TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Free, Standalone TDM 2.05 Now Available!

Awesome!

For me, this is like Thief 4 has been released. Please let me know System Specs to run TDM 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Baldur View Post
    . . . Please let me know System Specs to run TDM 2.0
    http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php...Configurations

Awesome news, thank you! I can't wait to try it out. In light of how Thief 4 is beginning to shape up, this brought a big smile to my face

TDM 2.0

With the lack of Thief 2 FM's being released lately, I've been looking all over for a copy of Doom 3 (non-BFG, of course) with no luck. I came to the Dark Mod forum today to ask if there was a way of running the game without a copy of Doom 3. If I had asked this question a few days ago my answer would have been no. Finding out that TDM 2.0 was available made me jump for joy. The anticipation of waiting for the download to finish is killing me. I'm only getting 4kB/sec. I know this sounds corny, but can everyone else share with me the rate you're getting so I know that it's just not me. Thanks

Yep, it's that slow for everyone I think.
    Last edited by nickie; 13th Oct 2013 at 04:13. Reason: No need to quote post immediately before yours

Awesome! What a milestone.

Congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Inb4 View Post
    Yep, it's that slow for everyone I think.
    There are torrents linked earlier in the thread. I tested one and was downloading at 10megs / second. With the torrents though, make sure the extracted folder is renamed darkmod ...all lower case.

I feel a bit awkward downloading a legal torrent . downloading at ~1.15Mb/sec

Quote Originally Posted by DiMarzio View Post
    I feel a bit awkward downloading a legal torrent . downloading at ~1.15Mb/sec
    Make sure you rename the folder to darkmod after you get the full download, otherwise save games won't load.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Just an idea - maybe mention the "save games not loading" /darkmod folder thing in the OP with some bold text or something. Someone might not see it as is, or they may think since the mod is running that it's not affecting them.

I don't see anyone else having this issue so I'll mention it.

The brightness and gamma sliders don't work for me. When I adjust the slider the brightness changes for about a second and then returns to normal, however the slider stays at the point I drag it to.

Never heard of that issue before. Best bet is to post on our forums; you're more likely to get responses to problems over there.
    http://forums.thedarkmod.com/forum/58-tdm-tech-support/

Zombified
    if you have an ati amd card, try unlocking the gamma controls in CCC (if you have the option).

I've had a tremendous amount of respect for The Dark Mod team since the beginning, and I can't pass up any opportunity to say it. Another milestone, another example of why you guys are Gods among Taffers! Thanks so much for your work!

Wow, this AWESOME! Thanks a bunch!

It is glorious.

I just wanted to let New Horizon and the team know that I did download this the day it was announced here, and let me tell you. There was never any need to even install it, as I simply dropped the Dark Mod folder from my zip chip onto my game computer. It started right up on the first double click and it ran fast and flawlessly. I was really surprised at how fast everything loads and performs, like seriously fast! This project does not feel bogged down in the least, which is so refreshing. I have been playing as much as possible since I got it, and there is a little story to that.

I by no means represent anyone other than myself, and any other exiled hermit that may be out there, as I came to Thief by way of following the progression of Ultima, Might Magic, Wizardy, and of course Looking Glass. The reason I often mention this is because of the way you played these classic games. Most of the greats were keyboard only. LGS was possibly the first of the pioneers who strove for "mouselook while moving" before mastering it for Dark Project.

At the end of 1998, having just finished the legendary Might and Magic VI: Mandate Of Heaven, I continued right on to Thief: The Dark Project. As such, when I booted the game up for the first time and reconfigured the keyboard, I was naturally delighted to see the good old classic Look Up, Look Down, and Center View commands (the ones that most people have scratched their heads at all these years). For these were essential to playing Dark Project like the classics, which I of course did. The masterful Mission design was nicely tailored to this play style.

While reconfiguring the controls for Dark Mod, and it is worth noting that the options panels for Dark Mod are splendid, I set everything up for keyboard like I would in Thief, Might Magic, and Wizardry, never noticing that Look Up Down and Center was absent. I started playing, amazed at the excellent performance, and as I turned left (left arrow) I was stunned at the precision of the speed. Usually, with keyboard turning, the character turns either too fast or two slow, and you compensate. With Dark mod, it is spot on. I thought to myself as I ventured forward that maybe the team actually tuned it just right, but it could always just be a happy accident, maybe even an engine default.

Of course, the time did come when I decided to look up. I hit the appropriate key and nothing happened, so I went back to the options to check. I have since been using the mouselook (also spot on) because I have been so interested in this for so long! Some may even recall that Dark Mod was released on my birthday. Hmmmm, an anniversary that is indeed coming quick!

I am just a fanatic of a bygone era of classic gaming. I could never ask for Look Up, Look Down, and Center View keyboard commands. The mouselook really isnt my style of play, and for whatever it is worth, I want the team to know that compared to the great classic games, Dark Project especially included, as a keyboard player, you completely nailed it, and that is really saying something in this age of computer gaming. If it wasnt for the missing Look Up Down Center, I would swear I was in an enhanced build of Dark Project.

Nevertheless, I shall soldier on practicing the mouselook style of play, if anything because I need to absorb everything I can about Dark Mod, to appreciate what has all gone into it. I could never design a Mission for something that I had not thoroughly explored and investigated, and I do have an idea or two...

(We have had some particularly notable mentions in PC Gamer, Destructoid, Kotaku, Blues News, Shacknews, etc but I'm most excited about this.)

We are slashdotted!

http://games.slashdot.org/story/13/1...ef-a-like-game

Congratulations, I hope it didn't hurt too much.

Could you post links to the other mentions? I've only seen the one in Thelvyn's post (Phoronix?).

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post

Could you post links to the other mentions? I've only seen the one in Thelvyn's post (Phoronix?).
    Looks like the TDM servers have been overwhelmed once again, this time thanks to the slashdot article. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post

Here's a link to the thread with all the links in the first post. I will edit this later with the specific links if needed.

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/1...-and-articles/

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdude View Post
    Until it calms down a bit here is another option for people to use, that bypasses the slower mirrors and the need to download the tdm_mirrors.txt file from the already swamped darkmod.com server.

1. Download the attached file and save the following file to the root of the Darkmod folder, over-writing the one there already.
    2. Run the tdm_update.exe and on the main windows click on "advanced options"
    3. Then click on "dont search for new mirrors" and then click save.
    4. Then click on "continue"
    5. If your updating from an earlier version of TDM, you need to check the "dont search for new mirrors" once again, after 'tdm_update.exe' updates itself and restarts.mack sure to do steps 2-4 again.
    6. Please note the manual mirrors list wont work when you want to download mission's, you need to replace the "tdm_mirrors.txt" file with the default one - see attached.

- see the screenshot below for steps 2-4.

Manual Mirrors - Attachment 1827
    Default Mirrors - Attachment 1826
    The forum says I don't have permission to access the attachments. I don't suppose anyone can post either their contents or another link to them?

Thanks, nbohr1more, that's fine.

Played a ton of TDM before aswell, it's AWESOME! Good work guys!

bikerdude
    Quote Originally Posted by x0563511 View Post
    The forum says I don't have permission to access the attachments. I don't suppose anyone can post either their contents or another link to them?
    The screen shot was just there as a visual aid, if you follow thew steps you should be able to do it.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast