TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 48HC: The Cash Box - 2013-08-13

48HC: The Cash Box - 2013-08-13

48 Hour Contest Entry: "The Cash Box"

Contest Description
    The 48 hour contest challenged authors to create an entire mission start to finish in a single 48 hour period. Entries may have bugs or may be unfinished in different aspects.

Author: Withheld

Mission description
    A mysterious benefactor has hired me to break into an abandoned warehouse and steal an item located in the office safe. The only problem? He didn't tell me what that item is.
    But for what he's paying me, he doesn't have to.

Download
    SouthQuarter

Note: You must install TnhScript to view readables.
    Last edited by AntiMatter_16; 14th Aug 2013 at 15:30.

Just finished. This one was a bit on the tough side, especially considering how fast it was made and how small it was. It took me a while to figure out how to get out alive and I'm not sure I did what was intended. My solution involved a lot of crate stacking. I'm not much of a fan of undead and especially not a fan of invisible enemies and yet I really had fun in this one. Mostly because it is just a challenge to figure out a way to escape. So, well done, mystery author! Amazing what can be accomplished in 48 hours.

Hey, thanks for this mission. It was really fun and didn't outstay it's welcome (probably cause only 48h limit!) like I feel many FMs do.

Few notes:
    - The door with the keypad - first time I was standing in front of the door when I punched in the code, the door slammed against me, keypad broke and I couldn't open the door again - got completely stuck. So I think if the author makes a v1.1 he should primarily adress this potential issue (perhaps by making the door open inward? )
    - In the backyard area with cheap customers crates, I occasionally saw lots of guards bodies on the ground reappear and disappear. Were they meant to be there in the first place? I thought all the workers went home except the owner and his brotha.
    - How was I meant to escape the room with the safe? It was lovely, because I had a good use for new mantling there, but was that intended?

So yeah all in all good, fun mission, and cool that without custom resources either.
    Last edited by Tannar; 14th Aug 2013 at 11:56. Reason: Added spoiler covers

The walls outside the Warehouse with the big portcullis are Jorge for me. Other than that it was a fun, creepy mission.

To the author : seriously, since NewDark, it's not forbidden to use 32bits lighting

The mission was cool, loved the outside bodies flash, ape apparition and safe room event, good work.
    Last edited by Apiai; 14th Aug 2013 at 10:52.

It's obvious the author was in a rush when he released this mission: a lot of wrong tracking for textures, Jorge's textures, books that don't show up... I'm also puzzled with using invisible enemies, it's a bit too hard and it almost forces you to be wounded. Mantling crates is also hard to do, above all because of the bottles on the desk ; I'd suggest removing or moving them.

But nevertheless, it was a good mission and it frightened me a bit too, with good paranormal events. So even if the author rushed this mission, it's worth playing it. Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Apiai View Post
    The mission was cool, loved the outside bodies flash, ape apparition and safe room event, good work.
    Ooooh they were meant to flash! Didn't realise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frère Staven View Post
    I'm also puzzled with using invisible enemies, it's a bit too hard and it almost forces you to be wounded. Mantling crates is also hard to do, above all because of the bottles on the desk ; I'd suggest removing or moving them.
    I found the invisible enemies to be a nice change. Finally something that is actually a little scary (fear of the unknown in the form of invisible AIs).
    And the bottles on the desk actually helped me to mantle up there - I lived without using any of the crates in the room.

Just a note (which should be probably added to the first post as well):
    tnhscript is required to play this one.
    If you see no text on the first door, then you know what is wrong.

DromEd Archmage
    Are you sure? Because when I played this one, I couldn't read the first text too, but I could do it with the others...

None of the readables did show up - and therefor I had no chance to proceed.
    Since you are an author you should know how to open DromED and see that tnhscripts fails to load if not present.

Quote Originally Posted by Apiai View Post
    Ditto!! I also liked the invisible enemy - added an extra "oh sh*t will I make it" factor!

Stuck a bit. How do I open the safe door?

Quote Originally Posted by ticky View Post
    How do I open the safe door?
    Check the readables

My only gripe with the invisible enemies was... that they were to easy to avoid And mission was generally too short. Reminded me a bit of "Deceptive Perception", but much simplier. It had some sweet moments though.

And what was the deal with the guy behind the bookcase?

the way to the finish gave me real goose skin on my back thank You

DromEd Archmage
    This mission is so cool! The only problem was visual, but I liked it!
    I hope that the author will fix all the problem after the contest ^^

I never encountered any AI invisible or not.

How do I open the maintenance door or the last locker door?

Edit: I figured it out.
    Last edited by john9818a; 14th Aug 2013 at 21:40.

STUCK AT THE BEGINNING!

HOW do you get to the small window from the starting point?? I cannot seem to climb the pipe put there by the author.

NEVERMIND! I found out ...You have to jump onto the pipe from the box. I was trying it from the ground.

I uh, have no clue how to beat this mission. Looking good so far, mystery FM maker. I was rather confused by the room with the sewer key. Mantled my way in there, and found I was stuck. Then, out of strange blind luck, I found I could jump through the window and it'd dissapear, but only after unlocking the chest... What?

Quote Originally Posted by Flavia View Post
    Check the readables
    I mean the green safe door itself, not the door with the code.

Yes, there is a text in the room with the green safe that tells you where the safe key is.

Spoiler: On top of the painting.

Oh, well thank you Tannar, that solved it for me.

Pretty interesting mission. It had a vibe going for it like most folks have said, but I found it a tad bit easy to dodge alot of those hazards near the end. Just goes to show, a small FM does not always lend itself well to a scary theme. Wish this had been given more time, it could've been a real classic. At 48 hours however, it's still probably my 2nd favorite in this contest. As buggy as it is, it still manages to carry it's idea across.

Would love to see the creator (For the life of me, I can't think of who made this, if they'd kindly PM me that'd be great) do something like this only bigger. It would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannar View Post
    Yes, there is a text in the room with the green safe that tells you where the safe key is.

Spoiler: On top of the painting.
    Thank you. I also think that the mission is really similar to The Hidden Stone in a way..

How do I open the green locker with the key in it? My lockpicks are useless

You need the crowbar. Check outside

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    Would love to see the creator (For the life of me, I can't think of who made this, if they'd kindly PM me that'd be great)
    I think one of the authors said something in the other thread that gives it away. I could be wrong though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast