TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Fallout 4?

How are guys going on about how crap the grphics look? It looks superb to me. For gods sake what happened to you guys? IT USED TO BE ABOUT THE GAME MAN

Level 10,000 achieved
    I guess we're going on about the graphics because it's hard to judge anything else about it yet. Come E3 we'll get more juicy deets to argue/discuss.

Looks decent to me. Not an upgrade of jaw-dropping levels but a bit more colourful than before, at least.

Honestly if this is just Fallout3\NV with a minor graphics boost and a new world and story then... I'll still end up playing it obsessively every night for a month or two.

Chakat sex pillow
    And let's be honest - FO3 wasn't exactly the greatest game ever - in terms of writing, voice acting, or gameplay. FO3 was a decent effort all around, but its real success was in translating the universe of Fallout's wasteland into 3D. What made most of it worthwhile was the exploration and atmosphere and *ding* of discovering new things and places. NV is a far better effort at an actual Fallout game in terms of writing and wasteland shenanigans (as it should be, since it's basically Black Isle doing their next Fallout game).

While atmosphere and exploration doesn't require the bestest graphics ever, one would expect a powerhouse like Beth to be a bit more forward-looking considering they own id, a company that used to dictate the future of gaming FPS engines before Rage came out and they turned a sharp corner that veered them off into irrelevance. Wolfenstein and The Evil Within, both titles that Beth have published, use id tech 5 and look amazing. That they're still using Gamebryo from the time of goddamn Morrowind* makes me wonder if it's complacency or laziness or stagnation that makes them think an open-world game engine can still have loading screens every time you open a door that leads into a house or outside of it.

*As a code base. Of course Beth's rewritten major chunks of it, but slapping on a new renderer and saying a game uses an entirely new engine is more clever PR than anything else .
    Last edited by Sulphur; 4th Jun 2015 at 13:58.

Are we sure that they aren't using IdTech 5? I'm not sure I could make an engine determination one way or another just by looking at a trailer, especially since the art/animation dictate the visual style and not the renderer.

Chakat sex pillow
    Doesn't look like it, Jason. The animation and lighting look identical to that of FO3/Skyrim, with some improvements here and there, from what I can tell.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Pretty sure the installation would be gigantic if they tried using IdTech5. One of the beauties of Bethesda's engine is how compact an installation it allows for. Skyrim on the 360 came on just 1 DVD. ONE DVD! FOR ALL THAT CONTENT! Rage meanwhile came on 3 DVDs and wasn't nearly as big a gameworld.

I 100%-completed* both FO and NV, as well as all their add-ons, so you could say I quite enjoy my time in this world.

Still, the trailer did originally leave me cold. It's not that I disliked the graphics. Far from it. Whilst not particularly mind-blowing I thought it all looked quite nice, actually. The added colour certainly helps.

I think my main problem was that it was all the same stuff I'd seen before, just with an additional lick of paint. The same cityscapes, the same creatures, the same robots, etc. There didn't seem anything new at all, really.

Then I remembered that there were even less changes between FO1 and FO2, and that didn't stop FO2 from becoming one of the greatest RPGs ever made.

So, yeah, looking forward to this.

* When I say 100%-completed, I mean I got ALL achievements. Whilst I may not have seen absolutely everything the games have to offer, I'm sure I got pretty damn close on both games.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Some people did some mighty fine sleuthing and figured out how the FO4 map might look, based on hints in the trailer.

I don't know much about Boston, but the Battery Tower instantly reminded me of the Enclave Oil Rig. It would be cool if this was their local HQ, looming over the city, HL2-style.

I found Boston to be an interesting place to visit and I really enjoyed the time that I spent there during a holiday I had in the US many years ago, but as far as a Fallout setting is concerned it feels very meh. I'm also not that taken over by the new colour scheme to be honest, or the music track in that video, which when combined together fail to produce an atmosphere that aligns with any of the other fallout games. Sure, there were major differences between all 3 games (which is a good thing), but there was always a certain bleakness and a sense of foreboding that pervaded the atmosphere of these games. At this stage, all that has been presented is some well known Fallout assets juxtaposed over some familiar looking settings, so not really much to get excited over; or, should I add, much to be alarmed over either.

