TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: "No Man's Sky" is procedural sci-fi exploration, and *purdy*.

"No Man's Sky" is procedural sci-fi exploration, and *purdy*.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRpDn5qPp3s

The video doesn't tell you too much about the gameplay, but this is clearly one to keep an eye on.

It reminds me of The Precursors (but I imagine that'll be a fairly superficial likeness).

Level 10,000 achieved
    Aww man, that does look amazing.

I especially like how the color of the sky changes when he's leaving the atmosphere of the planet and flying up towards the spacestation.

verbose douchebag
    Fantastic! I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    Fantastic! I'll be keeping an eye on this one.
    They just need to be careful that this doesn't turn into another battlecruiser.

verbose douchebag
    I'm not getting the reference.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

DEREK SMART

The Battlecruiser games, if I recall correctly, were infamous for basically promising the world, getting bloated under extreme feature creep, and then being released in a buggy, unfinished, but extremely complicated state.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    DEREK SMART
    I've always wanted to test this rumor:

Derek Smart, Derek Smart, Derek Smart.

*waits*

My amateur GIMP skills have failed me. You'll just have to imagine a picture of Derek Smart with bees crawling out of his mouth.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Pretty sure some people do that on a regular basis anyway.

Level 10,000 achieved

JUST LOOK AT THIS THING

I hope it gets Oculus Rift support. Would work wonderfully with this one I think.

Moderator and Priest
    If the actual game is even half as cool as what they're showing here, then I think we're all rooting for the wrong space sims.

Holy damn hell.

Cool. Only comment is that, since it is a sim, my personal preference would for it to be more hands off UI, e.g., without the "... discovered by ..." popups, and a little more realism, little less arcadism, e.g., with the ship flying. And I'd like to feel with the ambience of a new planet that it's really an alien, foreboding place that slowly, unsettlingly discloses itself as you explore, and things aren't quite as frenetic. Concept & execution are great though.

verbose douchebag
    Fuck about, that looks on the right side of tasty. If it lives up to expectations - I'll buy it twice.

65daysofstatic should do the soundtrack for the game, Debutante worked well in the trailer. Looks like the most promising one for me this game. Really need to see more gameplay to actually see how it is like, when played.

Jaw literally hanging open for most of that trailer. Holy bovine.

Reminds me a little of Outcast.

This is on my radar since last E3 (I think) ?
    Anyways, since the first showing it looks too good to be true, have high hopes for this one.

I just watched the older video from the first post again. I'd forgotten just how awesome that one was, too.

Both videos look to me like "pre-scripted scenarios in our (freaking incredible) game engine", so I can only hope (desperately) that there's going to be a game to match. So much potential here.

Yeah, I was trying to keep a dose of critical reality in my last post, but every video is admittedly pretty badass.

Before I put both feet onto the hype wagon I want to know what you're actually going to be able to do in the procedural worlds they're talking up, and whether it stands a chance of staying fresh beyond the bazillionth ice/desert/jungle planet.

Even if this game turns out to not be that deep, the art alone makes it awesome. Course, there ought to be some depth to it than just "fly/walk around in procedurally generated environments." Minecraft did that [read: procedural environments] and while it's cool and all, somehow the game just kind of bores after a while and it takes too long to find good shit. But yeah, I saw their presentation at E3 and felt like drooling.

I was actually a bit taken aback by the fact that it was shown at an E3 press conference. I know it is coming to PS4 first, but if memory serves this is supposed to be a PC game too, so I guess it's a "timed exclusive."
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 11th Jun 2014 at 12:02. Reason: edit: had to clarify my point with minecraft

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Yeah, I was trying to keep a dose of critical reality in my last post, but every video is admittedly pretty badass.

This pretty much. The goddamn awesome kickass soundtrack doesn't make it easier.

verbose douchebag
    That's a 65DaysOfStatic track, I'm not sure their music will feature in game.