TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: "No Man's Sky" is procedural sci-fi exploration, and *purdy*.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I expect that not everyone will be a fan of Cool Ghosts' style, but if you enjoy their stuff or at least don't mind it, you might like their recent video on "No Man's Land: The Best Game Ever":

They seem to have comments disabled on their videos. What fucking cowards.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Makes sense to me. I've yet to see a YouTube comment worth reading.

verbose douchebag

Cowards are most of the people who comment on YT videos (or on FB/Twitter posts by people they don't personally know).

Better in a lot of cases. Only place where comments arent' useless is with places like MSNBC/FOX where commenters will swiftly fact-check the reporters and usually find something completely wrong within a matter of minutes. Now most media sites have disabled comments.

And agreed on the cowardice. I know one guy who has had problems with the PUA types trolling his channel(after he made fun of MGTOW/PUA types) and he'll disable the comments just because he knows they enjoy flaming in the comments, and disabling comments/thumbing just pisses them off more.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    Makes sense to me. I've yet to see a YouTube comment worth reading.
    There are some factually wrong things stated in the video. Can you give feedback? Nope. Again, they come across like fucking cowards who don't want any interaction from their audience.

If alternative places are given then that's fine. Eg TotalBiscuit redirects his audience to his sub-reddit.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 11th Sep 2016 at 23:28.

Or you can just save yourself the trouble of reading a bunch of mindless drivel and disable the comments. Especially if you don't give a fuck about people's opinions on your content (and why would you).

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Youtubers who use it as their full-time job should care. They are nothing without their viewers.

Commenters are only ever an extreme minority of viewers. I get the impulse but it's kind of funny how we've fashioned commenting into a right of some sort. It's talked about like it should be some sort of protected norm, but when a history of the net as part of overall media is written in like 30 years or something I think they'll mention this free comment era like it's part of some experiment we should have known was never really going to work.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Youtubers who use it as their full-time job should care. They are nothing without their viewers.
    Individual viewers are not as important as they think they are. Most people don't comment on videos.

totalbiscuit turned off his comment section pretty much the instant the feature was introduced and, according to his own words based on his internal statistics, did not see a noticeable drop in viewership.

turning off comments is good, or at least doesent matter, once a channel reaches a certain size. (a few thousand views per video. which is pretty tiny)

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    They seem to have comments disabled on their videos. What fucking cowards.
    Had you paid attention you would have picked up the pointer to the website, which also has a forum for discussion. It's a good way of filtering out the idiots who won't want to comment that much. They can go and watch Markiplier laughing stupidly as he types "dick" and "masturbate" into Google Feud in various combinations. In fact they should be made to watch it for ten hours...

Level 10,000 achieved
    No Man's Sky just added spacetrucks and put the game on a 16 sale on the PS Store, so I finally took the plunge and picked up a copy.

Only played for 30 min on Survival Mode so far, haven't gotten anywhere near a spacetruck (or spaceship) yet. Mostly I've just been running around and freezing to death (4 times in a row). I've managed to repair my equipment and build a boltcaster, but I can't find anything to recharge my Life Support Systems with anywhere on this frostbitten hellhole of a planet!

Southquarter.com/fms
    I played this not too long ago, got it as an Xmas gift. I only played for a few hours, but I didn't think it was as horrible as some people say. I like crafting games, so I got some fun out of it. Need to get back to it though.

Thing What Kicks
    Hah, there's a Marathon symbol in that video when the player goes into the base

Level 10,000 achieved
    I started up a new game on Normal last night, and spent most of this Sunday exploring the galaxy. I've jumped to my second starsystem, and begun work on my own base on a very pleasant, somewhat Earth-like planet. This game has me hooked. I'd love to keep playing (gotta find some Voltronic doohickeys so I can build a beacon and an exopad!), but it's getting late and I'm supposed to get up for work in the morning.

Thing What Kicks
    I've picked it up too, although on Steam. I did try Survival mode first, but the game dumped me on a frozen planet, near to a shed, but miles from my ship, and the constant deaths from failing life support systems with no way to repair them made me restart on normal.

And I'm quite enjoying it! Sure, it's not the game Hello and Sony hyped it up to be, but it's really quite compelling. I'm not sure how the game plays out beyond the crafting and survival mechanics, but those are enough to entertain me for a while.

Bit disappointed there's a profanity filter when you're naming stuff; I'll just have to come up with inventive language
    Even more concerning on naming stuff, the text entry fields don't support normal text entry features such as autorepeat, letter-word-sentence selection or Home/End. Bah.

And the proc-gen parameters look like they might have been tightened a little too much, as having restarted, I've noticed that a lot of the flora and minerals at least look very similar no matter where you start. Do boulders and stalagmites / stalactites really need different names if they're on different planets?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Heh, sounds like we had the exact same experience with regards to starting on Survival Mode. Wasn't expecting it to be harder than The Long friggin Dark.

As for scanning/naming stuff, I haven't really bothered with that beyond scanning the occasional wildlife. For boulders and the like I'm guessing they're mainly quite similar everywhere for simple readability reasons. Don't want players spending too much time wondering about which landscape-shape produces Iron every time they get to a new planet. The animals definitely could use more variety tho. I'm seeing the same space-spiders and mini-stegosauruses on lots of planets.

Thing What Kicks
    Yeah, first creature I saw had stegasaurus plates, so he's now called Stegabob.
    I have come across one large creature on my planet, some weird giant Spore reject with four wings, but it's completely flightless. Even that's nowhere near as big as the things shown in the now infamous preview.

Think I'll have to leave this planet rather than set up base. It's still a little too cold for my liking, and there's no water.

Level 10,000 achieved
    PIX!

NMS's has a Photo Mode now! I love Photo Modes.

This is my base. However I'm thinking of giving up on the base building for now and build a new one further into the universe. Having a hard time finding the parts for the Roamer Exobay, and it turns out I've built this on a rather small island, so I wouldn't be able to drive very far once I got my vehicles built anyway.

The space combat is not very deep, but still a welcome diversion from the monotony of planet-jumping.

An angry Space T-Rex, near my home base.

Look at this cute little guy!

Thing What Kicks
    I'm nowhere near as practised as you with photomode tools henke, but here's a resident of my planet. I caught it in this pose and figured it looked like it was eating leaves from the tree

Southquarter.com/fms
    Nice pics. Hey henke, are you playing on PS4? What's your method for getting screenshots off the console?

Level 10,000 achieved
    USB stick. You can copy them over via the Capture Gallery.

Look at this cute little guy!
    You'd be a great asset in Umbrella Corp. PR department.

Level 10,000 achieved
    *builds base*
    *builds exoterminal so he can build Roamer groundvehicle*
    *needs voltaic cells for Roamer Exobay, needs scientist for voltaic cells, spends around 6-7 hours traveling through 10 or so starsystems in search of scientist. Finally finds one. Hires scientist.*
    *builds voltaic cells*
    *builds Roamer Exobay*
    *gets Roamer*
    *drives around for 5 min*

ok I'm done with the game now.