TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: Santa better bring me a...

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Playstation 4

12 21.43%
  • Xbox One

2 3.57%
  • Still insisting on a PC, once I get a new video card

15 26.79%
  • Not buying a new system anytime soon

27 48.21%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Going for a PS4 or Xbox One?

Southquarter.com/fms
    Watch Dogs will be available on just about every platform, so that's not really a good reason to buy a PS4. And all the stuff with ports of older PS games, even if it's possible they probably wouldn't be available for a while.

The only reason I'd pick up a PS4 is for exclusive games, and at this point there's nothing worthwhile in that category. I'm sure that'll change sometime in the next 365 days though.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by NuEffect View Post
    I really don't see why not.

Let's take apart the issues. PS2 was not hard to develop for, PS3 was. Yet stuff got ported, like the ICO, SotC HD and God of War remakes.

Taking something from a hard to develop for system, the PS3, and putting it on a supposedly easy system, the PS4, shouldn't be an issue then should it?

I hope this is the case anyway. And if not - steaming?
    Streaming.

It's an imperfect solution compared to a native offline recompile, but since they already have Gaikai, they might as well. This was the plan all along, I believe.

Meanwhile, while it may be easier to develop for the PS4, that doesn't take away the fact that porting still takes time and manpower. Also, who knows what the ROI calculation on that's going to be, and especially whether people are going to buy an HD-er version of an HD version of a PS2 game they might already have. As far as PS3 ports are concerned, Uncharted 2/3 would looks lovely at 1080p 60 FPS, certainly, but would that be enough of a reason for me to buy them again compared to the 720p 30 FPS experience? Not really, and I doubt I'm alone in that regard.

Still Subjective
    I haven't played Uncharted, though I'm told it's good. Should a PS4 version be any better though?
    Last edited by SubJeff; 20th Nov 2013 at 15:19.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Chakat sex pillow
    Que?

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

I haven't played Uncharted, though I'm told it's good. Should a PS4 version be any better though?
    Ever played a classic Tomb Raider title (pre-2013 reboot) before? Ever played a 3rd person shooter with cover-based shooting? Ever seen "Romancing the Stone"? If yes to all three, then you've already experienced Uncharted.

Chakat sex pillow
    Ever played Tomb Raider? (2013 reboot?) In that case, you know what Uncharted is going to play like.

Mr. Neon Genesis Evangelion aside, Uncharted on a PS4 can't be any better than what you get on the PS3 except for the higher resolution and 60 Hz update. They're polished, smooth, eminently playable throughout, and if you value a good ripping yarn with great characters and dialogue a la the good Indiana Jones movies, the choice whether to play Uncharted 2/3 is essentially a no-brainer. I've said it before with no irony, and I will say it again: Uncharted 2 is the PS3/X360 generation's AAA high-point. It can not be touched.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    If you like it so much why don't you marry it?

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    I've said it before with no irony, and I will say it again: Uncharted 2 is the PS3/X360 generation's AAA high-point. It can not be touched.
    Even better than Uncharted 3? Well hell then. I guess I don't have any excuse to miss out on it, then.

Uncharted on a PS4 can't be any better than what you get on the PS3 except for the higher resolution and 60 Hz update.
    ...this, I don't entirely agree with. That could be what it ultimately ends up being, and I doubt a single person would complain, but all that extra hardware could make for much larger, more varied environments, potentially smarter enemy AI, even wilder setpieces. Basically bigger better everything.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 20th Nov 2013 at 20:39.

So Uncharted really is like the Tomb Raider reboot, eh? Well that's one less reason to get a PS4.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Even better than Uncharted 3? Well hell then. I guess I don't have any excuse to miss out on it, then.

...this, I don't entirely agree with. That could be what it ultimately ends up being, and I doubt a single person would complain, but all that extra hardware could make for much larger, more varied environments, potentially smarter enemy AI, even wilder setpieces. Basically bigger better everything.
    Key word there is "could". All of that would require substantially more effort and creativity from the design team, with relatively little return on investment because the "dudebro" crowd that drives games sales won't appreciate those things. More likely we'll get the exact same but with more bloom and HDR>

Also....I actually thought the first Uncharted was the best of the series. Uncharted 2 and 3 sacrificed a lot on atmosphere for the sake of Hollywood penis envy.

Why would all of Hollywood envy a penis? It seems so small and insignificant when compared to a whole zip code.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    That's to be expected though, and have you seen the set pieces in 2/3? I think we can safely say we've reached the point of diminishing returns at least in terms of throwing more tech at that sort of spectacle. It's already pretty damn wild. It can look better, of course. They can do more subtle things now, sure, like destructible buildings and larger environments, but I can't see it being as major a leap this time from, say, Jak 3 to Uncharted 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Briareos H View Post
    So Uncharted really is like the Tomb Raider reboot, eh? Well that's one less reason to get a PS4.
    Well, it's really the other way around. The new TR picked up entire parts of Uncharted wholesale, from the platforming to the way the combat is handled. That's not going to change your opinion on either, of course, but you know what to point the blame at now for TRTRTR 2013.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 21st Nov 2013 at 01:36.

The new Tomb Raider is Uncharted with a few chunks of Arkham Asylum mixed in. Polished, competent, and utterly soulless.

Chakat sex pillow
    Can't help but agree. It feels like it was designed by committee, even though it's probably the most amazing-looking multiplatform game ever made. Rhianna Pratchett wrote the story, and it's... well, there's good bits, strange bits, and silly bits towards the end, but in the end it all feels rather phoned in. Which is sad, because CD's capable of so much better.

Like Gex!

... what?

So....been hearing a bit more on the buzz for this, and it seems like a lot of Microsoft published Xbox 1 titles have something in common:

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Rys...age-60690.html

"Fee-to-pay"

Still Subjective
    So has anyone got one?

I'm especially interested to know how the PS4 is.

A game console?
    Never EVER!

Helpful.

Much like my post.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by gnartsch View Post
    A game console?
    Never EVER!
    And why would you?

I'm especially interested to know how the PS4 is.
    It has no gaemz.

henke that was one of the best gifs ever!

verbose douchebag
    Seconded.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    That gif is terrifying.

[half an hour later]

Not as terrifying as this very relevant picture however.
    Last edited by dethtoll; 27th Nov 2013 at 10:23.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast