TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Degenerate Portal - SOLVED

Degenerate Portal - SOLVED

I'm getting this error message in the monolog:

ERROR: degenerate portal in cell 155 (vtx [631.83942 637.24719 192.] nrm [-038268343 -0.9238795 0.], engine can hang if not fixed.

Also, it appears that the first number set is the vertex's location and the second set is also a location (nrm = normal?) If so, and it's all part of the same cell, there's something seriously screwed up.

How do I find this cell?
    Last edited by Ricebug; 14th Nov 2013 at 08:28.

How did you find it the last time you had this error? (You really have to stop doing this to yourself.)

I thought it sounded familiar. Doing a topic search for 'degenerate cell' and 'degenerate' revealed no results.

Since I've posted this ...cough... twice now, I figured I'd better post the fix also.

Easy. Use the cam coordinates in Dromed's lower right corner to go to the offending vertex. (It will land on one of the brush's corners.) Delete the brush and try something different.

This error comes up as a result of sloppy brushwork.

What's a sloppy brush? Is it a combination of FillSolid and FillWater?

The track and gravel bed is an object. To make it blend correctly into the warehouse slab, I added the solid brush you see outlined in the screenshot. To try and match the object's bevel, I added a wedge air brush that had to be snapped at 10 to get close. This was causing the error. Replacing it with a small pile of dirt and a shovel sticking out solved the problem.

I just got this error. I used the command vm_teleport x,y,z to go to the coordinates in the error messages. It appeared to center around a single air brush with no visible problems that I could detect. I resnapped the brush to the grid, optimized, and the error messages went away. Just putting this here for posterity.

That'll teach you to hang out with degenerates!

Really!