TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: Santa better bring me a...

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Playstation 4

12 21.43%
  • Xbox One

2 3.57%
  • Still insisting on a PC, once I get a new video card

15 26.79%
  • Not buying a new system anytime soon

27 48.21%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Going for a PS4 or Xbox One?

POWERTHIST

anyway, ps4? xbox one? wii u? what is all this i'm playing the genesis version of duke nukem the only game you'll ever need.

I sunk a handful of Queen Dollars into a new system nearly three years ago and so far it's paid off - up until Tomb Raider earlier this year I didn't get my hands on any game I couldn't max with the original spec, not put a penny in it since. Next year might be upgrade time, I'll probably get a new CPU cooler so I can start overclocking that 2600K and a new graphics card, maybe a 780GTX or one of those new R9 290X models depending on what the prices are looking at. My target is The Witcher 3, and since I rather expect that to ship in late 2014 I'm hoping the prices will have gone down sufficiently for that sort of gear. Provided my 570 lasts, one of the fans has come a bit loose, makes grindy noises sometimes.

Down the line, maybe a PS4? Though I dunno, depending on how far down the line, I may want the Xbone for a Kinect-driven home theatre setup. I've got a PS3 now, the rationale was that Xbox "exclusives" are more likely to make it to Windows than PS3 ones.

verbose douchebag
    I am badly in need of a PC upgrade and I think it's going to have be at the motherboard level. Trying to decide if I can be bothered with the hassle of building it myself again or if it's finally time to give in and just buy a pre-built rig called XTREME or MONOTREME or whatever.

Still Subjective
    Unless all you old kit is obsolete it's definitely worth it.

And if the PS4 ran PS3 games I'd sell you my PS3.

I agree with Renz a little - I think we're just less excited about this stuff. It's also less of a step up though. The last generation gap was huge and this one just seems like a small incremental. I hope I'm wrong and the new stuff is amazing but so far I don't see it. Is anything on PS4 going to be better than SotC? Than GTAV? Than Journey?
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Thing What Kicks
    Oh, and another thing that would make me go for PS4 rather than Xbox One?
    There was this little tidbit in the news a few days ago.

Now while the guy isn't the actual CEO (yet), even just mentioning the possibility that this might happen implies that there's a lack of confidence in the Xbox brand amongst the higher-ups.

verbose douchebag
    Not all tech progress is exponential, despite Moore's law. The tech could support 100% simulation of real gaming worlds down to modelling at the atomic level, but you'd still need to fund developers to make it, QA testers to make it work properly etc... I think the ratio of tech gains to extra development time needed to utilise them has just been very favourable in the last 5 years. There may need to be some new innovations in development tools before we see such an increase in quality over such a short time again.

Malf - I remember reading there being quite a few investors calling for Microsoft to spin off the Xbox division, apparently it's still losing money, so I'm not really surprised. But I don't really see it happening, I think Microsoft's still in for the long haul in the console market. And Gates is coming back to, heh, "coach" the new CEO by the looks of it.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    Trying to decide if I can be bothered with the hassle of building it myself again or if it's finally time to give in and just buy a pre-built rig called XTREME or MONOTREME or whatever.
    Well, you've done it before so you know the savings are good. My approach is build it if you can, but then again I don't view it as much of a hassle, it reminds me of playing with lego as a kid. Lego I swear at until I realise I've forgotten to connect the front panel to the mainboard, but still fun.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    So what are you gonna do? Join whatshisface over in FOSS land playing Tuxracer all day, or are you gonna go with a Mac?
    Because Windows is made by Microsoft's Xbox division? Stop gargling with turpentine, it's making you stupid.

But his breath smells minty fresh.

I will keep playing my PS2 bichis.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    he's baaaaaaaaaaack

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Queue View Post
    But his breath smells minty fresh.
    And clean as a crisp winter morn.

Quote Originally Posted by zajazd View Post
    I will keep playing my PS2 bichis.
    Yeah well I'm still playing the 3DO, beach. plumbers don't wear ties is uber fuggin tight bruh

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by NuEffect View Post
    I agree with Renz a little - I think we're just less excited about this stuff. It's also less of a step up though. The last generation gap was huge and this one just seems like a small incremental. I hope I'm wrong and the new stuff is amazing but so far I don't see it. Is anything on PS4 going to be better than SotC? Than GTAV? Than Journey?
    Each generation will always have its substantial upgrades, but as we enter the low grade incline hills of graphical returns, they won't be as immediately noticeable. With the PS4, you're gonna see developers do things with gameplay that wouldn't have been possible with the PS3, and the PS5 will be an even greater advancement from that. But the graphics? They'll be slightly sharper, slightly prettier, slightly more densely packed than the generation before it. It'll all be nice looking, but nothing that'll stop you in your tracks and make you go "whhhhoooooaaa" like you did from the PS1 to the PS2.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    With the PS4, you're gonna see developers do things with gameplay that wouldn't have been possible with the PS3...
    Seriously? Like... What?

I'd wager a guess that it will be things that are more technically oriented (and therefore not as apparent to the gamer) such as being able to have many more particles on the screen than was previously possible. Unreal 4 is what is making me bring this up. The lighting and particles demo for that engine is amazing.

