TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: Santa better bring me a...

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Playstation 4

12 21.43%
  • Xbox One

2 3.57%
  • Still insisting on a PC, once I get a new video card

15 26.79%
  • Not buying a new system anytime soon

27 48.21%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Going for a PS4 or Xbox One?

Chakat sex pillow
    That's a great sample size, one person.

Meanwhile, I hear a million PS4s sold through in North America on day one.

One of the dumbest things to this viewpoint is, of course PCs can play games better, but what are you going to be playing? Almost exactly what's being released on the consoles - multiplat titles. Your only bastion of originality is the indie section, and you don't need particularly powerful PCs for indie games.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    I prefer the term "platform-superior" -- some games just work better on one platform or another.

PC 100% for me. Not one single console exclusive game on the consoles that interests me and the console games which actually look good are coming out on PC anyway, so I see absolutely no point in getting either a PS4 or Xbox One.

Still Subjective
    No console exclusive has ever interested you?

You're a liar, ignorant, an idiot or a Philistine then. There are tons of exclusives, with such a breadth of types that no normal person could find ALL of them unappealing.

Even if you're talking only about the latest generation - there will be so many exclusive games it'd be odd not to like some.

If you think that's not enough of a reason that's fine, but it's not what you've said.

Also - lukewarm? I bet this gen has massive sales. PS4 1 million sales already and I bet Xbone tops that.
    Last edited by SubJeff; 19th Nov 2013 at 02:50.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Chakat sex pillow
    Dial it down, Nuff. No need to throw ill-advised nouns around. He's probably talking about the PS4/Xbone launch line-up, which is anaemic at best even in an objective light.

Quote Originally Posted by NuEffect View Post
    No console exclusive has ever interested you?

You're a liar, ignorant, an idiot or a Philistine then. There are tons of exclusives, with such a breadth of types that no normal person could find ALL of them unappealing.

Even if you're talking only about the latest generation - there will be so many exclusive games it'd be odd not to like some.

If you think that's not enough of a reason that's fine, but it's not what you've said.

Also - lukewarm? I bet this gen has massive sales. PS4 1 million sales already and I bet Xbone tops that.
    I never said that no console exclusive ever has interested me, dumbass, I was talking about the PS4 and Xbox One as stated by this line in my earlier post:

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Not one single console exclusive game on the consoles
    The consoles being the Xbox One and PS4, this being a thread about them.

Earlier consoles had awesome exclusives. For example on the last generation you had Demon Souls, Resistance 1-3, inFamous and the Last of Us on the PS3. To name a few.

But this time round nothing interests me at all from an exclusives point of view, the rest of the good games are coming out on PC anyway as I said.

You just read my post wrong.

Still Subjective
    No I read it right.

You're correct - early generations had some good exclusives so this generation definitely won't have any.

I just think you're being shortsighted.
    Last edited by SubJeff; 19th Nov 2013 at 04:48.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Level 10,000 achieved

jesus you two

You just read my post wrong.
    Actually, Nuff interpreted your post in both ways it could be read, and replied to both. Perhaps you missed this line: "Even if you're talking only about the latest generation - there will be so many exclusive games it'd be odd not to like some."

You're correct - early generations had some good exclusives so this generation definitely won't have any.
    He clearly means there aren't any good exclusives at the moment. No need to be deliberately obtuse just to drag this horrible argument out even longer.

You kidding? That's his M.O.

No I read it right.

I just think you're being shortsighted.
    Well without a crystal ball to tell us what games will be coming out in 2+ years time, all we have is the information available for launch + upcoming games for both systems. I never said they'd never have good exclusives, I was saying in regards to the launch + upcoming games that have been announced so far. Which means so far not never, or for the next 5 years or so. So far.

Take that how you like, but that's all I was speaking in regards to.

Oh and one last reply to an earlier point you raised:
    Which is completely correct if generalized and applied to the majority of people. I was speaking for myself, and as per my own tastes in games. If you'd been reading the "what have you been playing" thread at all over the last few years and seen my posts there, you'd notice that I tend to go for JRPGs, Western RPGs and First Person Shooters. JRPGs on consoles have been dead since the PS3 and XBox 360 came out to a large extent besides portable devices (PSP, DS etc) and there has been a large shift towards Western RPGs ever since. Some do still come out but its not even close to the tidal wave of them that used to come out. And the vast majority of Western RPGs have all been coming out on PC. So that's one category I no longer will find exclusively on consoles for the most part and so will stick to emulation on the PC for the older consoles from when they were more plentiful.

FPS games I will always favor the PC for, though there have been some fantastic ones for consoles in the past (Goldeneye, Resistance, the first Darkness game etc), but nothing of the recently announced games interests me that isn't already going to come out on PC.

So based on my tastes of games that I like to play, there is nothing that interests me to the point where I would buy that console to play that game (ie a killer app). Neither of them.

If you don't like that, tough. It's my opinion.

And this isn't a case of me just going "oh hurr durr consoles suck nowadays blah blah". I quite regularly check ign.com for news on upcoming games on the consoles + read Rock Paper Shotgun etc.
    Last edited by icemann; 19th Nov 2013 at 07:44.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    You kidding? That's his M.O.
    Tru dat. It is.

I could have been nice and fluffy and said - I get where you're coming from, there isn't anything coming out right now that interests me apart from The Witness, but given the PS history with interesting exclusives and the fact that the PS4 should be easier to develop for than the PS3 we're likely to get some interesting exclusives or indies, no?

Would you really want a neutered version?
    Last edited by SubJeff; 19th Nov 2013 at 13:32.

Would you really want a neutered version?
    Yes, because the other option is Evabot-level obnoxious.

Well without a crystal ball to tell us what games will be coming out in 2+ years time, all we have is the information available for launch + upcoming games for both systems. I never said they'd never have good exclusives, I was saying in regards to the launch + upcoming games that have been announced so far. Which means so far not never, or for the next 5 years or so. So far.

Thing is....none of those future releases have any bearing on whether to buy a new console now. There's no reason you can't change the decision later based on whether any fantastic games come out in the future. For example my decision on whether to buy a Vita changed once I found out Persona 4 was being released on that platform.

There's hardly any reason to buy a new console "now" or during the first year of their launch anyway, unless you're really dying to try the new HDed-up FIFA or samey online shooters (Destiny, Titanfall). I'm really treading already covered ground here, but with hardware reliability up, prices down and an extended games library, nothing can go wrong with waiting a little. The PS4 has two notable advantages, the first being its difference in hardware components and architecture (better GPU and more memory bandwidth => multiplatform games will be developed with the more bottlenecked Xbox one in mind, so will breathe a bit more on PS4 as is already being confirmed by developers -- see Battlefield 4); the second being Microsoft's general tendency to move towards an all-encompassing, tightly-controlled 'entertainment and computing experience' that is menacing the dynamism found on the PC, with its first tangible manifestation being a less friendly attitude towards independent developers. Less friendly than Sony at least, although it is likely to change if the PS Live continues being a success.

And although I can appreciate Microsoft's concept of "cloud gaming", I don't believe we can count on it for anything significant yet, with broadband access being as flaky and release day servers as unreliable as ever.

I quite like the way the new DualShock controller integrates the PS Move reliably without the need for a huge Kinect bar, although the latter does seem pretty powerful for a lot of applications (which I mostly don't care about).

Launch day line-ups for both consoles are comparably dull, as is customary, and with the shift of general consumer preference towards the PS4 this time, I don't expect hard-hitting exclusives to make one particular console choice clear any time soon. So, unless reality proves me wrong (incredible exclusives on X1, fantastic support of indie games, useful cloud features), the plan is to wait for a year or two while getting the PC up-to-date before getting a PS4.

I completely agree. The only system I ever bought on launch day was the Vita and I got burned for it. It's a good system now, but to be honest the only actual games I've bought for it -- as in, physical copies for the Vita, and not just PSP games I got off PSN -- were Wipeout and Gravity Rush.

I'll probably get the Batman Vita game for Christmas though.

The only console I've bought around first release time was the PS2, purely based on how awesome the ps1 was, as well as the news around that time regarding Final Fantasy X`s later release in the future.

Was nothing but satisfied with that console. Even early on it had some good games (Summoner, Extermination etc), though of course it wasn't until later that the REALLY good stuff started showing up.

I recall Super Mario World + Star Fox/Star Wing selling MANY SNES consoles on its release.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    I completely agree. The only system I ever bought on launch day was the Vita and I got burned for it. It's a good system now, but to be honest the only actual games I've bought for it -- as in, physical copies for the Vita, and not just PSP games I got off PSN -- were Wipeout and Gravity Rush.

I'll probably get the Batman Vita game for Christmas though.

Go buy it. Right now.

What is that, Persona 4 or something?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Briareos H View Post
    There's hardly any reason to buy a new console "now" or during the first year of their launch anyway
    Well Watch_Dogs should be coming out pretty soon. And if Sony gets the PS+ and PSN thingies up and running and get some solid older titles on there, I might be tempted to get a PS4 sooner rather than later. Not sure how the backwards compatibility or upgrading of older titles to work on PS4 will be like, but to those of you more familiar with this stuff: what are the chances that Demon's Souls, Heavy Rain, MGS4, SotC, or the Uncharteds might show up in some form on PS4 within the first year?

Chakat sex pillow
    Not high. Re-engineering them for an x86 CPU means redoing all the custom SPU code amongst other things along with a lot of testing, which is not a trivial amount of work. The move from 720p to 1080p isn't as stark as the SD 4:3 480p-odd resolutions to widescreen 720p as well, so there's a distinct lack of an oomph factor to push ports out as well.

Level 10,000 achieved

SPEAK ENGLISH DOC, I AIN'T A SCIENTIST!

So it doesn't look too good eh? Damn.

Still Subjective
    Old Uncharted no, but 4 is going to be a PS4 game, no?

What's the situation with streaming play in Europe?

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'm sure the next Uncharteds will be PS4 games, but I was more interested in getting to catch up on PS2-3 classics, on the cheap. Seeing how many old PS2 titles have been dusted off and sold through PSN had me hopeful the same might happen for PS3 titles on PS4, but I guess maybe not.

Still Subjective
    I really don't see why not.

Let's take apart the issues. PS2 was not hard to develop for, PS3 was. Yet stuff got ported, like the ICO, SotC HD and God of War remakes.

Taking something from a hard to develop for system, the PS3, and putting it on a supposedly easy system, the PS4, shouldn't be an issue then should it?

I hope this is the case anyway. And if not - steaming?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast