TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Free, Standalone TDM 2.05 Now Available!

Will tdm2 run ok on win xp/ vista

Hi

Will tdm2 work on win xp or vista? I want to hook up some friends with it. Also. Since its a large file, can I copy the "darkmod" folder onto a flash drive and put it on another computer? I'd like to bypass the whole download process again as I want it on another pc in my house.

Lastly there are a lot of missions listed at thedarkmod.com, are they listed in the proper play order? I'd like to play them properly according to the story etc.

Thanks a lot this looks like a lot of fun!

Fitz

Quote Originally Posted by kingfitz View Post
    Will tdm2 work on win xp or vista?
    Yes, TDM will work on both Windows XP and Vista.

Lastly there are a lot of missions listed at thedarkmod.com, are they listed in the proper play order? I'd like to play them properly according to the story etc.
    Each Fan Mission has its own story, so feel free to pick one without worrying about playing in the proper order...Popular ones are:

Tears of St. Lucia, A Score to Settle, No Honour Among Thieves, Glenham Tower, Knighton Manor, Heart of Lone Salvation, and Return to the City.

Have fun...

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    Yes, TDM will work on both Windows XP and Vista.

Each Fan Mission has its own story, so feel free to pick one without worrying about playing in the proper order...Popular ones are:

Tears of St. Lucia, A Score to Settle, No Honour Among Thieves, Glenham Tower, Knighton Manor, Heart of Lone Salvation, and Return to the City.

Have fun...
    It's true that most missions are stand alone adventures, however there are a few that are part of a continuing storyline. The Thomas Porter series is one. They're all listed on our wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfitz View Post
    Hi

Since its a large file, can I copy the "darkmod" folder onto a flash drive and put it on another computer? I'd like to bypass the whole download process again as I want it on another pc in my house.
    Yes, once you've downloaded it once, you can copy it anywhere, or even play it directly from a flashdrive.

Thanks a lot this looks like a lot of fun!

Fitz
    Most missions are independent, but there are a few series that would benefit from being played in order. There's also a 3 mission campaign, No Honour Among Thieves.

You can see which missions are part of a series here: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php...r_The_Dark_Mod

Im sure it has already been mentioned, but I am confirming that I plugged my DarkMod zip into my kids Windows8 laptop and it works like a dream "right out of the box".

Does the darkmod update ok from 1.8 to 2?
    Also, does the mission downloader marks the all missions which need to be redownloaded (and leaves the other alone, thanks very much)?
    If i do update this way, am i supposed to move the darkmod folder out of the doom3 folder and only use that?
    Last edited by SeriousCallersOnly; 29th Oct 2013 at 05:37.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousCallersOnly View Post
    Does the darkmod update ok from 1.8 to 2?
    Yes, the updater will update from 1.8 to 2.0. If you run into an issue after, run the updater again to make sure all files are valid. With tech, there is always the possibility for an issue to pop up here and there.

Also, does the mission downloader marks the all missions which need to be redownloaded (and leaves the other alone, thanks very much)?
    I'll let someone with a little more knowledge of the downloader answer that one.

If i do update this way, am i supposed to move the darkmod folder out of the doom3 folder and only use that?
    You don't necessarily have to, but if you no longer play Doom 3, then there is no reason to keep it so you might as well just copy / paste your darkmod folder outside of it into your regular gaming directory. Remember to update your shortcut to thedarkmod.exe though.

Unfortunately quite a few missions needed to be updated to 2.0, but did not receive a new version number.
    As a result, the updater doesn't have any chance at all to figure out exactly which missions need to be updated.
    It checks only the version number and nothing else.

I am afraid that you MUST delete the entire content in the fms folders including the missions.tdminfo file!
    Otherwise some old mission may remain and won't work.
    That's what I was told on the TDM forum, and I can confirm that.

You guys did a fantastic job, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Lots of great FMs!

I could not find a standalone download on the download page, merely the updater.

Great stuff anyway, thanks!

Southquarter.com/fms
    @Csimbi - read the instruction on the download page again, using the updater is the way to download the mod. Just start it up and the mod will begin downloading to your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Csimbi View Post
    I could not find a standalone download on the download page, merely the updater.

Great stuff anyway, thanks!
    Yes, as Brethren pointed out, you use the updater to download the Mod.

Create a folder on your hard drive named darkmod, put the updater inside it and run the updater. It will place all the files inside that folder.

Yeah, I got that after a while, but I was browsing for a 'Download standalone' type of link/text ;-)

I used the updater quite a lot in the past, so I skipped over that a few times, lol

Awesome!

After a few hours wrestling technical issues, deleting files and renaming others, trying to get the updater to work, I downloaded on another computer and copied the program over to mine all problems were solved.

WOW.

I'm running it on a laptop with Windows 7 and it looks/sounds/operates just fine for me after some initial installation headaches.

Yep, I'll be occupied for quite some time.

It feels "Thiefy" for sure, but is an entirely new game, and I do like that the developers are making that clear.

I am surprised nobody has said this yet, in just so many words. (Or maybe somebody has and I just missed it).

But IMHO, this mod is exactly what Thief 3 SHOULD HAVE been, but wasn't.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Some people are even saying it's what Thief 4 should have been.
    Last edited by Brethren; 26th Nov 2013 at 12:17.

This is like an early X-Mas present. I'm glad that they made the mod standalone. I'd never tried it before. I did have one minor issue. But the Darkmod forums had the answer. After a little edit to my cfg everything is working great. Only have had a couple of hours to play. All in the training mission. Wow, I am very, very impressed so far.

Thanks, glad everyone is having fun with it. There's going to be some good stuff coming up in the next few weeks--a small update, and two new missions from Grayman (of In The North fame) shortly after that.

It was quite surprise to see tdm in a local game magazine in my country. I bet they are oldskool thief fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Springheel View Post
    ... and two new missions from Grayman (of In The North fame) shortly after that.
    \o/

It was quite surprise to see tdm in a local game magazine in my country. I bet they are oldskool thief fan
    Awesome!

I'm in love with DarkMod. Since a month I play only FMs for this great mod! The combat and lockpicking are difficult, and I like it. And I looks better than TDS. If I would like to create my own mission, where should I start?

Best place to start is here: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php...ide_Start_Here!

Visit our forums for extra help and advice.

Hey everybody!

Just found out about this today and downloaded it! I must say I'm very excited, since I knew that TDM existed a long while a go (when it needed D3 to run), but I've never tried it and this is a wonderful opportunity. From what I've seen on the internet so far (YouTube etc.), it's glorious and I can't wait until I try it out later today! Huge thanks to everybody involved for bringing a Thief-like experience to all of us in this time when our dear franchise is going where the most eager fans would never follow.

So yeah, my deepest gratitude to all of you! Can't wait to be amazed when I finally go launch this!

A thankful zil (the humble composer you might know from the Hammerite Imperium series.. and Black Frog).

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast