TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: "No Man's Sky" is procedural sci-fi exploration, and *purdy*.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    That's a 65DaysOfStatic track, I'm not sure their music will feature in game.
    Would love that have their soundstracks ingame though, fits so well with the setting, the colors and all that.

verbose douchebag
    It would be nice, but not affordable.

Still Subjective
    Gawd this looks good. Its like a classic sci-fi novel brought to life, like Rendezvous With Rama, The Forever War, The Drowned World, Red Planet or The Martian Chronicles or something. That's probably because of the book covers but it's so other-worldy, so alien, it reminds me of novels like that.

And as Ulukai said, it does bring a lot of Outcast-vibes back, such as the environmental scanning, the animals, the style and colors.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    It would be nice, but not affordable.
    Wouldn't say so. The band has always done weird stuff that excites them (recording fuckloads of stuff, creating awesome merch themselves, making a soundtrack to an awesome old scifi movie and playing shows with them orchestrating it live) and they're probably one of the most hyperactive bands around atm, when it comes to creating new stuff. Their financial plan is to be awesome and get much love for being awesome instead of racking in cash from sales (check their stance on piracy for example.

verbose douchebag
    Well I'd love to be wrong of course

No Man's Sky AKA NO Man's Jaw Closed

More info via Polygon: http://www.polygon.com/a/e3-2014/no-mans-sky

This game looks like (and sounds like) it's full of so much win.

One thing that I'm still curious about is how well this thing will actually perform technically. While reading the article, the way No Man's Sky was being described made it seem like when you find new areas you'd get stuff loading in, (I think of Minecraft where "chunks" of terrain pop into existence as you traverse the world) but a bit after I thought about that the article addresses loading.

The developer basically says there won't be loading. I don't understand how that'd be, but if loading is non-existent or so miniscule you can't tell then... awesome!

He just means features are procedurally generated from a seed, not loaded from memory. There may well still be a delay sometimes with procedurally generating features that could lead to chunks popping in maybe. That's different than the way he seems to be using the term "loading".

Edit: This is the same setup that all procedural games use. If a player makes any changes, though, then that would have to be saved to memory & loaded. But I think I recall something about limits on what changes players can make; like you can't change the geometry, but you could make a species go extinct.

Edit2: Incidentally, if you want to see the concept in action, Space Engine does basically the same thing just with the universe and planet exploration part, finding new planets with different properties. It's just not really a game. I love it for pure exploring though.
    Last edited by demagogue; 20th Jun 2014 at 19:22.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the info.

I guess either way it'll still be fun, hopefully it just won't be a major distraction. While it was clear stuff was being loaded in on the game Minecraft, it wasn't too bad I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    the way No Man's Sky was being described made it seem like when you find new areas you'd get stuff loading in
    You can see pop-in in the video they released, particularly when he's leaving the first planet. It's somewhat obscured by fog and the angle of the camera but it's there.

So.. PS4. For now.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...ampaign=buffer

Quote Originally Posted by GameInformer
    While Hello Games isnt discussing other platforms now, a representative suggested to us that once the PlayStation 4 version is finished, the studio could turn its attention to other formats. This isnt a guarantee that it will happen, but its safe to say that No Mans Sky isnt necessarily a PlayStation exclusive for the life of the title. Hello Games will have the option to decide later to expand its horizons to PC and other consoles

verbose douchebag
    Well, fuck.

From the sidebar of this article:

The wording is we're doing a console debut on PS4, says Murray. The thing that that leaves open is a PC version.

Does that mean a PC version could arrive day and date with the PS4 No Man's Sky - or possibly even before? If I'm honest, we're taking on quite a lot at the moment, says Murray. We're definitely coming to PS4. I would like to come to PC. Whether that arrives the same day - we're a small team!
    Sounds a lot like it's not really a matter of 'if' but 'when', and they're just not confirming it yet because of the Sony deal.

Ah. That helps clarify things better. I mean, I could have swarn it was confirmed for PC waaay back but I guess they changed their tune when getting a deal with Sony.

New video - Hello Games history and more on No Man's Sky

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Trust Eva to find something negative to say about the most amazing looking game ever.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

It's utterly ambitious and remains to be seen if you they can pull it off. I suspect that many will remain skeptical until they can actually play it.

Meanwhile I can literally play Elite Dangerous right now and it has a working online persistent universe with economy.

The comment that you need to "co-operate with other players" to reach the end-game is a little disconcerting.

Another thing on the topic of feared PS4 exclusivity, if you look closely at the sixth picture in this gallery, it looks like Ryan is working on SLI support and Sean on cleaning up the keyboard controls, which they probably wouldn't be doing if this wasn't going to be on PC.

Chakat sex pillow
    Sure, it's probably coming to PC eventually, but console games are developed on PCs to begin with, so don't take that as confirmation of a working PC build for the masses just yet.

That's true, but SLI support seems like an odd thing to be working on this early if a PC version is a someday-maybe kind of possibility rather than a release goal.

So, as we suspected and hoped, it is coming to PC.

No Man's Sky is a PS4 timed exclusive:
    http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/1/5960...imed-exclusive

here's a behind the scenes 30 minute video I found

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featur...ampaign=buffer

Three and a half months! Three and a half months!

Is anyone else as excited for this as I am? I never usually get hyped for videogames before release, but this one has got me frothing.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...tions-answered

Sounds like it will be quite a slow-paced experience, which suits me just fine. I'm sure some will hate it, but everything I've heard about this game makes me think I will enjoy every second.