TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: 48HC: Canvassing the Neighborhood - 2013-08-13

48HC: Canvassing the Neighborhood - 2013-08-13

48 Hour Contest Entry: "Canvassing the Neighborhood"

Contest Description
    The 48 hour contest challenged authors to create an entire mission start to finish in a single 48 hour period. Entries may have bugs or may be unfinished in different aspects.

Author: Withheld

Mission description
    I've always wanted to try my luck at the Langstrom Art Museum, and since I have nothing better to do tonight, I'm going to go slip in later this evening and make off with as much artwork as I can. The Langstrom is known for its collections of paintings depicting historical events and landscapes, but the most famous collection is the set of portraits which reside in the three-story circular Great Gallery. I plan to stuff as many canvases into a big sack as I can - but that load means I have to pack light. I figure with all the tile floors, the best thing to take is a handful of moss arrows, and I'll have to leave everything else behind. That's okay, though - my sneaking skills can always use a bit of polishing.

Download
    SouthQuarter

Southquarter.com/fms
    As any one else getting this? When I steal a painting, there's always another painting underneath, and it's always the same one.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    As any one else getting this? When I steal a painting, there's always another painting underneath, and it's always the same one.
    Yeah, that happened when I half inched the items in question. (Maybe it's just a way to show what's been, er, borrowed? ... ? Dunno!)

I don't get that - there's a mesh underneath for me.

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    Same as nickie.
    The mission looks great, some nice behavior from the AIs, but everything is twice bigger than it should be. The painting are too high, the corridors are too wide, the ceiling is too high... I feel like Garrett became a dwarf or something

Maybe it's the child Garrett - practising.

Very moody! Nice textures.
    But as DrK, I feel a bit tiny.

DromEd Archmage
    This one was visually good... But paradoxally, Giant and Tiny at the same time!

It didn't look like a museum alas, and the guards are useless, each time they heard me, they rush I dunno where and I never saw them later...
    But It was an easy job so, not very unpleasant!

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by FireMage View Post
    the guards are useless, each time they heard me, they rush I dunno where and I never saw them later...
    I followed one to see, and they run to a light switch and turn on some of the lights that are off, then go into search mode.

DromEd Archmage
    Ha! Okay, I understand now why the map became suddenly more unlighted. I though it was due to the time or if you stole an amount of paintings.
    Although, that made the guards totaly unharmed because they investigate far away, or when they come back, you have already left the area. Plus, the corridors are large so they can't see you if you stay sticked against the walls even if you're running on tiles...

Very simple and straightforward.

I had a lot of fun just letting the guards chase me as I grabbed paintings.

Mission finished

Nice museum, with beautifull textures, the corridors are a bit large and very high, but the biggest problem here is that the paintings are above the level of the player eyesight, i feel like a kid or a dwarf looking up and trying with some difficult to see what´s represented in the painting, I would strongly recomend to update this mission in order to lower the position of the paintings to be aligned with the player eyesight, that way the picture becomes more clear...anyway nice mission...thanks

I like the concept of this =) A little too easy on Normal, though. I recognize this was done in less than 2 days, though I do wish there were more to the mission... a secret leading to some actual loot or something? Still, good work overall!

The thing I like about this one is how polished it all looks. I know it's lacking a bit gameplay wise, but it's still cool that someone could turn out something that looks this good in 48 hours. Unlike some of the others, there are no bugs, no missing textures, no unfinished areas, etc. Perhaps it comes down to a choice on the author's part as to what they wanted to spend their limited time on.

I enjoyed this mission. It was complete. I liked the simplicity, it was like a little gem all wrapped up.

thank You for the mission. Little bit disappointed by it but its 48h time only. An alarm or any security system will do nice addition to it. Nice ai behavior with guards running to the light switch first. For some reason in a half mission objective time i wanted to scream lights on i am here catch me if You can. It should be the first Fm for "rednecks" to make them get in touch with some culture. . I think it is a good base for making really interesting an challenging FM. Lots of picture enjoyed to watch them from a distance once again Thank You.

Very good mission would be a great addition to something larger!!

P.S. how many painting are there I got 59

There is at least one more because I got 60.

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    Same as nickie.
    The mission looks great, some nice behavior from the AIs, but everything is twice bigger than it should be. The painting are too high, the corridors are too wide, the ceiling is too high... I feel like Garrett became a dwarf or something
    Same thing for me and I just realized after playing all the FMs for this contest, I reloaded my PC and cannot find the 1.19 to 1.21 new dark upgrade..... Anyhow, it is a beautiful mission. I am getting another copy of the painting after stealing them. I agree with Drk, the textures are large and Garrett looks dwarf-ish. Still nice work in 48 hours.

This mission is very simple but the looks of it is really nice. I would love to see a more serious one with these kind of textures and lightning.