I'm sure I will spend countless hours playing it, just like I did with Fallout 3 and NV. It's just that if Bethesda put this video together to get people excited about another sequel, then I don't think that they have achieved much here in identifying what we should be looking forward to beyond the general appeal of having another Fallout game.

If you're planning to pre-order, Green Man Gaming has it on sale for $45 with the code GRAB25-PERCNT-OFFNOW

Fallout 4 Combat Gameplay Compilation...

Fallout 4 Gameplay Exploration...

Ha, I knew Codsworth (the robot butler) sounded familiar. It's Stephen Russell!

Yep...He does all the "Mr. Handy" robots in Fallout 3 and 4.

Also, Codsworth will be a traveling companion.

Game Director, Todd Howard, comments on the visual details and weather system...

...FO4 will feature a newly upgraded Creation Engine, featuring full physical based rendering and dynamic volumetic lighting.

Interesting tidbit at the end there about some sort of radiation storms rolling out into the world. Kinda like blowouts in STALKER?

After watching this video you can definitely see how much more advanced the engine is from their previous games, which was difficult to discern from the original E3 footage. At this stage it's really just the animations that are lagging behind.

While the game looks gorgeous and all, the style hasn't really grown on me yet for a Fallout game. I take their point about how FO3 might have overly oppressive to some players after six hours or so but personally I found the bleakness immersive. New Vegas did a better job of providing greater contrast through a variety of different settings without losing that sense of bleakness.

Quote Originally Posted by Ostriig View Post
    Interesting tidbit at the end there about some sort of radiation storms rolling out into the world. Kinda like blowouts in STALKER?
    I'm liking the idea of a dynamic weather system...as it will delightfully increase the sense of vulnerability and immersion.

Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    After watching this video you can definitely see how much more advanced the engine is from their previous games, which was difficult to discern from the original E3 footage.
    I agree, this new footage really shows off the graphic quality of the game.

Artistic Fine Detail + Higher Texture Resolution (facilitated by the new engine) = High-fidelity visual aesthetics

I take their point about how FO3 might have overly oppressive to some players after six hours or so but personally I found the bleakness immersive. New Vegas did a better job of providing greater contrast through a variety of different settings without losing that sense of bleakness.
    From a universe standpoint...in the stratosphere, the nuclear particle fallout effect would eventually start to dissipate into patches of clear sky throughout various regions of the world...and given the contrast of blue sky, in relation to the dynamic weather system with randomized radiation storms, I expect Fallout 4 to be the most immersive Fallout yet.

Fallout 4 gives you more!

More art assets!...

More dialogue!...

...https://twitter.com/BethesdaStudios/media

That's a lot of lines...I'm sure that includes plenty of Stephen Russell, for our auditory pleasure...

Interesting to note, that the main character will actually speak during the game.
    Last edited by Vae; 4th Sep 2015 at 00:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    Interesting to note, that the main character will actually speak during the game.
    Which probably goes a very long way to explaining the statistic that there's more voice acting than FO3 and Skyrim combined!

verbose douchebag
    I'm definitely intrigued. Bethesda were taking a risk with FO3, they aren't with FO4 so it'll be good to see what a load of extra money and time will do for the production values. Fingers crossed they've upped their animation game.

Has anyone seen this Fallout 4 S.P.E.C.I.A.L series that's been coming out? There's a video for each attribute, except for agility and luck which have not been released yet...
    Strength
    Perception
    Endurance
    Charisma
    Intelligence

Southquarter.com/fms
    System Requirements are out, btw:

Minimum
    Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit OS required)
    Intel Core i5-2300 2.8 GHz/AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0 GHz or equivalent
    8 GB RAM
    30 GB free HDD space
    NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or equivalent

Recommended
    Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit OS required)
    Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz/AMD FX-9590 4.7 GHz or equivalent
    8 GB RAM
    30 GB free HDD space
    NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB/AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB or equivalent
    I'm in the middle somewhere, probably leaning towards the higher end.

And here's a current voucher code (good through 10/13) over on Green Man gaming to get 23% off, knocking to price down to around $45 or so. Might as well if you're going to buy anyway. But if you miss it, they have vouchers all the time.