TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Free, Standalone TDM 2.05 Now Available!

Is there a link for a full offline installer of the latest TDM 2.03? All I could find on the net is TDM 2.0 ( http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-m...full-installer )

The reason I need an offline installer is because I want to install it on a Windows computer (that belongs to my brother) that has no internet connection whatsoever, and I currently only have a Linux computer to download the Linux version, of course, whereas I need the Windows version.

Can I use the Windows version on Linux through Wine to download the Windows version on Linux?

I know once you have it downloaded, it's portable. So you can just copy the whole game over. Doesn't really need installing. You could save it on a usb drive for that matter. I think Linux can still download the Win version and copy it over at least, even if it can't play it. Apples can do that, so it's not unheard of.

Edit. Sorry it's the installer itself that's the issue. Got it. Wine might work since it's a simple program.
    Last edited by demagogue; 14th Jul 2015 at 04:30.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Edit. Sorry it's the installer itself that's the issue. Got it. Wine might work since it's a simple program.
    I suppose I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Are you sure the game's downloader doesn't download both the Windows executable and the Linux however that's called binary program? Because I only run Windows and seem to have the Linux binaries anyway in my folder… so if you have TheDarkMod.exe you should be fine, even if you downloaded from a Linux system.

Sorry for the late reply, just want to inform that downloading the Windows version with the Windows updater via Wine on Linux does work

I'll probably get boo'd for this question but is it at all possible to change some of the key bindings to those of T2? I am having an extremely hard time with all the different keys for different objects/actions etc.
    I tried changing one of the keys for using items which is U to Mouse2 but it wouldn't stay.

Key bindings can be changed in the GUI, yes. You need to ensure that your Darkmod folder is not set to Read Only. Also, when changing key bindings you may need
    to use ESC to clear the existing value before supplying the alternate.

Or if you wanna get fancy, create an autoexec.cfg file and add your keybindings using the reference here:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php..._User_Settings

Thanks, I'll try the GUI. Appreciate it

Halloween Contest

As a reminder, the Halloween Speedbuild contest entries are out:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-m...nded-halloween

Please play them and vote before November 14th.

Perhaps you could also post this info in the FM Forum. As far as I can tell, only The Rats Triumphant has been posted so it would be good to have the other missions included. I didn't know there was a contest as I don't often have time these days to visit the DarkMod.

(2.04 is out now!)

The team here at Broken Glass Studios is very pleased to announce the latest update to TDM!

The update to 2.04 is primarily a bugfix release but has over a year's worth of fixes.

Some changes will be noticeable right away, while others will take a while to appear in new maps.

To apply the update, simply run the tdm_update.exe file in your darkmod folder.
    (Note that saved games from earlier versions will not be compatible with 2.04, so finish any missions you are playing first).

Some of the improvements are listed below. To see the full changelog, go here:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php...ew_in_TDM_2.04

BETTER COORDINATED SEARCHING!

The changes in 2.03 caused AI to develop a choke-off pattern to
    more accurately reflect how people in groups would coordinate a search effort.
    It was found that this change often caused AI to remain stationary
    around the last known whereabouts of the player (causing the player to wait endlessly for the cooldown process).
    2.04 now prompts isolated AI to move around more and investigate “hiding spots”
    within a radius of the alert region.
    This will give players more opportunities to make daring escapes
    or maneuverability to better reach a point of advantage to the AI.

AI NOTICE DROPPED WEAPONS!

Even the TDM team developers were surprised to find that no prior release
    had code support for AI noticing dropped weapons.
    This has been added so now all your “weapon hiding antics” are meaningful as expected!

GRID BASED INVENTORY

We were fortunate to gain a new mouse navigated grid-based inventory manager thanks to a new forum contributor, Durandall.
    Thank you!

To activate, bind a key to _impulse30 in the console or Darkmod.cfg

bind “t” “_impulse30”

PICKING UP STUFF WITHOUT CLUNKING!

In previous TDM versions, players would often create unintentional alerts by clunking candles, bowls, or other moveables against the table-top when trying to lift them. This became so frustrating that Sotha and Goldwell began using stationary snuff-able candles in their missions to avoid this scenario.

Now the grabber more smoothly moves objects into manipulation range and with a middle-click centers them on the screen directly in front of the player for easier manipulation.

IMPROVED BREAKABLES

While developing breakable display cases for an upcoming mission, it was discovered that the whole breakable system was in poor shape. Crack decals would disappear after a small amount of time, rotated models would spawn “pre-fractured”, objects thrown through glass with zero-health would simply pass through without shattering it, and the fracture code itself caused a memory leak and save-game crash. SteveL spent a great deal of time sorting out these problems and updated the glass shader rendering as well.

BETTER LOOKING GLASS

Along with SteveL’s rendering fixes, AluminumHaste repaired many of the broken stained-glass materials,
    and I improved the flask glass shader (using fixes discovered by Obstortte and Arcturus).

DECAL FIXES

One of the oft-mentioned visual annoyances has been decals that seem to pop over distant objects rather than
    staying on their associated surface. This was tracked to OpenGL depth offset range behavior. It seems that Doom 3 has this set to an absurd 600 units (probably to work with DepthHack particles, which are a precursor to soft-particles in modern engines). 2.04 changes this range to reduce or eliminate this problematic behavior. This will also reduce the likeliness of z-fighting in missions and save on some overdraw.

QUICKSAVE BACKUPS

A new quicksave safety system has been implemented. Save files are now written with alternating filenames rather than repeatedly overwriting the existing file. For a variety of reasons, the host OS has run into problems with rapid requests to write and overwrite these files leading to either corrupt or lost saves. The new system should be far less prone to this. It currently alternates between two files but can be set to any number you prefer with the “com_numSaveGames” console argument.

IMPROVED LOAD TIMES
    While not a huge jump, it was found that particle bounds were determined via a lengthy Monte Carlo simulation.
    This has been scaled back to a simpler bounds calculation resulting in shorter map loading.

SOUND FIXES

Sound values are now prevented from being sent to the audio device with “negative volume” (invalid values)
    causing popping sounds.

A new override system allows mappers to replace the ambient sound easily with another sound of their choice.

RUSSIAN AND ROMANIAN LANGUAGE IMPROVEMENTS

Thanks to the hard work from folks at the Darkfate Community, we now have better Russian translation and fonts.
    Similarly, the Romanian translation has been fixed to remove characters which do not have associated fonts yet for a more legible Romanian interface.

(Coming Soon) FREYK’S INSTALLER

For the past few releases, freyk has been creating an installer tool to assist
    users who are not good with portable file setup in Windows
    or address dependency issues in Linux.
    We are now adding this tool to the official installation page as an alternate option.

BUG FIXES

As with any release, general bug fixes have been addressed.
    Of major note is the Card Player savegame crash, breakable savegame crash,
    AI scooting themselves out into the void, and a fix for a memory leak in the SEED system.

Logspam has been significantly reduced in both the LOD\SEED system
    and in DMAP compiling leading to dramatic performance improvement in the latter.
    Last edited by nbohr1more; 12th Jul 2016 at 22:45.

Looks good!...I especially like the Ai enhancements...

Please update the OP.

Wow, I have wanted an inventory option like that in Thief for over a decade and a couple of years ago I requested this over in the TDM forum. Awesome!

It makes so much sense in FMs where you either start with unconventional inventory items or you get a ton of inventory items and it becomes ridiculous cycling through it all one item at a time. You know Garrett would just open his bag and take a quick peak at exactly what he's carrying before determining how tackle a problem; he wouldn't take every single item out one at a time or count multiple stacked items one at a time.

Everything else here looks awesome, too, but I'm pretty excited for the inventory screen.

I have mixed feelings about the inventory screen...On one hand there is the natural convenience, which is positive...on the other hand, there is an immersion-breaking effect by it popping-up in the middle of the screen during play.

I prefer the keyboard/mouse shortcut keys, and highly recommend using a 9+ button mouse, in order to obtain convenience whilst at the same time preserving immersion.

I use shortcuts extensively and I use a 9 button mouse.

For me, it breaks immersion to not be able to glance at multiple carried items at once like I would do in real life. Garrett even does this in the original Thief intro video. He rolls out his tools to view them all at once before selecting one. Perhaps an Ultima-style backpack graphical skin would help your personal perception of immersion?

Yes, a natural way to view your inventory would work.

Immersion, is not based on "preference" or "like"...If an inventory screen that unnaturally pops-up in your face while playing doesn't break your immersion, then you are not in a state of immersion, you are simply engaged in the experience.

I could argue that point for days, which I know is what it would take with you, but it's really not worth it.

If someone is comfortable with the way things work right now, that person can simply ignore this new feature.

I'm getting the TDMupdater installing on an infinite loop. It updates the installer checks the new version then starts again.

For some reason I had to download the updater manually , weird. I was using the one in the install directory It's now updating.
    Last edited by Ravenus1; 12th Jul 2016 at 21:25. Reason: figured out the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenus1 View Post
    I'm getting the TDMupdater installing on an infinite loop. It updates the installer checks the new version then starts again.

For some reason I had to download the updater manually , weird. I was using the one in the install directory It's now updating.
    I'm not sure why this happens sometimes but if you go to the advanced menu and choose "Do not allow tdm_updater to update itself" you can break free of this issue.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    I have mixed feelings about the inventory screen...On one hand there is the natural convenience, which is positive...on the other hand, there is an immersion-breaking effect by it popping-up in the middle of the screen during play.

It's optional. Don't use it!

Of course it is...as that would be breaking a fundamental principal of immersive simulation to not have it optional...and I can't imagine you ever doing that...

Now, if you excuse me, I must attend to some important business with Gerald Foxley.

Thanks! Just updated so now it's time for some Penny Dreadful 3

Yei! (for 2.04)
    Thank you!

My quickload keys stopped working after this update. What can I do?

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast