TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Darkest Dungeon - Terror and Madness

Darkest Dungeon - Terror and Madness

I don't know much about this yet, but this trailer is full of awesome, and the description is plenty intriguing:

Darkest Dungeon is a hard-core RPG about the stresses of dungeon crawling. You will lead a band of four heroes on a perilous side-scrolling descent, dealing with a prodigious number of threats to their bodily health, and worse, a relentless assault on their mental fortitude! Five hundred feet below the earth you will not only fight unimaginable foes, but famine, disease, and the stress of the ever-encroaching dark. Darkest Dungeon focuses on the humanity and psychological vulnerability of the heroes and asks: What emotional toll does a life of adventure take?

Darkest Dungeon is not a game where every hero wins the day with shiny armor and a smile. It is a game about hard trade-offs, nearly certain demise, and heroic acts. Prepare to experience an RPG like nothing you have played before
    http://www.darkestdungeon.com/

I concluded that I need to see a demo, but I really do hope this lives up to its promise.

(Spotted on RPS.)
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 9th Oct 2013 at 09:29.

OK so this is like… a dungeon crawl + Amnesia-like insanity effects + heavy emphasis on the intra-party interaction? Sounds totally awesome. Of course the question is if the devs can really make this work well in practice, but I will definitely keep an eye on this.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Love the artwork!

The artwork is killer. I really need to see some in-game shots or videos before I get too excited though.

Yea I almost thought this was a Witcher spinoff with its cutscenes. The more emotion/sanity/well being focus would be an interesting new angle on the old dungeoncrawler genre, but not sure how I feel about it being a side-scroller. Too early to really judge, tho, this could go into so many directions.

Looks good. The stretch goals are a bit suspect, though. Does it really cost $50k to allow you to customize colors?

Quote Originally Posted by reizak View Post
    Looks good. The stretch goals are a bit suspect, though. Does it really cost $50k to allow you to customize colors?
    They need both art and programming time to make the colors work and look good. Whether $50k is too much for that, it might be a little high, but that's better than not enough when talking about getting the best game possible.

It might also not so much be "we need 50k to customize colors" but just "if you give us 50k we'll put extra time to customize colors as a thank you"

So the game was backed a while ago and there is some gameplay footage available. Gotta say it looks very promising.

*a wild thread necromancer appears*

Am I the only one playing this game at this point? I started over the weekend, got killed a bunch, and restarted, having a better understanding of the mechanics. It's not the kind of game I'd play for hours on end, but it's nifty, punishing in fun ways, and eminently atmospheric. I pretty much came for the Mike Mignola-style visuals and stayed for how Darkest Dungeon uses its relatively simple mechanics to great effect.

I wish I had a better grasp of what/how much equipment to take along for what sort of outing. Also, those curios have backfired on me so often, I tend to bypass everything that looks slightly iffy on my journeys, which probably means that I get half as much loot as more foolhardy adventurers.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    *a wild thread necromancer appears*

Am I the only one playing this game at this point?
    I don't play it myself, but a couple of people on my Steam Friends list do. From what I can tell, it seems like the game is geared towards trial and error learning with fairly harsh punishment if things go wrong. So you basically have to learn what king of encounters to expect from each area, what works against those encounters and in the process sacrifice a lot of cannon fodder.

It's not the kind of game I'd want to play much of, so for now I'm satisfied with hearing stories from it.

Thing What Kicks
    Yeah, I said in the RPS comments that I've been put off by the fact that everything I've read about it depicts unending and relentless misery, not the kind of thing I want to wrap my head around at the moment.
    And from what I've seen, I'm not sure the simplistic mechanics are enough to satisfy me.

I think the misery thing is overplayed somewhat - it's the game's style, but it's a matter of genre more than anything else. This War of Mine it ain't, nor even Bloodborne. It's more like horror comics in that respect.

It's true, though, that the mechanics are simple. Not easy, since you have to learn to master them, but if you're looking for depth there are much better games.

misery is the games style. not the experience youll get from it.

the combat system, while on the surface simplistic, is actually quite indepth with each character class having multiple playstyles available and each ability has its own unique quirks.

sure if you play it for the very first time youll probably end up restarting 2 hours in, after having learned the basic mechanics. but i wouldnt count that as a negative point.

each mechanic of the game comes with its own risk/reward management aspect. do it take this route? do i use this ability? do i try to loot this object? how many supplied to i take with me? what building and hero do i upgrade first? and more.

its by far the best dungeon crawler released in the past few years. and if youre a fan of stuff like call of cthulu/torchbearer/ftl then youll definitely find yourself at home here.

Well-said. I really like the game, and according to steam I've played over 60 hours since I got it during early access and I'm still enjoying myself and learning new things. But, I wouldn't call it a dungeon crawler, or a rogue-like (or -lite) either. It's really more of a character management game. Who do I take on this mission? Should I tell my guy to take a week off and drink his stress away or use him anyway? What other team combinations can I play with to make these guys more likely to come back in one piece?

I do wish there were more surprises in the dungeons. I've seen one cool, surprising thing but if there were a lot more (like in a true rogue-like) this game would be all the better for it.

Level 10,000 achieved

rez

I picked up the recently released iPad version of Darkest Dungeon so I'd have something to play on my weekend trip to Stockholm. I started on the easiest difficulty, and so far I've done the prologue and 2 proper missions, though I had to retreat from the second one when my guys started getting too beat up, insane, and low on provisions. Haven't lost anyone yet tho, but I'm spending a lot of money on brothels and bars to mend my fragile soldiers' worried minds. I've said before that I prefer when turn based strategy games focus mainly on the missions, with a minimum of inbetween faffing around with upgrades and whatnot, and DD seems to strike a pretty good balance in that regard. The actual combat gameplay is... ok I guess? It's no Steamworld Heist or Frozen Synapse, but it's ok. At least at the moment it's fun enough to keep playing.

The iPad port

It's pretty barebones. The whole thing is locked in a 16:9 aspect ratio, which means a lot of wasted space on the iPad's 4:3 screen, and while all the text is smaller than you usually find in iPad games, it's readable. Seeing an object's description requires you to actually hold down on the object, and this sometimes makes it hard to read what an item is without also selecting and using it! Despite all that, it plays surprisingly well.

The Steamworld Heist iPad port on the other hand is an absolute gem. Unfortunately it cost more than what I paid for the PC version on the last Steam sale, but still worth every penny.