TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213

Thread: The Dark Mod updated to 2.06!

Quote Originally Posted by nbohr1more View Post
    Sorry to hear about the driver issue.
    So much for software quality and driver support these days.

Quote Originally Posted by nbohr1more View Post
    [...]The problem is that the current GLSL shader has some advanced features that most cards with hardware below GL 4.3 don't support.

We are planning on making TDM GL 3.x compliant after 2.07 so that some older hardware may be able to run soft shadows or at the very least all hardware will use the same backend and nobody will need to use the old ARB backend. There may even be some fixes in 2.07 to reduce the issues around older hardware (use different extensions, change the way some things are implemented, etc).
    Maybe one should first check whether old hardware will offer reasonable performance with these approaches. It could be a waste of time if you programmed something to let TDM run on older cards, and end up with something that technically works, but runs (or rather sneaks) very slowly then.

And although I liked the fact that TDM was finally playable on my ISG (Intel Shitty Graphics) hardware this year (in contrast to what I experienced last year), I must admit that Intel graphics are usually too weak for many games. And that won't get better while these integrated graphics grow older.

I also don't think that TDM's major problems are found around graphical effects. I have severe problems with combat. And in several city missions, TDM apparently needs more RAM than the 4 GByte found in my laptop. At least that's what an analysis with HWINFO suggests - TDM does not complain, it prefers to just crash without giving the player a clue about what's wrong. Those things give me far more trouble than graphic effects.

Quote Originally Posted by baeuchlein View Post
    ISG (Intel Shitty Graphics)
    I have not heard that one before, it's a good one ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by baeuchlein View Post
    So much for software quality and driver support these days.

Maybe one should first check whether old hardware will offer reasonable performance with these approaches. It could be a waste of time if you programmed something to let TDM run on older cards, and end up with something that technically works, but runs (or rather sneaks) very slowly then.

And although I liked the fact that TDM was finally playable on my ISG (Intel Shitty Graphics) hardware this year (in contrast to what I experienced last year), I must admit that Intel graphics are usually too weak for many games. And that won't get better while these integrated graphics grow older.

I also don't think that TDM's major problems are found around graphical effects. I have severe problems with combat. And in several city missions, TDM apparently needs more RAM than the 4 GByte found in my laptop. At least that's what an analysis with HWINFO suggests - TDM does not complain, it prefers to just crash without giving the player a clue about what's wrong. Those things give me far more trouble than graphic effects.
    In the VBO beta patch, there is already some initial support for compressed Normal Maps so whenever we complete that work VRAM usage
    should be significantly lower. The current implementation compresses to RGTC on-the-fly but has some broken graphical effects on glass and particles
    because the ARB shaders don't know how to read RGTC normal format. You could test it by setting image_useNormalCompression 2 on
    hardware that supports our current GLSL.

That said, after v1.07 the Standalone project brought in lots of textures at 1024x1024 resolution (as compared to the 128, 256, or 512 versions that we were using
    with Doom 3). You may consider using the image_downSize cvars to force textures back to lower resolutions:

image_downSize 1
    image_downSizeLimit 256

image_downSizeBump 1
    image_downSizeBumpLimit 256

image_downSizeSpecular 1
    image_downSizeSpecularLimit 64

This is especially useful now that these no longer make menus blurry and the now work with Bloom (Post processing).
    Last edited by nbohr1more; 10th Jul 2018 at 19:11.

I'm surprised to still see issues with "Put Away Weapons" and "Clear Inventory" this many years later. Put Away Weapons defaults to being bound to caret instead of tilde/backquote, making it completely non-functional on a default setup (maybe it works fine on European keyboards, no idea). Clear Inventory is bound to backspace but doesn't reflect that in the bindings menu, making anyone think it's not meant to be bound on a default install. I had to dig into the cfg file to discover it.

You may say "well just change the bindings then", but I rely on default configurations when designing controller profiles on Steam. If things are broken by default I have to include instructions/explanations and it's rather inconvenient. I try to trust developers to give me all the fundamentals on an untouched, unconfigured game. Which I guess you have, since scrolling also puts away weapons & items, so I've compromised by designing around that.

I also have no idea what aspect ratio this game has in mind. My best guess is 4:3 since the menus and mouse cursor are stretched at any other ratio, but load screens look very squashed on anything but widescreen. It's certainly not dynamic and seems like there is no answer here, it's going to stretch/squash no matter the choice.

I can't speak to the issues with the default configuration keys that much.
    We've historically had a bias towards players who play with Keyboard and Mouse so it's probably
    just a situation that has grown out of that orientation.

As for the resolution and "squishing"?

We did recently move to a GUI that is more oriented to 16x9 resolution ratios but we probably need to make more
    GUI assets and some heuristic to toggle between them depending on setting.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213