TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Megaman spiritual successor: Mighty Number 9.

Moderator and Priest
    Since I recently became a giant Linux nerd, I have to say...YAY! LINUX VERSION!

FOSS 4-EVA! PROPRIETARY SOFTWARE IS A SIN, AND EVERYONE WHO BUYS IT SHOULD BURN IN HELL!

I used to be a Linux fan (I used Kubuntu for 7 months), until I realised it was a mess to do some basic tasks and most Windows software and games wouldn't work with Wine.
    Then Windows 7 came, and I've falled in love with Windows again.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Yeah, Windows 7 is really the best OS since XP. I've been super happy with it.

Moderator and Priest
    I really wasn't a Linux fan until recently. I always thought it was alright for what it was, but it always felt like...yeah, I'll say it...the cheap alternative to Windows. Something used by tech geeks who want to run bare metal, or crazy FOSS advocates who throw around words like "moral" and "political" when talking about software.

Things have changed quite a bit recently. The first thing I noticed was that the UI was starting to get slicker on all the distros. It looks sleek, is easy on the eyes, and is minimal in the right sorta way. It's also becoming more feature rich than Windows, which has always been bare bones, no bells and whistles compared to something like OSX. Also, font rendering is nicer on it. These days, Linux looks good and is surprisingly easy to use. You still do have to occasionally go to the terminal, but mostly just to add or remove PPAs.

Course nice looks and ease of use can only take you so far. What's the point of it all if you don't have any software for it, right? Well, I started noticing that all my favorite programs (barring one) are getting Linux ports. Same with games. With Unreal Engine 4, CryEngine, Unity, and Source making it so all you have to do to make a Linux or Mac port is press a button, games have started becoming more populous on the platform. Valve in particular are going all out with it. Of the 15 indie games I'm looking forward to, 14 of them are coming to Linux. AAA games are still a bit underrepresented, but I've got a PS3 for that.

So with everything considered, I figured hell..I'll give it a try. When I last tried this with Ubuntu 9.04, I hated it. It was hard to use dork crap. On the flipside of that, my recent experiences with Ubuntu Gnome Edition and Elementary OS (which is what I'm using now) were so good, I figured I'd dive right in and give it a try without having Windows to fall back on. I made it my main OS, and have actually really liked it.

The only sacrifice I've had to make was Photoshop, and...oh man...I miss it so much. Despite all the claims of GIMP being "just as good", let me be the first to tell you...it ain't. Nowhere near. If there's one thing that'll keep me tethered to Windows, it'll be PS.

Renzatic, did you try the last KDE interface ? If so, Which desktop environment is more accesible for the average Windows user in your opinion ?

Moderator and Priest
    I've looked at KDE. It seems the most windows like, but it's also a little too crowded and blingy for my taste. You might like it, but it didn't strike me as being the best of the choices available.

My suggestions are what I mentioned above, Gnome Shell or Elementary. Gnome Shell is probably the most wildly different, and takes a tiny bit of getting used to. But once you do, you'll find it super easy to navigate around and organize. Like there's no minimize button at all, and the desktop is only used as a staging area for all your windows. No dock, taskbar, or anything. That's all accessed from the activities tab. You swing your mouse to the upper left corner, and you get something like this...

here.

All the windows you've got open on that desktop are laid out right in front of you, with all your other desktops laid out on the right. If you deal with a bunch of open apps and explorer windows, you'll find it a great way to organize everything once you get the hang of it.

Elementary is...well...if you've played with OSX, you'll know what to expect here. It's trying to do its own thing, but obviously takes more than a few cues from it in look, style, and layout. I'm all about some expose and virtual desktops, and it gives them to me in a more traditional desktop environment. And being...well...very OSX inspired means it's the nicest looking of the bunch. And yes, I am watching Voyager. My dorkening deepens daily.

What I'd suggest you do is try them all out with a live CD or USB. That way you can play around with them all you want without having to erase anything. In fact, if you use a USB drive, you can set some space aside as a little harddrive and install programs on it if you want.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 4th Sep 2013 at 23:18.

NWow, Ubuntu changed a lot, it feels almost like a brand new OS compared to the 9.04 version. I tried it on the Live CD and quickly got used to the environment, yet I still prefer Windows because of the lack of software.

Thanks for your review anyway.

Back to the topic, here is the main theme of the game:

Magnificient and nostalgic.
    Last edited by Robert4222; 7th Sep 2013 at 05:28.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Inafune was probably the biggest support of Mega Man over at Capcom. Likely why all announced Mega Man projects were cancelled after he left in 2010. The only thing they've done with Mega Man lately is feature him and associated characters in crossover fighting games.

Right, and fans got overhyped because he will be a playable character on Smash Bros for Wii U.

Update ; only one goal left: version for home consoles. I hope it will be reached, after all Megaman is known for being a console game.

I do too. I like having the choice, even if 95% of my Megaman gaming these days is via emulation on PC.

Chakat sex pillow
    With 24 days on the clock to go and 1.8 million dollars already, 2.2's a sure thing. Good going, Inafune.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    I do too. I like having the choice, even if 95% of my Megaman gaming these days is via emulation on PC.
    Have you ever played Megaman 9 or 10 on consoles ?
    Last edited by Robert4222; 7th Sep 2013 at 20:46.

Where did I say that?

Where did I say that?
    I was asking about your 5 % of Megaman experience.
    Last edited by Robert4222; 7th Sep 2013 at 20:44.

I thought you had a better grasp of English than this. That 5% isn't missing. I said 95% of my Megaman gaming these days was on PC -- obviously that implies that the remaining 5% is on console.

Wake up.

Okay, whatever you say.
    Last edited by Robert4222; 7th Sep 2013 at 21:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post

What I'd suggest you do is try them all out with a live CD or USB. That way you can play around with them all you want without having to erase anything. In fact, if you use a USB drive, you can set some space aside as a little harddrive and install programs on it if you want.
    Trying to do that, but I'm having a hard time making my USB drive bootable.

Looking to do it mainly for the same reasons NASA is:

http://armstrongeconomics.com/2013/0...osoft-windows/

I just want to point out here, in case anyone came over here from the 7-11 thread, that Quickman's theme is 25 years old and totally legal.

I thought you had a better grasp of English than this. That 5% isn't missing. I said 95% of my Megaman gaming these days was on PC -- obviously that implies that the remaining 5% is on console.

Wake up.
    Technically....you COULD be playing it on your cellphone using an emulator.

This is true, but I don't hate myself that much.

Nor do I have an appropriate cellphone.

Moderator and Priest
    You do have a Nexus 7, though. You could easily grab a Wiimote or PS3 controller and use that.

Still don't hate myself enough.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCToad View Post
    Trying to do that, but I'm having a hard time making my USB drive bootable.
    Are you using Unetbootin? I've never been able to get it work. Try this instead.

El Shagmeister

Since we're on a Megaman roll (*ba-dum-tsss*)...

A bit old hat, but still cool imho.