TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: "No Man's Sky" is procedural sci-fi exploration, and *purdy*.

Taking a break
    It looks good in a whole lot of ways, especially in how much of a technical marvel it is.
    Besides exploring endless vast space with endless amount of planets there doesn't seem to be much to do. And from the videos I've seen up to this point the planets are all starting to look kinda samey. In part it is due to hyper-saturated colors, in part it is due to not having seen any lifeless planets like Mars/Venus/Jupiter/Pluto etc. (indeed, planets you perhaps cannot land on without disintegrating). Maybe they just haven't shown those (or I missed it somehow), but I would've liked those to be part of the universe as well. Maybe all this (planets and more gameplay) is in the game, though.

However it turns out, this game looks like a solid step forward in gaming.

I think I remember an interview where they said there'll be plenty of lifeless rocks, they just aren't showing them in promo videos because they're not as trailer-exciting.

If the game had literally no functionality beyond "Explore space and name aliens", I'd still be well on board. But there's also trading, resource mining, piracy and space battles, alien races to learn the language of and communicate with, and an overarching fiction with a goal to get to the centre of the galaxy. However I do think if the idea of discovering never-before-seen worlds isn't appealing, you might not get as much out of it. But just that concept alone makes me giddy as a school girl.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    Is anyone else as excited for this as I am? I never usually get hyped for videogames before release, but this one has got me frothing.
    Nah, it looks like a giant procedurally-generated sandbox game where you have no clear goals. I can see it getting old really fast.

verbose douchebag
    That's definitely a possibility - I'm cautiously excited - will hold off until I see what the verdict is.

With the price tag (€60) and the vagueness of the gameplay in general, I'm not actually interested in this game any more.

Chakat sex pillow
    I'm not a fan of anything procedural. Having said that, this one does have a goal: get to the centre of the galaxy. Hopefully there's something worthwhile there apart from, you know, supermassive black holes that rip you apart and feed your particle stream slowly through the event horizon, at which point time freezes for whatever's left of your cosmically clusterfucked particles - and the game - forever.

That would be quite a downer ending...

Chakat sex pillow
    Oh, I don't know, it could be worse. I mean, what if you spent 15 hours working your way to the galactic centre, only to find the game ends with a recorded message from Peter Molyneux.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I never usually get hyped for videogames before release, but this one has got me frothing.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...tions-answered
    Interesting. Pip at RPS also had half an hour with the game and it did shed more light on how it actually plays. It sounds alright. Kinda like The Long Dark mixed with Elite Dangerous?

Taking a break
    [..]and an overarching fiction with a goal to get to the centre of the galaxy.[..]
    I thought they said the center of the universe. If it's only the center of a galaxy then there's indeed a supermassive black hole waiting for you (if it follows basic physics, which it looks like it might).

Checked the article again - indeed, it speaks in the context of the universe. Maybe it'll be the birth of the universe itself and you're gonna have to go back billions of years to get to it.

Chakat sex pillow
    Right, checked the articles as well and it is indeed the centre of the universe. Which would be an odd thing to do unless it's driven by some sort of an existential underpinning, because what would you find at the centre of the universe? Where would the centre be in a universe where space probably wraps around itself like the earth, anyway?

And if you could trace it, it would be ground zero (well, space zero) for the biggest material expansion posited in existence if the Big Bang actually happened, and would probably have a whole bunch of homogenous nothing along with, possibly, god; or a spectacularly mangled section of space-time bleeding into other dimensions|universes that'd be difficult to imagine, let alone mathematically model.

Either way, colour me intrigued now.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 5th Mar 2016 at 13:09.

Taking a break
    From the way the dev man talked, it felt like "Come for the jouney to the center of the universe, stay for the actual game". Which is cool. He believes the game has good substance.

It could be like the plot of Star Trek 6 where there was heaven and an entity claiming to be god there.

I already like exploring in SpaceEngine and was looking forward to it getting a little gamified, since it's as realistic as sims get. But I'm open minded. If they take NMS in an EveOnline direction that could be interesting, since people will be invested in protecting planets they found and like.

I would've said it's silly for the game not having a central goal but then Mainkraft/Obliquevion/Skyrum/JistCuz all prove there is allure in pure sandbox just-dicking-around games.

Not allure that appeals to me sadly... yet the game is a bit intriguing. I'd play it if I got it dirt cheap or as a gift but not gonna be shelling out $60 on it.

I think universe/galaxy are interchangeable here. The game's big, but it's not that big!

And the main appeal of Minecraft (for me at least) is the unique sense of genuine exploration that comes from the world being procedural.

Taking a break
    Right, but in the case of a universe there's nothing in particular revolving around it (indeed, there's really no clearly definable center in our universe), and in the case of a galaxy, everything within it is (and it's deadly). That said, it's not our own universe and they are taking some creative liberties with that.

Also yeah, would be awesome to patent a planet you've discovered. Developers are finding more and more clever ways to significantly devalue pirating a game . Also, the game being the size it is, it would probably benefit greatly from blizzard-like things like social events organized by the developers (but on a galactic scale) and whatever craziness EVE does.

Does anyone know how exactly is the game procedurally generated? I imagine each first-time discovery of a planet is procedurally generated, but what else? Star maps? That sounds like an endless universe (any newbie after many years could discover things!). And more importantly, does the stuff once generated stay that way until the end of everything?
    Last edited by Thor; 6th Mar 2016 at 05:03.

It's not creating new content so much as it's just an algorithm you plug xyz values into and the math regularly spits out the same content every time. So yes, that same blade of grass on that planet will always be there. What it doesn't do that Minecraft does is save player changes. So you can't really change anything about a planet except naming it.

@demagogue
    Geeky correction: God at the centre of the galaxy was Star Trek 5; ST6 was the one about peace with the Klingons.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    It's not creating new content so much as it's just an algorithm you plug xyz values into and the math regularly spits out the same content every time. So yes, that same blade of grass on that planet will always be there. What it doesn't do that Minecraft does is save player changes. So you can't really change anything about a planet except naming it.
    Yeah not sure how that's going to work with the deformable terrain & resource mining. I guess it resets once you get to LOD distance.

Ok so where are y'all? I need reviews!

So far the reaction seems to be, broadly, "It sucks. All you do is wander around infinite space tinkering with stuff" and "It's awesome! You wander around infinite space tinkering with stuff!"

Thing What Kicks
    I was initially interested, but when they announced the pricing, I was swiftly put off.
    This sounds like a game I'd spend 20-25 on, but the 40 they're asking for it?
    Sod off!

I played an hour or so this morning, and so far it's everything I hoped it would be. But if you've watched videos and thought it looked boring, probably give it a miss, it's not for you - it plays exactly how I was expecting from watching videos.

This morning I was deposited on a boiling hellscape of a planet, and had to quickly learn about recharging my thermal protection while I desperately scouted about for bits to fix my spaceship. I discovered a giraffe-patterned leggy thing with an enormous claw-like lower jaw, so I called it a giraffichomp. Then I had to go to work.

Level 10,000 achieved
    How does the ship handle? Is it fun to fly? Does it feel somewhat realistic? Also is there, like, any depth whatsoever to the combat?

Southquarter.com/fms
    I have questions too - Are there goals/objectives, specific things to accomplish? How about an ending - is there a way to complete the game? Everything I read says it's just open world exploring and casual flying, which sounds like it could get old after a while.

There's supposedly the overarching goal of reaching the center of the universe.