for actually playing the game.

Second, unfortunately I couldn't make this for NewDark because the multiplayer patch does not work with NewDark. Otherwise I would have, believe me. Now, you could try it in NewDark if you want, but I don't know if it will work since it was made for Thief 2 v1.18

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    @webe123:
    First of all, you can have two installs of thief 2 on your machine. Heck, I have four installs of thief 2. Two for making missions, and two for actually playing the game.

Second, unfortunately I couldn't make this for NewDark because the multiplayer patch does not work with NewDark. Otherwise I would have, believe me. Now, you could try it in NewDark if you want, but I don't know if it will work since it was made for Thief 2 v1.18
    I keep ONE version that I have of thief 2. Sorry, but that is how it will stay.

I guess I will not be playing this one.

DromEd Archmage
    Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    you could try it in NewDark if you want, but I don't know if it will work since it was made for Thief 2 v1.18
    No worries, all missions that I've tried made for 1.18 with NewDark works, so It must work. (as Single Player Mission, of course...^^)

Otherwise, the invert don't work...
    So with the MP game you can play missions made for 1.18 only... And use 1.18 dromed too if you want to create MP mission...

Quote Originally Posted by FireMage View Post
    No worries, all missions that I've tried made for 1.18 with NewDark works, so It must work. (as Single Player Mission, of course...^^)

Otherwise, the invert don't work...
    So with the MP game you can play missions made for 1.18 only... And use 1.18 dromed too if you want to create MP mission...
    Yeah you are right, I tried single player and it DOES work in newdark 1.21 after all.

NOW...a question....

I have the gear, but DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH IT! There is no way to use it on the brick door. And I do not see anyplace to place it. WHERE is the unlock mechanisim you place the gear key in? I am where the soliders are that has a balcony and has a generator on the bottom. It has Area 411 above a large door. But I have been all over this area and no sign of a gear insert to open the brick door with!
    Last edited by webe123; 10th Aug 2013 at 21:25.

Just get over to the other side, in the guard area ..... get to the other side and look for a unlit torch.
    Last edited by Gloria Creep; 10th Aug 2013 at 22:55.
    There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria Creep View Post
    Just get over to the other side, in the guard area ..... get to the other side and look for a unlit torch.

Thanks gloria creep for anyone else having the same problem, it is The unlit torch directly across from the brick door.