Should go without saying, but since you had to ask, stuff like increased draw distances I would think, higher resolution textures, ability to have more AI on the screen at one time, faster loading times, etc. etc. etc. However, everything I've said could easily apply to the Xbox One, just don't know to what extent compared to the PS4. Actually, probably about the same, maybe just a bit more for playstation. Based on the specs I've seen for these consoles, they seem largely the same except for the type/amount of RAM available and maybe the graphics card?

I don't remember the specs off-hand, but the major difference between Xbone and ps4 in relation to RAM was that the RAM on PS4 is GDDR5 whereas the ram for xbone is gddr3. Someone correct me if I'm off base.

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    Oh, and another thing that would make me go for PS4 rather than Xbox One?
    There was this little tidbit in the news a few days ago.

Now while the guy isn't the actual CEO (yet), even just mentioning the possibility that this might happen implies that there's a lack of confidence in the Xbox brand amongst the higher-ups.
    Elop's denied ever having said that. It's a case of wishful rumourmongering from stockholders, who've been pushing to spin the Xbox division into its own corporate entity practically since its inception. The division has only recently become slightly profitable and went right back into the red once they started gearing up development of the One, so its been bringing down the overall earnings of the rest of Microsoft for over ten years now.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Seriously? Like... What?
    Calling it now:- NO shooter in this coming gen will have enemy AI as good as FEAR 1's.

Chakat sex pillow
    Yes, because the level design that's largely intersecting corridors and a few open areas that was conducive to FEAR 1's AI tricks is fucking boring, so we're not going to see that again unless we get another literal corridor shooter from someone like Monolith.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Yes, because the level design that's largely intersecting corridors and a few open areas that was conducive to FEAR 1's AI tricks is fucking boring, so we're not going to see that again unless we get another literal corridor shooter from someone like Monolith.
    Yes....because the majority of what's on the market now doesn't consist of shitty, linear, corridor shooters.

Most likely the "next gen" games are going to bring the same improvements that previous generation games did: prettier explosions, less gameplay, fancier animations in cutscenes, and even more extreme hollywood penis envy.

Chakat sex pillow
    You're missing the point. Your linear corridor shooters of today aren't as restricted in variety as Fear 1, which had such a dearth of wide open spaces that it felt claustrophobic throughout. Even your average corridor shootan game today realises the need for environmental variety. Monolith realised that eventually with Fear 2, but their AI tech worked best in closed-in areas with multiple paths crisscrossing the layout - hence, FEAR was a game almost completely set in warehouses and company offices.

Also, next-generation cynicism is so tired now I can't help but shake my head. Yes, that is what games will do this generation. Games with huge budgets and AAA polish that remain hollow and soulless are the cash cows.

And yet, they could probably be good too, because things like Uncharted, The Last of Us, Vanquish, and Revengeance are big-budget with pretty explosions and fancy cutscene animations but are also great games.

And yet, there are indies, and they make things like Journey and The Walking Dead, and Sony recognises this perhaps a little more than Microsoft.

I think we're going to be fine this generation.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 14th Nov 2013 at 02:12.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Well, that's pretty much true to the premise, isn't it? Counter-Strike meets Japanese horror?

Ya know....So I just saw a news feed of updates from this Sony Event and I realized why despite as cool as I think the new systems are I just can't get excited about them.

List of big profile games announced that are only going to be on next-gen systems, if I go off Wikipedia......

• Dead Rising 3
    • Uncharted 4
    • Infamous 3
    • Metal Gear Solid 5
    • Forza 5
    • Killzone 4

There's a pattern here...and here are the pattern breakers:

Knack, Ryse, The order 1886.

If I don't count mini indie games...that leaves almost nothing except the exact same games(literally, they're sequels) with minimal improvements to gameplay. Knack for example....has already been reviewed. It's got prettier graphics than current-gen platformers but in every other way is identical to your typical crappy "family friendly" adventure game (reminds me a lot of Kameo). The order isn't coming out for awhile so we will see but....Here's some impressions of Ryse:

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/ry...e-numbers.aspx

At this point it seems like there's no reason to believe that any of the console's developers will use the systems capablities to enhance gameplay. Games are pretty enough now that there isn't much benefit to be had from more amazing explosions or shinier glass.....and unfortunately modern studios are now so risk-averse that the hopes of them putting in anything that changes the gameplay radically (like the way the capabilities of the 360 allowed Capcom to make a zombie game like nobody had ever seen before) is pretty minimal.

No reason to get excited about this generation yet. I'll wait until that happens.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

^
    MGS5 is heading to 7th gen consoles as well. It'll probably be like those early DX10/11 games:- designed for older tech hardware(/APIs) with bolted on graphical effects/systems. Also probably higher res assets too. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is a great example of this already, it was designed for 7th gen consoles first.

DX10/11 has only within the last 3 years started to come into its own because games' renderers are being written for it from the ground up. Star Citizen, Battlefield 3/4, Sleeping Dogs, Bioshock Infinite, Saints Row IV, Call of Duty: Black Ops II, Crysis 3, Just Cause 2, Shattered Horizons, any game using Frostbite 2/3, etc.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 15th Nov 2013 at 00:48.

Well, the harsh judgement of these machines isn't just limited to the "master race" types here.

To give you all an idea of how lukewarm the reception for these new machines is, my best buddy in college (who has never gamed on anything other than a console) has decided not to get either an Xbone or PS4. Instead he's going to put the money into getting a desktop PC.....which will get him a similar level of performance for the same price, and access to a lot of games he can't play now.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast