TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Free, Standalone TDM 2.05 Now Available!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsie_Pagan View Post
    i got one simple question did they fix "the wonky blackjack" in darkmod so it works real good?
    Are you following the things I do in this video?

ok thank you ,but from what video shows it looks like you arent even hitting them on the good knock outs,and the fails look like they should work as far as distance looks,not counting the metal helmets

thank you so much

bikerdude
    TDM 2.02 is now available!

Thanks for your patience everyone...hope it is worth the wait!

This version includes a number of new features and bugfixes for The Dark Mod. Several exploits have been dealt with, such as a fix for the bunny-hop exploit by SteveL, and new behaviour that allows AI to notice if you blatantly grab onto a door they're in the process of closing, by grayman.

A fix of a sound bug that was causing sound to drop off too quickly in large spaces (resulting in AI frequently ignoring noise arrows and calls for help) has also been fixed by grayman, and a new AI Hearing slider has been added to the main menu.

New Horizon has adjusted our blackjacking detection so that players are less likely to fail by being too close to an AI.

AI may notice that they've been pickpocketed, and will add that to their evidence of an intruder if you cause a mild alert while snatching something from their belt.

In addition, Springheel has added a new AI and vocal set (acted by Goldwell) for mappers to play with: The Moors.

For a more detailed look at the changes and improvements, see here: http://bugs.thedarkm...p?version_id=65

To get the new update, simply run tdm_update.exe

Excellent news!...

Signature updated.

'Twould be good if Springheel updated the OP.

Thanks bikerdude, TDM updated successfully here

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdude View Post
    TDM 2.02 is now available!
    Great news in the middle of the summer, thanks!
    Now I have a good reason to stay in a cold, dark room ;-)

Southquarter.com/fms
    Great news, congrats to the TDM team. For anyone interested in what the new AI look like, just check out the announcement on the TDM main page.

2.02 bugs:
    - Mouse cursor is not visible in the OS on ALT+TABbing out of the game (TDM stays on top?).
    - ALT+Enter takes too long time, Windows suggests closing the non-responding app.
    - Some physics bug causing knocked out solders and their weapons to shake indefinitely on the ground (making noise indefinitely, causing all the guards to end pu at the same spot after a while).
    - Enemies cannot hit you with a hammer (well, they can, but very rarely) when you crouch into a corner (the swing of the hammer probably hits the wall, which s fine, but then the AI should not swing it in that huge radius).
    - FOV is not correct in widescreen resolutions.
    - Guards can't deal with blocked doors. See this screenshot. There's a pot and an axe. The guard goes there, gets alerted saying "It is strange.." and "It is something..." and walks away after a few tries - his routine will be totally screwed up as he will do nothing else but trying (and fail). A real guard would get suspicious and move the items away so he can use the door (or, if on the other side, try kicking down the door or go around another way to remove the obstruction).

2.02 annoyances:
    - Psychic guards can track you in the darkest dark while you're standing still (while they are searching, they always turn and take a step towards you, even though you are invisible and made no noise). I tried creeping away a bit, but at the next move, the guy turns and moves exactly towards me - tried it with different layouts, and it always happened, so it cannot be a coincidence -> guards are indeed psychic (once they have been alerted). They don't seem to go to place where they heard you last and wonder around that point; they seems to go where you actually are right away.
    - Doors close by themselves (were magic doors installed lately?). This is really bad as you can't a) open a door and go though it when you want, b) backtrack without having to turn around and opening the door AGAIN.
    - Doors that open towards you get stuck when you move back too slow (have to be closed and opened all over again). Moving fast causes noise, so it's pretty damn annoying. IMHO, doors should always be opening away from the person opening it (and if a guard feels that there is someone behind the door, he should kick the door down, causing the player to knock back and take damage).
    - Candles and such cannot be pinched/dozed out (which should be a really easy feat, considering). Why do I need to waste a water arrow on these tiny light sources when I am standing right next to them???
    - Lamps cannot smashed. AFAIK, things made of glass should be very much smashable.

Thanks for considering fixes.

Edit:
    Here's how the psychic guards work.
    You creep backwards (from P1 to P2) into a dark corner while the guard goes around the pillar.
    Once the guard circles the pillar (or turns around and circles back), he will turn and move towards you: "somehow" he knows where you are, without even seeing you.
    IMHO, having the advantage of knowing where he is, I should be able to circle him and knock him out (which cannot be done right now).
    Code:
        G                <- Guard
         --
        |  |             <- Pillar
         --
             P1          <- Player position 1
              \
               \
                \
                 \
                  \
                   \
                    \
                     P2  <- Player position 2
    Last edited by Csimbi; 7th Aug 2014 at 09:41.

Doing an Alt+Enter causes the game to go from fullscreeen to windowed and vice versa, when this happens the engine has to reload, which means a map reload, which means several minutes.
    IE don't do this unless you have to or always play windowed.
    Also try bringing down the console, then alt+tabbing, that might allow your mouse cursor to show up.

Physics issue is difficult to fix, it can be tweaked from Doom 3's base. This has always been an issue and worked on already to reduce this.

AI not being able to hit you with hammer when crouched in corner is an exploit, I will open a bug tracker for that thank you.

You can change the FOV to whatever you want with the console command; g_fov

Guards being blocked from opening doors are supposed to do what you suggested already, can you post a video instead of a screenshot? It will help in determining where in the code the issue is happening still.

Guards being able to follow you when you move in complete shadow is normal, any sound you make, even if it's not loud enough to increase alert states, does give them a hint to where you might be.

Doors auto closing are map dependent, and depends on the author. They are used to increase performance by closing as many visportals as possible. They are all on a timer as far as I know which could be different in each map.

Like in real life, doors open only one way. If they didn't they could cause issues with pathfinding for AI that a mapper cannot predict. Learn to time door opening with distance away, keep practicing, you'll get it.

Candles can indeed be pinched out, you have to pick them up first, then "use" them to put them out. If a mapper decided to make a candle static it should still be frobbable. Please play the training mission again to learn how to use these features.

Lamps are just objects like all other objects. They can be frobbed to turn them on and off.

About your last point, the AI in the thief games moved around randomly or in easily discernible patterns. The AI in TDM have logic, they scan the environment and will prioritize the most likely places to hide. The parts with the deepest shadows for example, they will peer into and might see you. Remember, once a guard is on high alert, his ability to detect the player increases.
    This is not Thief, the AI in thief were advanced for their time, but they are pants on head retarded by todays standards in some situations, don't expect the AI to behave the same.
    Last edited by AluminumHaste; 7th Aug 2014 at 14:40.

Got it, thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure how to record gameplay video.
    Maybe you could try it yourself?
    It's the kitchen door from the "The Caduceus of St Alban" map. The place is pretty easy to get to, just steal the key from the guard roaming around the kitchen (it's close to the starting position). You'll notice the door from the screenshot - it's the door that requires the kitchen key.
    I dropped the mug on purpose and bumped into the axe accidentally, so it fell in front of the door, then the guard wanted to exit (I was watching him from the corner - crouching on the elevator).

Any chance to add a FOV tweak setting to the video settings?
    May be automatic default FOV setting on aspect ratio change (according to the aspect ration set)?
    Is that FOV saved into the saved games?
    Thank you for considering!

Edit:
    No mouse cursor with console on ALT+TAB.
    Last edited by Csimbi; 7th Aug 2014 at 16:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Csimbi View Post
    Got it, thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure how to record gameplay video.
    Maybe you could try it yourself?
    It's the kitchen door from the "The Caduceus of St Alban" map. The place is pretty easy to get to, just steal the key from the guard roaming around the kitchen (it's close to the starting position). You'll notice the door from the screenshot - it's the door that requires the kitchen key.
    I dropped the mug on purpose and bumped into the axe accidentally, so it fell in front of the door, then the guard wanted to exit (I was watching him from the corner - crouching on the elevator).

Any chance to add a FOV tweak setting to the video settings?
    May be automatic default FOV setting on aspect ratio change (according to the aspect ration set)?
    Is that FOV saved into the saved games?
    Thank you for considering!

Edit:
    No mouse cursor with console on ALT+TAB.
    I did make a fov option in the in-game menu, but it was decided not to use it. If you want to request it be added, please post it on the official TDM forums.
    FOV is saved to the game, not the missions, so FOV changes are the same for all missions.

2.02 bugs:
    - Mouse cursor is not visible in the OS on ALT+TABbing out of the game (TDM stays on top?).
    Something that might work for you, which is a bit of a pain as it's a little tedious... Alt+Tab out of the game, then press Ctrl+Alt+Del and open your task manager; this will take you back to the desktop, you can close task manager, and your cursor should be on top. Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Sycamoyr View Post
    Something that might work for you, which is a bit of a pain as it's a little tedious... Alt+Tab out of the game, then press Ctrl+Alt+Del and open your task manager; this will take you back to the desktop, you can close task manager, and your cursor should be on top. Hope this helps!
    Thanks, but it seems that the TDM window is always on top - so it is above the mouse as well (I can see the mouse cursor going under it).
    I can see the mouse cursor only while it is above the task bar.
    Windows 7 X64

Missing texture in Lords and Legacy v.2.0.1 - the door on the right.

The archway in the middle is the one between "The Commons" and "The Keep" (just so you know where to look).
    Is this an error in the map or a standalone texture is missing?

Thanks!

Here are two shots from 'The Builder Roads'.
    Look at the left and the right locks (frobbed); you might need to zoom in a bit as it's pretty dark.

Are these texture errors in the map or TDM?
    Thanks!

Here are two shots from 'The Builder Roads'.
    Look at the left and the right locks (frobbed); you might need to zoom in a bit as it's pretty dark.

Are these texture errors in the map or TDM?
    Thanks!
    Looks like a texture scaling issue. Kind of a minor problem, but I wonder if Obsttorte knows about this?
    Edit: I sent Obsttorte a message about it.
    Last edited by Sycamoyr; 15th Aug 2014 at 23:04.

Somebody should hire Stephen Russell and make Garrett mod !

Quote Originally Posted by Gooby View Post
    That'd be nice.
    The first step would to be to come up with a set of lines that we'd want him to do.
    Things that are present in most missions, plus funny comments when you fall, are hit, are spotted, managed to get away, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Gooby View Post
    Or get our own Slyfoxx to do it. Which is probably WAY more likely. And Slyfoxx is just as good.

But, Csimbi is right. Would still need a gazillion lines, sounds, etc that would be needed/wanted.
    But yeah. . .I'd love to see Garrett in the DarkMOd. I've been enjoying the missions. . .but I DO miss playing for our usual thief.

Congratulations on the newest release guys!

As I was reading this today at lunch break I was violently jumping up and down in the office! Everyone thinks I'm crazy now, but well, I tried to put it on the coffee

TDM has come a long way since i last tried it, kudos! I really enjoyed playing a few missions tonight, and i probably will run through a lot more in the coming months. Thank you for your hard and dedicated work!

Is there a link for a full offline installer of the latest TDM 2.03? All I could find on the net is TDM 2.0 ( http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-m...full-installer )

The reason I need an offline installer is because I want to install it on a Windows computer (that belongs to my brother) that has no internet connection whatsoever, and I currently only have a Linux computer to download the Linux version, of course, whereas I need the Windows version.

Can I use the Windows version on Linux through Wine to download the Windows version on Linux?

I know once you have it downloaded, it's portable. So you can just copy the whole game over. Doesn't really need installing. You could save it on a usb drive for that matter. I think Linux can still download the Win version and copy it over at least, even if it can't play it. Apples can do that, so it's not unheard of.

Edit. Sorry it's the installer itself that's the issue. Got it. Wine might work since it's a simple program.
    Last edited by demagogue; 14th Jul 2015 at 05:30.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Edit. Sorry it's the installer itself that's the issue. Got it. Wine might work since it's a simple program.
    I suppose I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast