TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Alien: Isolation - The First Alien Film Meets System Shock 2?

Touche.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/04/25..._medium=social

Is this great marketing cha cha or are they all really scared, or good actors posing as reviewers or all of the above?

Is this the future of in-game footage releases?

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

IGN did the same fucking thing leading up to the release of Outlast.

Some horror games these days are actually designed with the "Youtube screamer" audience in mind (Eg Daylight). I'm not kidding.

At least EA's "Your mom's gonna hate this" campaign was funny.

They were right too. My mom thought it was a mockery of the survival horror genre. No sense of subtlety or effort to build atmosphere, opting instead for cheap scares.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitions Advocate View Post
    At least EA's "Your mom's gonna hate this" campaign was funny.
    Was that the one for Dead Space 2? I was laughing at how much those moms were overreacting until I played the game and got to the eye surgery scene. Then I was done laughing. o________o

Not a fan of pre-order DLC at all (nor might I even be able to get these, seeing as I live in Europe) - but leaving sales strategy aside, these look damn tasty. *If* they get their Oculus Rift support past the prototype stage, *if* I get an OR and *if* I can get my hands on this DLC, I'll greatly enjoy spending the last few minutes of my life feeling like I'm in Alien... not as Ripley but as one of the people who snuff it earlier on.

Confirmed. Thirith likes snuff films.

And now it's no longer pre-order exclusive, what a surprise!

Likely as it's far more of a game seller than the actual full game.

For Alien fans, the thought of all the actors getting together to do voices would be reason enough to get it.

I expect that most of them will sound considerably older, though. I wonder why Ian Holm didn't join in; he's a great actor and I find his character one of the most fascinating ones in the entire franchise.

Why do you think they're starting Crew Expendable after Brett dies? From the trailer, everybody but he and Kane are in. Kane...well, that one makes sense, but it seems odd to not include Brett.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Brett (and Harry Dean Stanton) are both a part of it, you can see him in the screenshot they've been showcasing. But logically, it wasn't until Brett was killed that they realized that the alien was fully grown, and huge. If you think about it, it's a sensible place for the DLC to start because they now know full well what they're dealing with.

Southquarter.com/fms
    For those interested - a guy who writes a blog I read occasionally tried the game out at E3, using the Oculus, and he posted some brief impressions on his site:

http://www.dreamdawn.com/sh/

It might have been a mistake to watch the gameplay footage right before going to bed.

Intense stuff. It puts me in mind of Aliens on the ZX Spectrum, one of my first great gaming experiences.

I've been waiting for such a game(play):

I'm surprised nobody has posted the new trailer yet.

I think that's because there are so many people internally repeating the phrase "please be good" to notice. I'm waiting for the reviews and player impressions before I dive in.

It's gone gold. Now we just need someone to risk their money for everyone else's benefit and report back.

The main thing I'm worried about is that it'll work extremely well for an hour or two, but then it'll have exhausted its bag of tricks. Alien is a great film, but it's also a *lean* film, and that accounts for some of its greatness. Stretch that sort of experience over 6-10 hours? That's a much trickier proposition. Amnesia, for all its effectiveness, didn't really keep up the tension all the way, and that's probably the game I've seen come up most as a point of comparison.

Southquarter.com/fms
    They should insert some Quick Time Events and 3rd person climbing sequences to add a little variety to the gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    They should insert some Quick Time Events and 3rd person climbing sequences to add a little variety to the gameplay.
    Blasphemy!
    .. None of that would work without linear corridor progression to bolster the narrative. :P

Well, the movies are no stranger to linear corridors. Those poor convicts...

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    The main thing I'm worried about is that it'll work extremely well for an hour or two, but then it'll have exhausted its bag of tricks. Alien is a great film, but it's also a *lean* film, and that accounts for some of its greatness. Stretch that sort of experience over 6-10 hours? That's a much trickier proposition. Amnesia, for all its effectiveness, didn't really keep up the tension all the way, and that's probably the game I've seen come up most as a point of comparison.
    I have the same apprehensions, my friend.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast