TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Megaman spiritual successor: Mighty Number 9.

Megaman spiritual successor: Mighty Number 9.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-no-9?ref=live

Keiji Inafune is back with a new bomber !

From what I've seen so far, I love the sketches, the concept art and the character's design. This definitely looks like a modern reinvention of Megaman.

If I could, I'd give my support through Kickstarter, but unfortunately I can't (No credit card, no party). But one thing which I'm sure, is that I'm definitely buying this game once it gets released.

Mighty n9 FTW !

By the way, are there any fans of the blue bomber over here?

El Shagmeister
    o/

Moderator and Priest
    Everyone is a fan of Mega Man. If they're not, then they have no souls.

...or spent their childhood in some hellish cesspit of a war torn country, and didn't get to play fun games growing up because they were too busy dodging bullets and eating rats to survive. BUT WHATEVA!

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    I'm a big enough fan that I'm actually a smug elitist jerk and insist that Megaman 4 is way better than the overrated Megaman 2.

[edit] That being said...

I have perverse sexual lust for Quickman's theme.

Last edited by dethtoll; 3rd Sep 2013 at 01:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Everyone is a fan of Mega Man. If they're not, then they have no souls.
    Or they played on C-64, Amiga and PC for all their childhood, because NES etc. were rare as fuck in their environment.

YOU HAD A POOR CHILDHOOD.

I really need to play through all of the Megaman X games some day. Seem pretty damn good story wise. Much more so than the standard Megaman games.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Or they played on C-64, Amiga and PC for all their childhood, because NES etc. were rare as fuck in their environment.
    GUILT TRIP!

Still Subjective
    Yeah, I've never played a Mega Man game. I don't even think I'd recognise one on screen if I hadn't googled it 5 minutes ago.

verbose douchebag
    I played one mega man game, not sure which, when I was a teenager. Can't even remember what system it was on.
    Either NES or SNES. IT was great, but since then, I've just not owned any systems it was on.
    I'm guessing 2 & 4 are the best? Which systems are they for? I'll see about emulation.

Moderator and Priest
    The first (I think) 6 Mega Mans are for the NES. I myself haven't played any of the original series beyond 4, so I can't speak of the quality of the games beyond that, but those first 4 are pure gold.

I also hear that Megaman 9 for the PS3/360 is really damn good, too. I played the demo and liked it quite a bit, but I haven't committed to buying it yet.

Still Subjective
    I'd definitely give it a go if I could get one for my PC or PS3. Or PS4 when I get one.

Hey, I haven't grown up with a Nes and still I played through the first 6 games the classic series and most games of the X (Released on SNES and PS1) and Zero series (GBA).

There is no excuse for not having ever played a Megaman game. If you haven't played one yet, I recommend you getting a NES machine for 5 bucks (or an emulator), buy/download cartridge/rom, slap it on your NES system and have fun !

There's a "main" continuity and several side continuities. The main continuity is as follows:

Classic series, plot is largely non-existent except in the games that aren't NES or look like NES (so 1-6 and 9-10) so feel free to jump in anywhere (I recommend 4, personally)
    Megaman 1-6 (NES), 7 (SNES), 8 (Playstation), Megaman and Bass (SNES in Japan, later translated and ported to Gameboy Advance), Megaman 9-10 (Downloadables for all 3 major consoles)

A series of Gameboy spinoffs numbering up to V (in roman numerals, btw, to differentiate from the NES series) are canon but have no set specific place in the timeline save that they take place after the games where they draw their robot masters from (the exception being V which is all-new robot masters.)

X series is set about 100 years after the end of the Classic series, they get more plot-heavy as they go along and X5 is meant to be the end of the series, but X6 is basically X5 part 2 and worth playing.
    Megaman X1-3 (SNES), X4-6 (Playstation), X7-8 (Playstation 2)

Has three spinoffs, two being Gameboy Color games set after X2 and X3, respectively, plus Command Mission, an RPG-ish game set between X7 and X8 for PS2

Zero series is set about 100 years after the X series and is generally post-apocalyptic in tone (especially the first game.) There's exactly 4, all on the GBA, with no spinoffs, and the story concludes cleanly.

ZX series -- two, for the DS. Set about 100 years (I think) after the Zero series.

Legends series, which is comprised of two games for PS1 (first game is also on N64), plus a PS1 spinoff set between them starring a side character. Set many hundreds of years after the other games.

That's pretty much it. Many of these series are treated as individual franchises in their own right, when Capcom isn't outright ignoring them. They nearly started a riot when they cancelled Legends 3 a few years ago.

verbose douchebag
    Ok, the one I played was definitely on the NES then. All I remember is different abilities based on colour, though I guess that could be a core megaman mechanic. I'll see about emulation and give them a shot - what's a good NES emulator which will talk nicely to my 360 controller?

I don't know about your controller but the two I use are Nestopia and FCEUX. You should be able to get them to play nice.

verbose douchebag
    Cool - I'm actually really excited to play Megaman again, I remember loving it. I also loved one of the Kirby games, but can't remember which.

For the record, 5 is probably the easiest, but 4 is my personal favourite, striking a balance with difficulty vs fun. Slide is present, powershot is present (it was introduced in that game) without being a gigantic overpowered n00k like it is in 5 and 6.

FCE Ultra GX on a Wii, bitches. No, seriously.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    what's a good NES emulator which will talk nicely to my 360 controller?
    When I tried Super Metroid a little while back I found that the game, designed to be played with a digital dpad, didn't feel quite right with either the 360 gamepad's thumbstick or dpad. You might wanna go with the keyboard for it.

verbose douchebag
    Ok, will give it a go. I know the D-pad on the 360 controller is pretty awful.

verbose douchebag
    It was Megaman 2 that I played before
    Working great with my 360 pad in Nestopia

By the way, is anyone interested on backing in this project ?
    After all the hell he went through with Crapcom, the man still desires to make a game through a development process that involucrates fan communities opinion and contribution.